Does Morrissey still like Jon Stewart after he abused a camel for a comedy bit?

I should give a link to the person who captured this crime on videotape:

"Video: The Daily Show starts camel crisis at the Capitol!"

Some of the comments from that blog:

Another comment from that blog:

From Mark Herder on 02/22/11 at 7:19 am
Where is the outcry from PETA? If there was ever a case that could be a focus for PETA, this is it. My guess is that we won't hear a thing because PETA also supports democrats.

Bob Barker...come on down.

We shall see.

They did - most gently - make a teachable moment out of Obama's murder of a fly, however:

[youtube]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sV3_LUBGTU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6sV3_LUBGTU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/youtube]

PETA:
Believe it or not, we've actually been contacted by multiple media outlets wanting to know PETA's official response to the executive insect execution.

In a nutshell, our position is this: He isn't the Buddha, he's a human being, and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act.

I guess we'll wait and see when PETA's blog decides to care about that camel.

Right now they're busy going on about this:

Star light, star bright, adopting animals left and right.

Denise Richards is in love again—with her new rescued buddy, Chocolate Chip. When the homeless terrier mix appeared on a dog-themed episode of The View that Richards was co-hosting, she curled up in the actor's lap—and never left. That did it for Richards, and soon Chocolate Chip was on a sweet trip to L.A. to meet her new fur siblings.

Emmy Rossum, star of the new Showtime drama Shameless, isn't ashamed to admit that she's a sucker for a cute stray-cat strut. While in Chicago shooting street scenes for the show, Rossum encountered a bedraggled stray cat, scooped her up, got her some much-needed veterinary care, and carted her off to L.A. to live happily ever after.

But we know how PETA really treats homeless dogs and cats:

dead_dog.jpg

Theo, you need to stop, hun. You have commited so many logically fallacious arguments in this thread it's mind boggling (Hypothesis Contrary to Fact and Appeal to Sympathy to name a few in your initial post) that it doesn't surprise me that you're a student of the master manipulator of words, Mr. Limbaugh. Good work! Now if you'd like I can post a pic of Sarah Palin trying to shoot a caribou if you want to even the scales of just how evil the republicans are to animals as well. :rolleyes:

Thats horrific. The idiot at the beginning in the red cap punching the camel in the throat to control it, what a sick wanker. I couldn't watch all the scenes as they're obviously too upsetting, but well done for bringing this into the public attention. I take my hat off to you. Exposure is the best way of stopping these sick acts from happening again in the future.
PS I've controlled my language and anger here but that does not reflect how I feel about the scum in these films. Morrissey related or not, makes no difference. These people should be removed from the planet. Absolute scum........

Theo, you need to stop, hun. You have commited so many logically fallacious arguments in this thread it's mind boggling (Hypothesis Contrary to Fact and Appeal to Sympathy to name a few in your initial post) that it doesn't surprise me that you're a student of the master manipulator of words, Mr. Limbaugh. Good work! Now if you'd like I can post a pic of Sarah Palin trying to shoot a caribou if you want to even the scales of just how evil the republicans are to animals as well. :rolleyes:

I don't know what you're talking about with your fancy-pants claims that I was making some logical fallacies. I am a sensitive person who was disgusted to see that camel abused. I'm still upset about it.

You can smear me all you like, but the record on this forum shows that I did NOT vote for Sarah Palin to be VP for two reasons: (1) John McCain, at the top of her ticket, backed bail-outs that I could not support; (2) Sarah Palin, at the bottom of the ticket, supported aerial wolf hunting in Alaska which shocked my conscience and disgusted me.

See, for one example, February 7, 2009, 10:24 PM: where I posted this:
"I didn't vote for the Republicans because McCain came out for the bailouts (*), which I feel will prolong and deepen the recession. I voted for Bob Barr as a protest vote. George W. Bush was terrible in these areas, as well.....
*And also because Palin was too into aerial wolf hunting, which I oppose."

Note how right I was about the recession. Thanks Obama!

I'm not against all hunting, but I researched the aerial wolf hunting under Sarah Palin in Alaska and I found it barbaric, and I found it to be a defining aspect of her character which prevented me from voting for her despite all her obvious charms in the campaign. Sure, I love how she drives leftoids nuts and forces things into the debate that the Left and their media allies would rather keep the people in the dark about ("death panels", for example), but this does not mean I supported her in the last election, or would support her in any election. As a matter of fact, I have never supported Palin in any election.

In the last presidential election I voted for Bob Barr as a protest against both parties. You voted for the disgrace in the White House; maybe you should just apologize to your fellow citizens and keep quiet about people like me who had things right.

I don't bow down to the throne of the worst president of history, Barack Obama, so you come at me with rubbish about Rush Limbaugh. In a thread about The Daily Show abusing a camel! Of course I like some things Rush says. He's a funny satirist and, what - am I supposed to tune in to MSNBC or Saturday Night Live for some hard-hitting commentary or mockery about Obama? The fact that you are unable to find humor in Rush's show, and carry grudges against people who have ever said a nice word about Rush in the past, shows what a rigid, bigoted, and intolerant partisan you are. And patronizing too - I ain't your "hun".

None of that has anything to do with this thread.

If partisan politics comes into this thread at all, it is to point out that the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals didn't take this horrendous incident of animal abuse seriously, perhaps because they want to go easy on The Daily Show because it is a left-wing comedy show. I think that says something about PETA. Why weren't they all over this case? Why do we still not know if that camel is okay? Why don't we know anything about who The Daily Show rented this camel from, and who the camel's handlers were? The camel was clearly being handled by people who didn't know what they were doing. Has PETA looked into whether it was even legal for The Daily Show to have that camel at the public square around all those crowds of people? Was that not foreseeably dangerous to both the camel and the people on the square?

Just because you, CrystalGeezer, do not give a sh*t about that camel, please don't troll this thread with your attacks based on your simplistic interpretations about my politics. I'm not a token guest on The Rachel Maddow Show infiltrating a cocoon of smug democrats who only care about what makes Democrats look good and who want to demonize anyone who doesn't believe Nancy Pelosi is the most brilliant person of our time. I presume I'm posting in a forum populated by real people in the real world who might care about real world abuse of a real animal. This is not about what you think I've said about Rush or Palin in other threads. This is about The Daily Show, an abused camel, and PETA.

Last edited:
I saw the other day that, shortly after I had posted attacks on PETA here, some of the most high profile blogs began calling out PETA over their strange silence about this incident.

Here, for example, was InstaPundit, one of the most high-traffic political bloggers on the internet:

“TRULY NAUSEATING:” Daily Show camel stunt fail. “You know, the world is real. And ‘The Daily Show’ is fake.”

Plus, where is the outcry from PETA? “Probably hanging out with the outcry from the Freedom From Religion Foundation over the Reverend Jesse Jackson leading a prayer (with the crowd of protesters in the Wisconsin Capitol rotunda).”

See also, a blog called Althouse, one of the more influencial blogs on the internet, written by a law professor in Madison, Wisconsin, where this took place.

Althouse did a previous post about this where she gave her commentary about the incident itself, which reflected my own feelings when I saw the video:

February 23, 2011
"The Daily Show" brings a live camel to icy downtown Madison to do a comedy skit, and it gets entangled in a metal fence and falls down horribly.

She makes good points in her post, and adds:
"I'd like an investigation. Should someone be prosecuted?"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt there should be some sort of investigation. In the comments she points out that this camel not only was being harmed, but could also have caused harm to people on the square.

Althouse also tees off on the "journalist" who filmed the footage, who I had mistaken for a college kid who just happened to be there:

The reporter, Jack Craver, apparently obliges John Oliver who tells him to shut off the camera. The animal struggles for 10 minutes, we hear in the final video, but there's no video of most of that — it seems because Craver bowed to the authority of a comedian. Craver refers to Oliver as a "correspondent." Hello? He's an actor.

And, after Craver comes by the blog to defend himself, and claims he didn't shut the camera off when asked to by Oliver:

If you have the full 10 minutes of the suffering camel on the ground. Please post it. Or send it to me and I will post it. And please tell me why your face looked so fresh after looking at that 10 minutes of torture. And why you wrote a cutesy post about it as if you were pleased that you got to see a celebrity and scoop some video.

This is some of the stuff being argued out there while we were waiting - for days - for PETA to give a damn. The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, who should have been on top of it from the get-go.

Last edited:
I guess to cover their asses, PETA did, finally, post a few words about this incident on their blog, The PETA Files (where almost no one will see it):

Posted 02-24-2011 -- The Daily Show With Jon Stewart consistently airs hilarious stories, but the show recently bombed big-time with the public. As part of an ill-conceived skit, the show dragged a live camel onto the slick, snowy streets of Madison, Wisconsin. After the camel got stuck in a fence, an onlooker captured video footage of the camel's handlers jabbing the animal in the neck and yanking her so hard that she fell to the ground. One handler continued to aggressively jerk the camel even though she might have been injured.

PETA says they wrote a letter to the show asking them to leave animals out of their skits.

And then they conclude: "Not funny, guys, not funny."

I guess that's better than nothing. It's not even as much as they did about the camel at the church, though (see upthread).

Shouldn't PETA have jumped on this, and contacted the Madison police and prosecutors? And investigated who the camel was, who owns the camel, and who was handling the camel that day? This was an incident of serious animal abuse in progress, and probably still ongoing. Shouldn't they be getting to the bottom of it?

That's what I would expect from a group called The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Instead they remind us how funny The Daily Show is, and this time the show just goofed with an ill-conceived skit. Not funny, guys, but no biggie. Blogs are calling us out so we had to post this item.

Who knows if the camel is okay right now?

From PETA's own comments:

nancy commented: 2-25-2011 3:49 PM PETA Thanks for letting people know this happened, but I agree with another comment that you're being too easy on Jon Stewart.

Just like the National Organization for Women went soft on Bill Clinton when he was credibly accused of rape, and was proven to be using a female intern for blow jobs in exchange for getting her new career opportunities.

Why don't these groups ever learn? If you want us to take you seriously, you need to stick to your principles.

Last edited:
Thats horrific. The idiot at the beginning in the red cap punching the camel in the throat to control it, what a sick wanker. I couldn't watch all the scenes as they're obviously too upsetting, but well done for bringing this into the public attention. I take my hat off to you. Exposure is the best way of stopping these sick acts from happening again in the future.

Sadly, if some of us hadn't spoken out about this animal abuse by The Daily Show, I doubt PETA would have posted even their soft-pedaling little comment about it on their blog. They should have been leading the charge and gotten to the bottom of things, but their priorities apparently lay elsewhere.

BTW: Part of the reason I compiled various items in this thread was so they'd be easy to find when people do Google searches on the matter.

5481885281_6023097b1e.jpg

How mature of you.

You do realize by agreeing with Theo's underhanded arguments about Peta and Jon Stewart and the raging left that you are also subscribing to his theory that Morrissey is in someway a hippocrite and animal abuser himself? That Theo is using twisted logic to appeal to the hearts and not the minds of people and in-so-doing, manipulating ACTUAL truth through tainted phrases and planted thoughts? I love me some Theo but in this case, I'm afraid I have to take the immature route.

You do realize by agreeing with Theo's underhanded arguments about Peta and Jon Stewart and the raging left that you are also subscribing to his theory that Morrissey is in someway a hippocrite and animal abuser himself? That Theo is using twisted logic to appeal to the hearts and not the minds of people and in-so-doing, manipulating ACTUAL truth through tainted phrases and planted thoughts? I love me some Theo but in this case, I'm afraid I have to take the immature route.

Anyone who can't see immediately through Theo's silly little exercises in selective cut and paste is beyond help. The occasional good points he raises are overshadowed by his habitual and myopic choice of targets and topics.

Anyone who can't see immediately through Theo's silly little exercises in selective cut and paste is beyond help. The occasional good points he raises are overshadowed by his habitual and myopic choice of targets and topics.

Thank you for saying this. I thought you were serious in your first post. Whew. My jaw was dropping at the agreement comments he was collecting like pinned butterflies in his collection of mindless bandwagonerring. Or something.

On 13 May 1983 a previously unknown band called The Smiths release a single called Hand in Glove, initiating five years of releases of music and lyrics the likes of which rock music had never seen, permanently changing the landscape of modern music and expanding the limits of the pop lyric as a literary genre.

28 years later, a forum ostensibly devoted to the man who produced said lyrics features a two-page thread of invective occasioned by a camel being mildly inconvenienced by an american talk-show host, started by a right-wing political obsessive who doesn't mind talking to himself when nobody else will listen, as is frequently the case.

Don't you think something went wrong, somewhere?

I think I might be taking a break from this place.

On 13 May 1983 a previously unknown band called The Smiths release a single called Hand in Glove, initiating five years of releases of music and lyrics the likes of which rock music had never seen, permanently changing the landscape of modern music and expanding the limits of the pop lyric as a literary genre.

28 years later, a forum ostensibly devoted to the man who produced said lyrics features a two-page thread of invective occasioned by a camel being mildly inconvenienced by an american talk-show host, started by a right-wing political obsessive who doesn't mind talking to himself when nobody else will listen, as is frequently the case.

Don't you think something went wrong, somewhere?

I think I might be taking a break from this place.

:thumb:

Arsehole City on this website, and has been for ages.

Thank you for saying this. I thought you were serious in your first post. Whew. My jaw was dropping at the agreement comments he was collecting like pinned butterflies in his collection of mindless bandwagonerring. Or something.

It worries me a little that I was able to pull-off such a convincing impression of a typical, vacant Palinite.

This is probably an irrelevant topic, but Feddie just sat on her own face. This is a major development in the history of mankind. HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAT ON THEIR OWN FACE? not many i assume. Everyone on this thread is a communist pig. How dare you spread your lies and dickishness about the world through the medium of the internet. I wish all of you a brutal and slightly erotic death. Die Communist Dart Guns.

Tags
peta
Back
Top Bottom