Does anyone have a link to the story about Morrissey's personal assistant?

Punks that are hung up on Lydon being punk enough or not reallllly missed the boat.
Sure, the Pistols launched 1000 bands, and most of them better- but P.i.L. is one of the best post-punk bands of all time. Visceral, engaging, incredibly funny, and with a depth of emotion and insight that the Pistols never even approached.

I think when it comes to the punks you described, the closest thing here would be the rash of Skinheads about 20 years ago. They ruined the entire local scene with their violence and idiocy, and made many larger shows a lot less fun/safe by their presence.

I agree. In the same way that Morrissey is one of the best post-smiths singers of all time, yet some people are stuck into the past and end up writing about towels. :crazy:

Some of the "punks" there are a BIG problem and they are too confused. I used to help some people from Chile with some concerts and there was ALWAYS a problem with the local "punks" who were always eager to attack anything that was not "authentic" according to their standards.

Quite similar to the attitude of some people who hangs around here actually.

So true.
The essential word here is attitude.
But based on what exactly?
I suspect a lack of selfreflection or a misguided one and a need to impose moral rules on others to compensate the negative view on themselves.

A lack of imagination, fantasy and not accepting any possible different approach cause that is dangerous and damaging the self imposed concept.
Very conservative, to say the least.

It does make you cringe. There's probably a lot of truth in it. I know someone who works at The Sydney Opera House and they said he was very demanding, especially about towels!! They said "He has a little butler guy running around for him".

Fame and success are bound to change people but why does it make them so difficult? I can't think of many famous people who are grounded, especially in the music industry. Morrissey is a household name in the U.K. and very famous. He has had so much acclaim let's face it and he does have a sense of entitlement and appears to be growing more and more out of touch but who would not be affected like this? Kate Bush said she retreated from public life because she saw how fame affected her contemporaries, one of who couldn't even work a dishwasher.

I think famous people behave like this as a coping mechanism. Like an anorexic who feels out of control maybe Morrissey runs such a tight ship for the same reason. It can't be fun working for him and that's why it seems they are paid so well. The mind boggles about how much the staffing must be for a tour. The PA's self esteem must be on the floor after a few days. Ugh.

I heard about members of hotel waiting staff having to speak through his PA at dining tables rather than him directly.

Punks that are hung up on Lydon being punk enough or not reallllly missed the boat.
Sure, the Pistols launched 1000 bands, and most of them better- but P.i.L. is one of the best post-punk bands of all time. Visceral, engaging, incredibly funny, and with a depth of emotion and insight that the Pistols never even approached.

I think when it comes to the punks you described, the closest thing here would be the rash of Skinheads about 20 years ago. They ruined the entire local scene with their violence and idiocy, and made many larger shows a lot less fun/safe by their presence.

I'm still waiting to hear a better collection of "punk" songs than Never Mind The Bollocks.

I'm still waiting to hear a better collection of "punk" songs than Never Mind The Bollocks.
Lyrically and stylistically they shook the rafters, scandalized all of England, and probably upset the Queen. The Grundy show was as big of a statement as anything they recorded. But when it comes to what they recorded, it was just reheated Chuck Berry in a lower key and some distortion with Johnny shouting over the top. I have a huge soft spot for the album too, since I was an angry teenager at one point, but I definitely prefer other punk bands when it comes to general listening. Misfits, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, The Dead Kennedies, and a few others who I consider punk as f***, but fall outside of the spectrum, like B-52s, Devo, and The Cramps.

Lyrically and stylistically they shook the rafters, scandalized all of England, and probably upset the Queen. The Grundy show was as big of a statement as anything they recorded. But when it comes to what they recorded, it was just reheated Chuck Berry in a lower key and some distortion with Johnny shouting over the top. I have a huge soft spot for the album too, since I was an angry teenager at one point, but I definitely prefer other punk bands when it comes to general listening. Misfits, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, The Dead Kennedies, and a few others who I consider punk as f***, but fall outside of the spectrum, like B-52s, Devo, and The Cramps.
Hi G,
I reckon that the Pistols managed to sound timeless. The other bands you mention and a lot of Punk at the were really important at the time but now, alot of it sounds dated and quaint to me.
And as for derivation, well loads and loads of Pop and Rock borrow shamelessly.
(I hope its clear that this is not me hurling abuse with saliva specked fury but more sitting back as we consume the chemicals of our choice, throwing a couple of ideas around.
"This one's a hot potato. Here, catch!").

Hi G,
I reckon that the Pistols managed to sound timeless. The other bands you mention and a lot of Punk at the were really important at the time but now, alot of it sounds dated and quaint to me.
And as for derivation, well loads and loads of Pop and Rock borrow shamelessly.
(I hope its clear that this is not me hurling abuse with saliva specked fury but more sitting back as we consume the chemicals of our choice, throwing a couple of ideas around.
"This one's a hot potato. Here, catch!").
See, that's the funny thing with the subjective nature of art. The Pistols sound pretty quaint to me! There's not a lot of timeless music out there. I think Iggy touched upon it here and there, and he's punk whether or not he wants to be. I can hear the genuine anger in the Pistols, but in a time capsule sort of way.
The thing with political albums is that while the message can be universal in a lot of cases (No Feelings) it's tethered to the time period in others. (God Save The Queen.) As soon as you inject politics into music, unless they are vague and not attached to any one specific thing IE: the world war line in Shoplifters, you end up pouring sap all over the whole thing, which eventually turns to amber and preserves the moment.

EDIT: And it goes without saying that I didn't take any offense to your differing opinion. Nothing wrong with that!

Most of t punk albums out at the time when bollocks was released were pretty standard. The clash and the damned were pretty rock and roll and garage rock respectively and the buzzcocks were were a pop singles band In terms of music. Only later did he clash and the damned start to make more musically rebellious music. The misfits are a ramones rip with a spooky Elvis singer and the ramones were pretty old timey musically in a lot of spots. Part of the issue with he pistols is that they only put out one album and didn’t get to evolve like a lot of the other bands mentioned. Part of punks popularity, the 77 British variety, had Its appeal in popular musics return to a three min pop single of old refashioned with a new attitude going against a lot of the more musically adventurous but widely mainstream progrock at the time. I think the pistols did it best at he time. The misfits are a joke that silly people started to take seriously at some point while he damned became more interesting in some ways as time went on but I tend to find boring after James left. Clash are great and while I don’t think the buzzcocks changed all that much they didn’t really need to as they were great from the start playing warped pop songs

Back
Top Bottom