Does Morrissey use Auto-Tune?

A

Anonymous

I keep reading speculation about this,and I can't help wondering myself. Does Moz use Auto-Tune on his vocals these days, or is he just so technically improved from earlier that it sometimes sounds like it? If he does,what year did he start using it?

I'm not all up on the technical side, but this guy seems to be able to use a program to analyse vocal lines, not sure if anyone has something similar?

What are people's opinions on this?

I keep reading speculation about this,and I can't help wondering myself. Does Moz use Auto-Tune on his vocals these days, or is he just so technically improved from earlier that it sometimes sounds like it? If he does,what year did he start using it?

I'm not all up on the technical side, but this guy seems to be able to use a program to analyse vocal lines, not sure if anyone has something similar?

What are people's opinions on this?

I can’t really judge if he is or isn’t in
the clip of Veronica, on his lead vocal. I remember some discussion about it being used a little on ‘knock about world’ (?) though I haven’t listened to it in a while. I personally don’t have any problem with him using it, or even it’s over use in popular music.

Yes, "Knockabout World" totally has some vocal effects on it, but that's "OK by me"

Yeah, I have no problem when it’s used (abused) as an effect. But I do have a problem with it when it’s used as it was meant to be used, to correct one’s imperfect pitch.

he has used it but obviously as an effect, not to correct a bad voice....

My gut feeling is that I am not that bothered what studio tricks are used 'behind the scenes', as long as the resulting song/album sounds good, that's all that really matters. It's more when artists have to start using that stuff live as well, that you get into really dodgy robotic territory. That said, his voice does sound so polished these days, I'd love to know whether there is some digital manipulation going on, or he's just really hitting every note spot-on naturally.

he has used it but obviously as an effect, not to correct a bad voice....

Not a bad voice, but he's been known to stray off pitch, why not use whatever studio tricks available to make a great recording? I don't see anything wrong with that.

I have no problem when it’s used (abused) as an effect. But I do have a problem with it when it’s used as it was meant to be used, to correct one’s imperfect pitch.
i have posted on here before about a professor of music praising M for singing out of tune on Dear God Please Help Me,he said it was so good to hear as all the other people making music at the time were using autotune.the article appeared on here i would imagine about six months to a year after ringleaders release.

from someone who uses these tools in the studio everyday...if it was any production worth it's weight in gold and you wanted to be transparent as possible you'd use melodyne. the difference between melodyne and autotune is an afternoon's worth of manual labor to get the least amount of negative tuning artifacts versus the set it and forget it option with some discernable fingerprints left behind. let's be clear...all tuning software will leave their traces, it's just what "sounds" the most transparent. if it's very subtle...by the time you throw some eq, compression and reverb on the vocal i'd doubt anyone would know. i can't be arsed right now to track down a modern moz isolated vocal track and throw it up on the rack to take a look but i'd be surprised if it wasn't used a smidge here and there.

Yeah, I have no problem when it’s used (abused) as an effect. But I do have a problem with it when it’s used as it was meant to be used, to correct one’s imperfect pitch.
yes, but if johnny Marr or brett Anderson used it, you would bitch them out It's funny the people m attracts, like you, are largely nothing like him. I guess all fans are the same in their manic follower fashion

That was clearly a missed opportunity when it came to picking covers for the 'California Son' album. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom