Does anyone here love the Cure as much as I do?

R

Rusholme

Morrissey and Smithy aren't that close.
Do Moz fans dislike the Cure as well???
My personal opinion is that they share The Smiths' mantle as the best band ever.
Any thoughts?

I used to love (obsessed by?) the Cure when I was in high school ('87-'91) but I can't say I have listened to them much in the last 10 years. Their music just hasn't aged well, in my opinion. The keyboards and synths drive me up a wall.

On the other hand, music by The Smiths and Morrissey still sounds fresh to this day, in my opinion. It doesnt have that damn "80's sound" to it.

I did go to a Cure show a couple summers ago b/c a friend had an extra ticket, but I bored through most of it, until the encores when the really good stuff was played. (Killing an Arab, Boys Dont Cry, Three Imaginary Boys etc...)

> Morrissey and Smithy aren't that close.
> Do Moz fans dislike the Cure as well???
> My personal opinion is that they share The Smiths' mantle as the best band
> ever.
> Any thoughts?

I liked the Cure before I heard Smiths, and one sort of segued into the other. It's neat that they've stayed together so long - and have gotten better, even when they screw around with bad ideas. I don't see why there's animosity between/amongst those artists and some of their fans. It's just good music all around. The sad Cure songs are quite different from the sad Morrissey songs. They both have punk roots, some glam similarities. I think if Morrissey played the guitar, I would compare the two further. Definately impressive hairstyles, though. And they both wear lipstick, probably.

I used to love the Cure and still listen to their albums sometimes. In my opinion the Smiths and the Cure are not that different with the exception of the already mentioned synth 80's style that the Cure were associated with. Both very underated bands and not fully appreciated in their own time. I don't really care what the individuals think of each other, bands thrive on competition and being critical of each other. I like them both and consider Robert Smith to be as good a songwriter as Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom