Does Morrissey need a new sound

Re: Does Morrissey needs a new sound

Damn, I thought you may have more about you than that.

When Hawley went for the audition it was in the early 90's, he had never song a word at that point. What on earth would Morrisey be jealous of then or now?
As you well know, Morrissey has managed to change music and had an impact on other artistic mediums,he has been in one of the most important bands the UK has produced, he's become a living legend and still makes interesting music (when he can be bothered), all these years later.

Richard Hawley, was in a Suede rip off band (The Longpigs), done a few solo LPs that are good but nothing special had a song on an advert and he hangs around with rent an over gown student Jarvis.

It's not shallow to make a comment about someones looks or lack of style in the least- thats very 2 + 2 thinking.
I could make a comment back but am utterly bored with the arguments one gets into on these sites

Hawley has had some good songs but they are not as emotionally intelligent,witty or daring as Morrissey at his best, they are not that much better than Morrisey at his worst.
As I say he has barley even found his own voice, he tends to sound like he is aping others- including Moz

How anyone who isn't very myopic can say that Hawley looks good is a joke.
He has a hair lip, no decent facial features, an awful quiff and follows the normal 70s rock dress code.

People will be saying the Longpigs were the best band of the 90s next

Ok,Lets agree to disagree M.A.D.Good though inni? Oh,sorry,have you heard of The Nosebleeds?

Last edited:

I just googled Richard Hawley to see what you're all on about. On his official website, in the pics in his gallery it looks like he's trying massively hard to BE Morrissey...and failing.
http://www.richardhawley.co.uk/gallery/images/

YES to the Rourke bit. Although I also think some heavy piano/crooning/strings is quite attractive.

Haha no to the Gannon? You've got to say Gannon in Wolverhampton 88, has some superb guitar lead there! I've always wondered why Rourke never bothered to tour with Morrissey through his 1991 gigs. I thought Rourke was still recording with Morrissey then?

Haha no to the Gannon? You've got to say Gannon in Wolverhampton 88, has some superb guitar lead there! I've always wondered why Rourke never bothered to tour with Morrissey through his 1991 gigs. I thought Rourke was still recording with Morrissey then?

Nothing personal against Gannon - I've just got a soft spot for Andy and would love to see/hear more of him.

I think Rourke should have definately toured in 91 with Morrissey, it would also clear up the whole "Does Morrissey hate Rourke?" debate too!

Last edited by a moderator:

They nearly did, Hawley went for an audition with Moz and Moz (wisely) turned him down.
I expect Moz took one look at him and thought, sorry lad NO! (Hawley isn't the best looking man and Moz is, for better or for worse, an aesthete).

Moz an aesthete...so how come he hasn't fired Boz yet?

Moz an aesthete...so how come he hasn't fired Boz yet?

Now My Heart Is Full, Reader Meet Author, Come Back To Camden, Speedway, Satan Rejected My Soul, Christian Dior, Jack The Ripper, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, Maladjusted, Spring Heeled Jim....and the list goes on.

I think Boz has more than earned his right to stay.

Now My Heart Is Full, Reader Meet Author, Come Back To Camden, Speedway, Satan Rejected My Soul, Christian Dior, Jack The Ripper, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, Maladjusted, Spring Heeled Jim....and the list goes on.

I think Boz has more than earned his right to stay.

Thanks for enlightening me...I wasn't actually serious. I'm not quite that vacuous!

hmmmm

I agree with you. I love every damn song by The Smiths and Morrissey.

Btw, this c*** can't even write. Look at the title, "Does Morrissey needs a new sound?"

You don't have to call Aly Panic with a c-word just because of a typo.

If you repeat this again outside the pigsty, you will be given an infraction.

i would love some piano......even though rufus wainwright voice is not my abslolute fave he writes lovely songs-so rufus..

i also would love some orchestra...
100% agree that's exactly why I liked Ring leader of the Tormentors. The orchestral, piano pieces were lovely unlike Years of Refusal distorted guitars and music that is layered and overproduced to whithin an inch of it's life.

I like Years of Refusal, but I do find it to be a little... I don't, dense. There isn't much air in it. I'd like to hear something a bit more brioche and a little less bagel. :)

Morrisseys sound is fine, he has produced great sounds and fantastic albums for years now, all his albums are slightly different in sound anyway so stop moaning, Years of refusal was great and i believe his next album will be too

I just googled Richard Hawley to see what you're all on about. On his official website, in the pics in his gallery it looks like he's trying massively hard to BE Morrissey...and failing.
http://www.richardhawley.co.uk/gallery/images/

Richard Hawley doesn't have to try to be anything, and has nothing to prove. Beyond reproach, in my book. Also he sounds nothing whatsoever like Morrissey.

cheers

I'd love to hear Morrissey backed by a band like The Bad Seeds ... Nick Cave has had some tunes on the last few albums in particular that I would love to hear with Morrissey up front (not saying they're bad with Cave, just could work with Moz too). Some really atmospheric/brooding tunes.
I actually think "My Dearest Love" is probably the best thing he's done in the past 10 years .. there is something about the music that really is quite brooding and wonderful. But to go even further into that ... something like V&I territory but more menacing and impactful.

Richard Hawley doesn't have to try to be anything, and has nothing to prove. Beyond reproach, in my book. Also he sounds nothing whatsoever like Morrissey.

cheers

I think your find I said he is often aping other voices, including morrisseys.
I didn't say he sounded like Morrissey.

Some of the music is quite like Morrissey would use though.

I think your find I said he is often aping other voices, including morrisseys.
I didn't say he sounded like Morrissey.

What, he's aping Morrissey's voice, but doesn't sound like him? Making an unsuccessful attempt then? How do you know he's trying, exactly? ;)

The music (at least on the past three albums, which is what I know) is totally on the side of anything Morrissey's done, as far as I can tell. There's lots of associations (from Jim Reeves to Frank Sinatra to Pulp to Elvis), but Morrissey has never once been one of them, for my part. Same goes for the voice, which it would frankly never occur to me to compare to Moz's in any way or sense. Where and how do you hear that?

cheers

He needs to recruit Wild Nothing as his back-up band. They walked out of a time machine from 1986 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom