Does Morrissey drink alcohol?

i think i've been to that bar.... it was full of beauitful people!

Well, if for no other reason, he should come to Melbourne, Australia.
Because Melbourne Bitter is the best beer in the world! I mean to say,
isn't Corona a boutique type beer? A bit of a poshy beer?
Oh well, each to his own, I guess.
Cheers Mr Morrissey.

What kind of self-comforting bit of inane logic is that? On what would you base such a premise? Should we suppose abstinence is a sign of intellect? Does avoiding life's pleasures because they may be hazardous if over-indulged in make one strong-minded? Does the fear of relinquishing some of our inhibitions make us fools or is being overly inhibited the sign of a weak mind?

I wish he didnt...............drinking is for the weak of mind.

What kind of self-comforting bit of inane logic is that? On what would you base such a premise? Should we suppose abstinence is a sign of intellect? Does avoiding life's pleasures because they may be hazardous if over-indulged in make one strong-minded? Does the fear of relinquishing some of our inhibitions make us fools or is being overly inhibited the sign of a weak mind?

i think drinking is for the weakminded, yes. because i know from my own experience how those wonderful pleasures of life can, with time, comletely take over and turn you into a slave. so, if he drinks, i hope not every day at least.

i think drinking is for the weakminded, yes. because i know from my own experience how those wonderful pleasures of life can, with time, comletely take over and turn you into a slave. so, if he drinks, i hope not every day at least.

I think it's perfectly okay if you choose not to drink alcohol. If this is your way, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. But saying that drinking is for the weak is a statement that I can't quite follow. I think that someone who is having a drink once in a while and does not become an alcoholic is much stronger a person than someone who doesn't even try because he's afraid.

I've been drinking alcohol every single day for the last let's fifteen years. Not much, but a beer or two in the evening ... there is nothing over a cold beer after a day of hard work.

I think it all depends on WHY you're drinking. If you drink just to get drunk, you'll probably end up as an alcoholic. But if you actually enjoy the taste of what you're drinking, the chance of loosing control is much lower.

I like having a good beer or wine or rum or obstler or blutwurz. And sometimes I overdo it. But I don't have any withdrawel symptoms whatsoever when I don't drink. Does that make me a weak minded person?

Drinking isn't necessarly for the weakminded only.....there are tons of people like me who will have a drink once in a while just for the refreshing taste or to lift up the ambience/pick up the mood at a party full of dull people.

If a person is already weakminded and they decide to take up drinking to cover up their lack of self-respect/low self-esteem, then that person will most likely end up being f***ed by the alcohol. Once it becomes the reason to live or indespensible in order to feel good...it's pretty much over. I did tons of crystal meth and other stuff for nearly two years in my 19-20 age and it never became an addiction, it was all pure fun.....the day I decided to quit Nov. 29 2001 after a bad experience at a concert, I simply did and never touched it again. Not hard if one's got the will power.

Alcohol and drugs are fine if used for leisure purposes, I guess.....but if used to cover-up some deep-rooted sadness, insecurity, or traumatic experience, chances are they will only end up making things worse in the long run and possibly destroying a person's life....I've seen this happen to a few people and it's very sad and pathetic.

im back bitch

New York?

I think it's perfectly okay if you choose not to drink alcohol. If this is your way, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. But saying that drinking is for the weak is a statement that I can't quite follow. I think that someone who is having a drink once in a while and does not become an alcoholic is much stronger a person than someone who doesn't even try because he's afraid.

I've been drinking alcohol every single day for the last let's fifteen years. Not much, but a beer or two in the evening ... there is nothing over a cold beer after a day of hard work.

I think it all depends on WHY you're drinking. If you drink just to get drunk, you'll probably end up as an alcoholic. But if you actually enjoy the taste of what you're drinking, the chance of loosing control is much lower.

I like having a good beer or wine or rum or obstler or blutwurz. And sometimes I overdo it. But I don't have any withdrawel symptoms whatsoever when I don't drink. Does that make me a weak minded person?

are you really trying to tell me that beer TASTES good and that's why you drink it? and the first time you tried beer because all your friends drank it so you had to too - how did it taste? good? I doubt it. I remember it tasted absolutely awful - and wine tastes absolutely awful too the first few times. we should at least admit that we drink these beverages made of rotten fruit for their amusing effect. and of course, after we get used to them they taste really good. no question. the taste buds adapt, that's scientifically proved:D
I am not saying anything about anyone or lecturing anyone - if you can stop after one beer then good for you. all I'm saying that it's easy to get carried away without even noticing it - and the glass become two and then you're blue and drink the rest of the wine bottle for breakfast. I alsways go thru such phases and i don't like them a bit.
but hell, I'm not trying to be Allen Carr here - it's just - I liked it a lot when Morrissey said in an interview that he doesn't drink because this sex drugs booze and rockn roll cliche is sooooo boooooring already - and so utterly useless. so if he's all pissed every day like all the other 'crashing bores', well then I'm a bit disappointed, that's all.

are you really trying to tell me that beer TASTES good and that's why you drink it? and the first time you tried beer because all your friends drank it so you had to too - how did it taste? good?

Yes, it did taste good when I first tried it. I instantly loved it. And I still do. Of course, I am talking about GOOD beer, not that crap that we all know from the tv commercials. That's what I used to drink when I was young, because I didn't know better. But now - having visited about 200 small bavarian breweries and trying at least one type of beer in each brewery - I have become somewhat picky.

and the glass become two and then you're blue and drink the rest of the wine bottle for breakfast.

It just depends on what you're having for breakfast. A glass of white wine or champagne on a sunday morning, along with smoked salmon or matjes herring ... what a wonderful way to start the day!

It just depends on what you're having for breakfast. A glass of white wine or champagne on a sunday morning, along with smoked salmon or matjes herring ... what a wonderful way to start the day!

noooo greasy fish osso - I am vegetarian. just a glass of rotten fermented fruit (rest of last nights cheap winebottle) before my coffee - how about that? and nothing else. kicks in faster that way. and not on a sunday but before work :rolleyes:

noooo greasy fish osso - I am vegetarian. just a glass of rotten fermented fruit (rest of last nights cheap winebottle) before my coffee - how about that? and nothing else. kicks in faster that way. and not on a sunday but before work :rolleyes:

Well, THAT is sad ...

I don't think Morrissey ever said he doesn't drink.

People just assumed it because he said he was celibate, vegetarian and didn't do drugs. In their eyes being teetotal went with that.

It's a bit like him waving flowers about, being non-aggressive and reading books. In some people's eyes that went with being gay.

are you really trying to tell me that beer TASTES good and that's why you drink it? and the first time you tried beer because all your friends drank it so you had to too - how did it taste? good? I doubt it. I remember it tasted absolutely awful - and wine tastes absolutely awful too the first few times. we should at least admit that we drink these beverages made of rotten fruit for their amusing effect. and of course, after we get used to them they taste really good. no question. the taste buds adapt, that's scientifically proved:D
I am not saying anything about anyone or lecturing anyone - if you can stop after one beer then good for you. all I'm saying that it's easy to get carried away without even noticing it - and the glass become two and then you're blue and drink the rest of the wine bottle for breakfast. I alsways go thru such phases and i don't like them a bit.
but hell, I'm not trying to be Allen Carr here - it's just - I liked it a lot when Morrissey said in an interview that he doesn't drink because this sex drugs booze and rockn roll cliche is sooooo boooooring already - and so utterly useless. so if he's all pissed every day like all the other 'crashing bores', well then I'm a bit disappointed, that's all.
It would be booooooring if he stuck forever to the image he created in 1983 or 1984 and arranged his life according to this. I don't expect him to uphold an ascetic lifestyle, actually, that would be rather stupid. There's nothing wrong with drinking a bit of wine or beer from time to time, if that's what you like, there's nothing wrong with even getting a bit tipsy once in a while - if you don't make it a habit, or if you don't get smashed so much that you start acting like a total pig, or even worse. I don't smoke, but I like to smoke a few cigarettes when I go out, which is usually once at week (I never smoke on any other occasion) and sometimes I drink a bit of red wine or a cocktail (I can't stand the taste of beer and I can't stand pure vodka or whiskey). Yes, people like the 'effect' it has (just like I drink coffee every day because I love its taste, but also because of its effect), but I only like the effect it has in small dosages. Most of the time, I'm completely sober even at parties and in clubs, but I did get a bit tipsy a couple of times. it's very pleasant, but I would never go as far to get to smashed to not be able to control my behaviour or start acting like an idiot. Well, it all depends on how much you drink and if you can control it and stop yourself before you turn into a disgusting drunken pig - or much worse. I am well aware that alcohol, when used excessively, is a dangerous hard drug - certainly far worse than cigarettes or weed, because they usually don't make people beat up their wife or kids, run someone over with a car, or shoot into the air and end up killing a passer-by or a neighbour! :eek:

I don't think Morrissey ever said he doesn't drink.

People just assumed it because he said he was celibate, vegetarian and didn't do drugs. In their eyes being teetotal went with that.

It's a bit like him waving flowers about, being non-aggressive and reading books. In some people's eyes that went with being gay.
Hmmm, well, that's true if you mean "not physically aggressive".

As for drinking, he didn't say he didn't drink. He just drank a lot less (and less often) than his Smiths bandmates and many other rock stars.

To quote the man himself from Q magazine in 1994:

Q: How much of a hedonist are you these days? You were seen as a monastic figure and here you are drinking lager in a pub.
Everybody has the right to change. Do I not? Must I remain stuck in those brackets? Nothing infuriates me more than being bracketed by people I've never met. It's limiting and it's dismissive and I've never made any effort to be anything other than what I am....

Q: Do you get drunk and have sex and take drugs?
In answer to the first part of the question, yes. I have a great interest in alcohol and as time goes by I find it more comforting, although I'm not by any means an alcoholic so please don't blandish that in heavy upper case. Earlier, in The Smiths, I was always so conscientious. It was important that I remembered all the words so perhaps I was over-cautious and over-delicate. I felt throughout the whole time of The Smiths that I was sitting on an egg, a hen on an egg and it was very important to me that it was looked after and nothing went wrong.

I think my one of my favourite stories of Morrissey drinking is this one recounted by Mike& Andy:

What was the story behind that endless disco song 'Barbarism Begins At Home'?
Mike: "Do you remember when we played it at the Electric Ballroom? It was what we first came on to when we were supporting The Fall, and Mozzer had been knocking the red wine back (laughs) and we got out there - first song of the set, support band, we've got to impress - and it was about 17 minutes long (Rourke nods sadly). Mozz kept going into that middle bit (sings the yodelling bit). f***in' on and on. Johnny kept coming over and looking at me, and every time he did it I thought, thank God, he's going to stop it. We were knackered. I started using my feet to save energy."

I just find that image very amusing for some reason!

As for drink being a negative thing, I think you can have bad experiences borne out of it in social situations which just makes me want to completely back away from the whole drinking scene. There's nothing I hate more than a group of people trying to pressure you into having a 'good time', like that can only be achieved through becoming inebriated. That attitude annoys me very much, but drinking in itself, of something you enjoy to relax is fine and quite pleasurable I find!

Hmmm, well, that's true if you mean "not physically aggressive".

As for drinking, he didn't say he didn't drink. He just drank a lot less (and less often) than his Smiths bandmates and many other rock stars.

this interview where he says 'I don't drink and have no interest in drugs' is definitely somewhere on the motorcycle boy archive, I am 100% sure. if I find it I will post it here.

does he drink guiness? i think i might have read a mention of him drinking guiness somewhere, but i cant remember.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom