Does the idea of MORRISSEY's next album being all acoustic appeal to you?

Does the idea of MORRISSEY's next album being all acoustic appeal to you?

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
MozGerman99.jpg

To me a regular studio album that is entirely acoustic is not a good idea. If somehow, by fate, it ended up that way, then good. But I don't think they should write specifically for that.

Now I like acoustic songs if they sound good, just like another song. Some songs sound better acoustic, some just as good, others worse. But why is there such an obsession with acoustic performances among some people? How is it "intimate" or "magical" any more so than having electric instruments in the same setting? I can understand how sometimes acoustic will fit the mood perfectly and in a way electric can't, but in general, why is there such fanatical love for acoustic songs/performances? I'm not criticizing those who like it, I'm just asking them why, what am I missing?

One of the things I appreciate most about Morrissey's music is the fact that he's meandered through various styles/sounds as his career has progressed. Quarry, Vauxhall, Bona Drag and TQID are all distinctly different.

For my money, you can't bang out music year after year where the only thing that differentiates one album from the next are a few riff changes.

I think this would be really interesting and he could definately pull it off, however I think he works best with a full band - especially live.

I'm with Kuiper on this one. Morrissey has never been a singer/songwriter in the same vein as Damien Rice, Nick Drake etc, so I dont think an all acoustic album would suit him. It simply doesn't fit his style in my opinion. I'm all for Morrissey branching out musically and being more experimental with his overall sound, but I dont think that this is the particular direction to go in.

I am not however, adverse to some acoustic tracks thrown in for good measure, if they can be pulled of and executed with panache. At the moment, I'm in love with "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name", so I can certainly imagine something like that working again.

It could start off as acoustic and evolve into full electric set. Or the reversed. In an all acoustic sound a sudden electric guitar could sound heavenly.

That's the sort of thing artists who have run out of ideas do.

*cough* Eagles! *cough*!
couldn't agree more!!!!

If Morrissey plans to do an Acoustic album, I’d much rather have a live acoustic album covering old songs such as Unplugged. However I am not one to dismiss ideas straight away, it could be interesting to have a completely acoustic album, and it would make Morrissey that extra bit diverse. I have my doubts, but we cannot comment in depth on such an issue until we hear acoustic songs by Morrissey. Music is about experimenting and this is a great way to experiment, I am in full support of this notion.

If Morrissey plans to do an Acoustic album, I’d much rather have a live acoustic album covering old songs such as Unplugged. However I am not one to dismiss ideas straight away, it could be interesting to have a completely acoustic album, and it would make Morrissey that extra bit diverse. I have my doubts, but we cannot comment in depth on such an issue until we hear acoustic songs by Morrissey. Music is about experimenting and this is a great way to experiment, I am in full support of this notion.

Thanks for your considered response. I love the use of string instruments on Moz's studio albums and would love to see / hear Morrissey playing in front of a classical orchestra.

I suggested some time ago that he should get a casio keyboard and go new wave, but it fell on deaf ears. ;)

It would be interesting if this happened. I think the reason it would happen is if Morrissey happened to be writing songs that he imagined being performed with acoustic instruments. That's to contrast with some people who will choose a certain style and perform an album or do performances in that style. Morrissey has done rockabilly and glam but I don't think he woke up one day and decided he would do a glam record. It was probably what those songs called for and maybe the type of music they were being influenced by at the time. I can't imagine Morrissey doing one of those "songs from the great American songbook" records like Rod Stewart. Choosing to work with Mick Ronson and Tony Visconti might have been sort of "conceptual" but I'm talking about the difference between a performer/entertainer type like Wayne Newton and a singer songwriter like David Bowie or Bob Dylan or even a conceptual artist type like Brian Eno. Of course Bowie and Dylan are pretty conceptual too, so the boundaries are never clear.

Anyway, an acoustic album would be great if that's what he was listening to and influenced by at the time, and if that's how he heard the songs. A small club tour with just Boz an Moz doing acoustic music would be great. Morrissey probably likes all those old murder ballads, anyway, and I wouldn't mind hearing a traditional folk song album even.

Of course, any album would be great! ;) :)

It would be interesting if this happened. I think the reason it would happen is if Morrissey happened to be writing songs that he imagined being performed with acoustic instruments. That's to contrast with some people who will choose a certain style and perform an album or do performances in that style. Morrissey has done rockabilly and glam but I don't think he woke up one day and decided he would do a glam record. It was probably what those songs called for and maybe the type of music they were being influenced by at the time. I can't imagine Morrissey doing one of those "songs from the great American songbook" records like Rod Stewart. Choosing to work with Mick Ronson and Tony Visconti might have been sort of "conceptual" but I'm talking about the difference between a performer/entertainer type like Wayne Newton and a singer songwriter like David Bowie or Bob Dylan or even a conceptual artist type like Brian Eno. Of course Bowie and Dylan are pretty conceptual too, so the boundaries are never clear.

Anyway, an acoustic album would be great if that's what he was listening to and influenced by at the time, and if that's how he heard the songs. A small club tour with just Boz an Moz doing acoustic music would be great. Morrissey probably likes all those old murder ballads, anyway, and I wouldn't mind hearing a traditional folk song album even.

Of course, any album would be great! ;) :)

Cool. Thanks Dave. :)

Back
Top Bottom