Does this site run a bitcoin miner?

H

Halloway

My bitcoin miner-blocker extension says it is blocking a bitcoin miner on this site. Is this a false positive or is the site running a miner?

Looks like it might..

<script type="text/javascript">
!function(){var e=document,t=e.createElement("script"),s=e.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];t.type="text/javascript",t.async=t.defer=!0,t.src="https://load.jsecoin.com/load/31374/morrissey-solo.com/0/0/",s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}();
</script>

Well that's disappointing. Javascript miners are a scourge and should really be penalised in search rankings by Google.

Last edited:
My bitcoin miner-blocker extension says it is blocking a bitcoin miner on this site. Is this a false positive or is the site running a miner?

Grr.... yes. I noticed a popup about a miner this morning.

Motherf***er. There's no excuse for slipping that in the background without telling anyone. Seriously shitty.

Not Bitcoin but a new one called JSEcoin was added as an experiment yesterday. You may opt-out / opt-in from the popup or from the privacy page. The amount of resources used is supposedly less than what a video ad would use according to the FAQ.

I like this concept instead of using ads to monetize / fund the site as working with ad companies has been difficult as the ads themselves are annoying and usually difficult to filter for animal-related products. Please do use the opt-out option if it annoys you.

Please let me know any other feedback. After looking through the site docs I don't see anything malicious. You can set up an account and earn for yourself by mining through your own browser and/or add to your site if you have one (referral link).

Last edited:
Not Bitcoin but a new one called JSEcoin was added as an experiment yesterday. You may opt-out / opt-in from the popup or from the privacy page. The amount of resources used is supposedly less than what a video ad would use according to the FAQ.

I like this concept instead of using ads to monetize / fund the site as working with ad companies has been difficult as the ads themselves are annoying and usually difficult to filter for animal-related products. Please do use the opt-out option if it annoys you.

Please let me know any other feedback. After looking through the site docs I don't see anything malicious. You can set up an account and earn for yourself by mining through your own browser and/or add to your site if you have one (referral link).

Feedback? It's sneaky and underhand. If anything like that is added to a page, it should be made abundantly clear, as should the opt-out option.

Ads are one thing -- they are expected. Secretly making money out of people's visits without it being made suitably clear what's happy is unethical. Keep in mind most people probably don't have the faintest what a cryptocurrency miner is; they are therefore not equipped with the information they need to decide whether to opt in or out -- if they are aware that such an option exists, of course.

I get it seems a bit sneaky, but the pop-up that comes up states pretty clearly and transparently what it is and has links to more info / ways to opt-out. I've read the whitepapers and links on the site and think it's an interesting idea. Did you click on any of those links? Ads might be expected but I still would like to avoid them if there is a better alternative.

Feedback? It's sneaky and underhand. If anything like that is added to a page, it should be made abundantly clear, as should the opt-out option.

Ads are one thing -- they are expected. Secretly making money out of people's visits without it being made suitably clear what's happy is unethical. Keep in mind most people probably don't have the faintest what a cryptocurrency miner is; they are therefore not equipped with the information they need to decide whether to opt in or out -- if they are aware that such an option exists, of course.

I get it seems a bit sneaky, but the pop-up that comes up states pretty clearly and transparently what it is and has links to more info / ways to opt-out. I've read the whitepapers and links on the site and think it's an interesting idea. Did you click on any of those links? Ads might be expected but I still would like to avoid them if there is a better alternative.

Yes... a popup did appear at the bottom of the page. However, as explained on the JSEcoin website, the miner loads after a delay, as does the popup. By the time it had registered on-screen, I'd already clicked on a link without time to read anything it said or click any links it contained.

You can do reasonable category blocking in Adsense. For example, you can block all Food & Groceries, and perhaps Beauty & Personal Care, Apparel, Dining & Nightlife if you want to be stricter about it.

That still leaves a lot of categories open which are unlikely to show non-vegan ads. If ones does slip through, just tell people to report it then block that category.

I know ad-blockers are common these days but I think some non-intrusive text ads with category blocking is a much better option than miners (unless it's a ToS problem related to user-generated content).
And I can't honestly see miner scripts being even worth the hassle from a revenue point of view.

Last edited:

Yeah, I know you're real concerned with site security. Maybe you should read about the way these miners are a way to hide malware. By coming to this site without a browser extension like No Coin each viewer puts their computer to work for you.
"Did you click on any of those links?"
f*** you. You expose people to this and then when you're questioned you ask them to do research? f*** you.

I know ad-blockers are common these days but I think some non-intrusive text ads with category blocking is a much better option than miners (unless it's a ToS problem related to user-generated content).
And I can't honestly see miner scripts being even worth the hassle from a revenue point of view.

Unfortunately, the site is banned from Google Adsense due to the user generated content. You may be right that the revenue won't be worth it but JSEcoin is a new model and I don't think anyone really knows what it will do.

I noticed this earlier. See bottom of screenshot. Is this why the site is slow? Have to disable javascript on here from now on.

IMG_2326.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely it's another issue but you could click the opt-out link to see if it changes anything instead of disabling javascript.

Edit: disabling the script for now to investigate.

I noticed this earlier. See bottom of screenshot. Is this why the site is slow? Have to disable javascript on here from now on.

Last edited:
Surely nobody here logs onto this site or any other site with unsecured crypto-wallets on their hard disk! .........

A useful summary of the current state of play on this controversial topic:

The Future of Browser Mining
Coinhive itself has recommended that all websites that use its technology should put a visible notice on their pages indicating that mining is happening. What’s unclear is whether or not webmasters will comply with this suggestion or not.

For those who do not want to have mining software running in the background and without their knowledge, several anti-mining plugins have been developed that can be used today. Some examples include AntiMiner, NoCoin, and MinerBlock.

As cryptocurrency adoption grows, we are likely to see more and more stealth mining across the board. Some will be legitimate and in the open, and some will be the work of hackers.

https://btcmanager.com/500-million-users-targeted-monero-browser-mining/

Interesting, I did not know there were that many out there and the issues. I believe JSEcoin is trying to do things legitimately but I can see how they would be seen as similar to the others despite the differences. JSEcoin uses much less resource intensity as the others, using less than a video ad would use. I'm talking to the support team and will consider whether to try it again, but likely I'll give it some time to be a little more mature and see if there is general acceptance.

A useful summary of the current state of play on this controversial topic:

The Future of Browser Mining
Coinhive itself has recommended that all websites that use its technology should put a visible notice on their pages indicating that mining is happening. What’s unclear is whether or not webmasters will comply with this suggestion or not.

For those who do not want to have mining software running in the background and without their knowledge, several anti-mining plugins have been developed that can be used today. Some examples include AntiMiner, NoCoin, and MinerBlock.

As cryptocurrency adoption grows, we are likely to see more and more stealth mining across the board. Some will be legitimate and in the open, and some will be the work of hackers.

https://btcmanager.com/500-million-users-targeted-monero-browser-mining/

I can see the challenge - keeping the site self-sustaining when funding is being banjaxed by Ad Block technologies. Main reason I use that stuff is suspicion of hidden scripts- not to deprive you of ad income! Ditto Browser Mining surreptitiously operating in the background.

Problem is the 'bad actors' malware/phishing scams make all of this a heated debate....to put it mildly. I think transparency is always the best and right option so individual users can scan the issues. Briefly looking at the JSEcoin website, I like the 'self-mining' democratic vibe so might take a punt. Also looking at the Gab Start-Engine stuff which resonates with this site's 'free speech' ethic. Everything is in flux & going to get even 'fluxier'. Perhaps at some stage this project will ditch a legally traceable central server & go the p2p route too -before Morrissey finally loses the plot and launches a cruise missile....LOL!

I'm off now as 'other projects' call. Many thanks for hosting this hilarious site & being relatively resolute about First Amendment protocol. Wish we had that here in the UK! My dream scenario would be for Morrissey to 'dox' me/us/them & try to use the English Libel/Defamation shit to stop me debunking him. Now, that would be a fun kamikaze reaction to respond to. Hey Moz! You feeling brave?....bring it, mofo...just make sure your realise I planned that response from the get-go, mofo, & NOTHING would amuse me more than to slaughter your Reputation if you were ever bat-shit crazy to move beyond the 'f*** Morrissey' t-shirt/CPH banning 'sub-species' moderator' nonsense.

And for any of my haterz/trolls lurking reading this who still imagine I'm in 'Mom's Basement' on anti-psychotics spending all day online thinking about Moz...well, I am online all day and most of the night but i'm busy doing rather more interesting shit than debunking a C List has-been....maybe one day I'll bring it to The Stage if time/Fate allows -but suddenly, it's hardly that important.

Enough!

Until the next episode of the Morrissey Crank Fraud Career Car-Crash! Assuming he gets another chance to trash his legacy with BMG...

I will try to resist his trolling of the mixed-race Royal Wedding. Gonna be fun how he manages to retain his Reptilian Royalz bullshit now they've decided to 'Axe The Monarchy' themselves.....but that's for another forum under another deliberately pseudo-anomymous ID.

Morrissey: Suck my BrummieBoy balls....

FIN

I can see the challenge - keeping the site self-sustaining when funding is being banjaxed by Ad Block technologies. Main reason I use that stuff is suspicion of hidden scripts- not to deprive you of ad income! Ditto Browser Mining surreptitiously operating in the background.

Problem is the 'bad actors' malware/phishing scams make all of this a heated debate....to put it mildly. I think transparency is always the best and right option so individual users can scan the issues. Briefly looking at the JSEcoin website, I like the 'self-mining' democratic vibe so might take a punt. Also looking at the Gab Start-Engine stuff which resonates with this site's 'free speech' ethic. Everything is in flux & going to get even 'fluxier'. Perhaps at some stage this project will ditch a legally traceable central server & go the p2p route too -before Morrissey finally loses the plot and launches a cruise missile....LOL!

I'm off now as 'other projects' call. Many thanks for hosting this hilarious site & being relatively resolute about First Amendment protocol. Wish we had that here in the UK! My dream scenario would be for Morrissey to 'dox' me/us/them & try to use the English Libel/Defamation shit to stop me debunking him. Now, that would be a fun kamikaze reaction to respond to. Hey Moz! You feeling brave?....bring it, mofo...just make sure your realise I planned that response from the get-go, mofo, & NOTHING would amuse me more than to slaughter your Reputation if you were ever bat-shit crazy to move beyond the 'f*** Morrissey' t-shirt/CPH banning 'sub-species' moderator' nonsense.

And for any of my haterz/trolls lurking reading this who still imagine I'm in 'Mom's Basement' on anti-psychotics spending all day online thinking about Moz...well, I am online all day and most of the night but i'm busy doing rather more interesting shit than debunking a C List has-been....maybe one day I'll bring it to The Stage if time/Fate allows -but suddenly, it's hardly that important.

Enough!

Until the next episode of the Morrissey Crank Fraud Career Car-Crash! Assuming he gets another chance to trash his legacy with BMG...

I will try to resist his trolling of the mixed-race Royal Wedding. Gonna be fun how he manages to retain his Reptilian Royalz bullshit now they've decided to 'Axe The Monarchy' themselves.....but that's for another forum under another deliberately pseudo-anomymous ID.

Morrissey: Suck my BrummieBoy balls....

FIN

What drugs are you on?

Tags
bitcoin bitcoin miner
Back
Top Bottom