Does anyone have a link to the story about Morrissey's personal assistant?

I’ve not read that before. Found it very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I wonder what it was that made him redundant?

I’ve not read that before. Found it very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I wonder what it was that made him redundant?
I wonder if he had the idea to write the article on the back of it, even before he was fired, and they got wind of it. Or just suspected. But it's a real eye-opener on the fawning, fearful circus surrounding Morrissey, and the control he exerts over his entourage. It must be true because we all know how litigatious Morrissey is. Sad to say, he sounds awful.

It does make you cringe. There's probably a lot of truth in it. I know someone who works at The Sydney Opera House and they said he was very demanding, especially about towels!! They said "He has a little butler guy running around for him".

Fame and success are bound to change people but why does it make them so difficult? I can't think of many famous people who are grounded, especially in the music industry. Morrissey is a household name in the U.K. and very famous. He has had so much acclaim let's face it and he does have a sense of entitlement and appears to be growing more and more out of touch but who would not be affected like this? Kate Bush said she retreated from public life because she saw how fame affected her contemporaries, one of who couldn't even work a dishwasher.

I think famous people behave like this as a coping mechanism. Like an anorexic who feels out of control maybe Morrissey runs such a tight ship for the same reason. It can't be fun working for him and that's why it seems they are paid so well. The mind boggles about how much the staffing must be for a tour. The PA's self esteem must be on the floor after a few days. Ugh.

It does make you cringe. There's probably a lot of truth in it. I know someone who works at The Sydney Opera House and they said he was very demanding, especially about towels!! They said "He has a little butler guy running around for him".

Fame and success are bound to change people but why does it make them so difficult? I can't think of many famous people who are grounded, especially in the music industry. Morrissey is a household name in the U.K. and very famous. He has had so much acclaim let's face it and he does have a sense of entitlement and appears to be growing more and more out of touch but who would not be affected like this? Kate Bush said she retreated from public life because she saw how fame affected her contemporaries, one of who couldn't even work a dishwasher.

I think famous people behave like this as a coping mechanism. Like an anorexic who feels out of control maybe Morrissey runs such a tight ship for the same reason. It can't be fun working for him and that's why it seems they are paid so well. The mind boggles about how much the staffing must be for a tour. The PA's self esteem must be on the floor after a few days. Ugh.

well, truth is... does anyone really care if Morrissey knows how to operate a dishwasher? As long as he sings the songs he chooses to sing, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

Anyways, if you don't like your job, find another. Unfortunately, we don't know the bullshit he ( Morrissey) must put up with just to do what he has to do, regardless if anyone sees his needs as reasonable or as important or not, they are important for him to do what he needs to do.

well, truth is... does anyone really care if Morrissey knows how to operate a dishwasher? As long as he sings the songs he chooses to sing, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

Anyways, if you don't like your job, find another. Unfortunately, we don't know the bullshit he ( Morrissey) must put up with just to do what he has to do, regardless if anyone sees his needs as reasonable or as important or not, they are important for him to do what he needs to do.

That's a good point. I'm not knocking Morrissey really. The songs are all that matters and I'm still enjoying those. What struck me about Autobiography was how Morrissey had to keep hold of the reins as if he let go someone else will try to grab them. Anthony Wilson criticised Morrissey endlessly for being a diva. I once worked with Anthony Wilson and he was so self-important and demanding.

I would love someone to work ny dishwasher for me. I feel like setting fire to it now as it represents my unimportance.

I have NEVER meet an artist who is not picky and bizarre when he has to choose assistants. I do not discard that such person exists, but I do not know him.

It was a fun read though.

well, truth is... does anyone really care if Morrissey knows how to operate a dishwasher? As long as he sings the songs he chooses to sing, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS. Anyways, if you don't like your job, find another. Unfortunately, we don't know the bullshit he ( Morrissey) must put up with just to do what he has to do, regardless if anyone sees his needs as reasonable or as important or not, they are important for him to do what he needs to do.

I think these are fair points.

So that's why he keeps Jesse around. To run his fingers through his hair. I hear Alain recoiled like a vampire from sunlight when he tried.
Shame about the playing though. ;)

That's a good point. I'm not knocking Morrissey really. The songs are all that matters and I'm still enjoying those. What struck me about Autobiography was how Morrissey had to keep hold of the reins as if he let go someone else will try to grab them. Anthony Wilson criticised Morrissey endlessly for being a diva. I once worked with Anthony Wilson and he was so self-important and demanding.

I would love someone to work ny dishwasher for me. I feel like setting fire to it now as it represents my unimportance.

I didn't think you were knocking him. I just felt like this thread needed a little balance before it goes off the rails into some one-sided ditch. We all have our 'coping mechanisms' that can look or seem odd to others. And some people may need to feel/be in control when one is in a position of pressure and expectancy from oneself and from others, making sure you have the support of others behind you (even if enforced and paid for) is important for an artist, or to someone who sees the world differently and so would rather live in their own controlled and created world.

<><><>

Yes, how very unreasonable to want to have towels. What was he thinking? I mean, who needs towels? I haven't a single one at home. I live in the reality, you know. He should demand something reasonable like 20 puppies.

Yes, how very unreasonable to want to have towels. What was he thinking? I mean, who needs towels? I haven't a single one at home. I live in the reality, you know. He should demand something reasonable like 20 puppies.

He apparently used about 80 towels over 4 nights and he used to stand on most of them while showering. Is that what you do too?

For the record, the bloke from Sydney Opera House was more amused by Morrissey's behaviour than angry. He saved that for Elbow who he said were the worst people he has ever had to deal by a long chalk.

I reckon this story took place in a tour of America, not Austrilililia or "the uk". I reckon you foreigners have always got to put foreign spins on stuff her. I reckon Steve is really popular in his hometown Moz Angeles, like when they named an entire day for him.

He apparently used about 80 towels over 4 nights and he used to stand on most of them while showering. Is that what you do too?

News Flash: Touring singer uses 20 towels per night!

Sorry, in my world this far away from being unreasonable. I use at least 4 towels when I shower and I am not even running around on stage.

So that's why he keeps Jesse around. To run his fingers through his hair. I hear Alain recoiled like a vampire from sunlight when he tried.
Shame about the playing though. ;)

How very interesting. I hadn't heard that. Is that connected to why he left? And yes, nice hair, shame about the playing.

Back
Top Bottom