Do you think YATQ will outsell maladjusted and vauxhall?????

• Thread starter Mr.Improper PIMP of the fuckin nation....get well
  • Start date
M

Mr.Improper PIMP of the fuckin nation....get well

I think it'll definately outsell maladjusted,I don't know about vauxhall. Does anyone here have the final numbers of sales/units of these two albums for us????? I've read in some places that maladjusted didn't even sell a quarter of a million copies worldwide,but then I read a few months back that it sold something like 800,000 copis total(by total I mean everywhere in the world:uk,denmark,us etc).

I'll still go on record as saying maladjusted was a wonderful disc,despite the masses claiming otherwise. What do you all think??????

Yeah, it'll outsell them (no promises).

I agree with you on Maladjusted as well :)

> I think it'll definately outsell maladjusted,I don't know about vauxhall.
> Does anyone here have the final numbers of sales/units of these two albums
> for us????? I've read in some places that maladjusted didn't even sell a
> quarter of a million copies worldwide,but then I read a few months back
> that it sold something like 800,000 copis total(by total I mean everywhere
> in the world:uk,denmark,us etc).

> I'll still go on record as saying maladjusted was a wonderful disc,despite
> the masses claiming otherwise. What do you all think??????

I don't understand charts or what gets people to buy shit, so I don't know.
Obviously this is the most exposure he's he's ever gotten in the mainstream media. I remember him getting exposure in the early-90s, but it never seemed like it was another magazine interview every other day. So the first thing to get people to buy it is for them to know it's there.

However, despite Morrissey claiming his single is getting "blanket" airplay in America, this is absolutely not true in most parts of the country. His label reps must be lying to him, because I have yet to hear of any station in my city playing it a single time, nor have I seen the video on MTV or VH1. "The More you Ignore me, The Closer I Get" got much more airplay.

But there are things in place this year that will likely give the album better legs than any album he's ever released. Most importantly is that he's releasing a truly infectious, wonderful single, "The First of the Gang to Die" as the second single just before he boldly ventures out to headline Lollapalooza. Which gets heavy media coverage the whole tour long, and which gets new people to experience Morrissey in his best setting, when he's in contraol of a stage.

Therefore, I think "Quarry" will sell well all summer long and be the best-selling album of his career. Most especially when you consider the cross-over ppotential of "I Like You," should that be the third single. All of this will also boost sales of his back catalog and help beging the securing of his place in musical history.
Rhino must be very happy they did that "Best of" CD a couple years back!

As far as "Maladjusted," it's a very good album and people are just ignorant for saying otherwise.

Quarry has already outsold Maladjusted.

In the USA.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/01/11/16/1626243.shtml

I'm having trouble navigating the www.riaa.com site, but if you follow the above thread, the general consensus is that Maladjusted sold around 70,000 copies in the USA. Quarry has sold 56,399. At that rate, it will have outsold Maladjusted in a manner of days, or at the most a couple more weeks.

In the UK.

http://www.bpi.co.uk/ - Do a "certified awards database" search.

Maladjusted did not even go Silver...which means it sold less than 60,000 copies in the UK.

By contrast, Quarry has already gone Silver in the UK selling 75,000 copies according to:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/05/26/0833251&mode=thread

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/03/06/24/151218.shtml

Re: Quarry has already outsold Maladjusted.

> In the USA.

> http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/01/11/16/1626243.shtml I'm having
> trouble navigating the www.riaa.com site, but if you follow the above
> thread, the general consensus is that Maladjusted sold around 70,000
> copies in the USA. Quarry has sold 56,399. At that rate, it will have
> outsold Maladjusted in a manner of days, or at the most a couple more
> weeks.

> In the UK.

> http://www.bpi.co.uk/ - Do a "certified awards database"
> search.

> Maladjusted did not even go Silver...which means it sold less than 60,000
> copies in the UK.

> By contrast, Quarry has already gone Silver in the UK selling 75,000
> copies according to:

> http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/05/26/0833251&mode=thread
> http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/03/06/24/151218.shtml

Are these up to date figures? People still buy Maladjusted! A few people anyway. All these new fans are gonna have to get it eventually!

Anyway, no one can blame me. I have two Maladjusted CDs, one cassette, and one LP. Although they gave me the LP for free with the CD.

The LP is cool because it has an extra pic on the back.

People still buy Maladjusted at used record shops.

> Are these up to date figures? People still buy Maladjusted! A few people
> anyway. All these new fans are gonna have to get it eventually!

> Anyway, no one can blame me. I have two Maladjusted CDs, one cassette, and
> one LP. Although they gave me the LP for free with the CD.

> The LP is cool because it has an extra pic on the back.

Wow! excellent post!!! I agree...maybe be what he means by saying "blanket" airplay is that they still dont play it too much with all the exposure he's gotten?????

I agree with you too about this being the time he's gotten the most exposure ever for an album he's done. He deserves it,he's worked hard. I also agree with your point about FOTGTD and the labels feelings toward releasing it as the next single.

I remember going to lollapalooza a long while back when rage against the machine was on the bill,a few people knew about them,it seemed like right after they played palooza,they blew up.This is obviously not the case for morrissey,I went to coachella a few years back when he was one of the headliners,I went solely to see him,he didnt disappoint. I honestly believe there were more people there to see his set,then any other band on the card.

Thanks BG........great info.

I could swear the final tally for sales(everywhere) for maladjusted totalled like 500,000 copies??? i read that somewhere recently.

> I think it'll definately outsell maladjusted,I don't know about vauxhall.
> Does anyone here have the final numbers of sales/units of these two albums
> for us????? I've read in some places that maladjusted didn't even sell a
> quarter of a million copies worldwide,but then I read a few months back
> that it sold something like 800,000 copis total(by total I mean everywhere
> in the world:uk,denmark,us etc).

> I'll still go on record as saying maladjusted was a wonderful disc,despite
> the masses claiming otherwise. What do you all think??????

I think Maladjusted was underated for sure...a few stinkers on there but the majority were great.

> Are these up to date figures? People still buy Maladjusted! A few people
> anyway. All these new fans are gonna have to get it eventually!

> Anyway, no one can blame me. I have two Maladjusted CDs, one cassette, and
> one LP. Although they gave me the LP for free with the CD.

> The LP is cool because it has an extra pic on the back.

I got the 87,000 sales figure for Maladjusted from billboard.com it's been posted there at least twice in recent months. (U.S. sales of course)...p.s. there's no way Maldusted sold 800,000 copies or else he wouldn't have been dropped by his label.

You're right...even though you're a canucks fan.

> You're right...even though you're a canucks fan.

Can you believe Calgary? What the f*** is up with that??...They just beat TB in ot for a 3-2 lead....You'd be surprised but although I'm Canadian I'm actually cheering on TB....I just don't think Calgary deserves the cup....they haven't suffered enough yet....ie they won it in 89.

> As far as "Maladjusted," it's a very good album and people are
> just ignorant for saying otherwise.

Maladjusted really isnt a very good album. its a decent album at best. the songs are lifeless and generic. morrissey singing about downloading on the internet doesnt help much either (which I am amazed that people have bad mouthed the lyrics for quarry after wide to recieve) and 75% of the songs are mostly filler. the b sides (minus heir apparent and this is not your country) are far better and would have made a better album. the album does have a couple good points, the title track itself which is one of the most unique songs the band has done and one of morrissey's lyrical greats, but as a whole it is ok and only for a hardcore fan who must have everything.

And I am not ignorant for saying otherwise, though it is ignorant for you to make the comment that anyone who doesnt agree with your opinion is ignorant. No offense intended, just stating a fact.

> I think Maladjusted was underated for sure...a few stinkers on there but
> the majority were great.

Ehhgh... I wound up being quite disappointed by this album. Southpaw was such an anomaly, such a departure, that I figured Maladjusted would be a certain return to form. Not even close.

I'd probably invert your statement, actually: a few great ones on there, but the majorithy were stinkers.

Tracks I liked: Satan Rejected, Alma Matters, Maladjusted, Sorrow Will Come.

Satan Rejected is a fairly pleasant if unambitious melody (that's a compliment coming from me, a "Boxers" fan, btw)... but the lyrics really shine. I would proffer that the line "Satan rejected my soul, as low as he goes he never quite goes this low" is one of a handful of Moz's best-ever.

Sorrow is a peculiarly hypnotising track, and it suits Moz quite nicely, considering this was a guy who, even back before the Joyce fiasco once sang "I hold more grudges than lonely high court judges." It always flabbergasted me that a record company, in this day and age of Eminem and Britney, would refuse to include that track.

But on the balance, Maladjusted is a singularly sub-par LP by Morrissey standards, namely because Kill Uncle is the only thing he ever did solo that was worse. And we won't even mention the cover art, where the man is wearing some alterno-loser clothing in the pose of a monkey. You look at the distinguished, sport-coated, graceful singer on the cover of Vauxhall, then you fast forward 3 years to his gibbonlike pose on Maladjusted, and you wonder "what in the HELL was he thinking???" Sure it's been said that Moz had nothing to do with the cover art, but he obviously HAD to have agreed to wear those clothes and crouch in that pose, and there's no excuse he can offer for that that will justify things at all. Plus, for a person who was so *particular* about his album layouts from 1984 onward (obscure cover stars, LP titles in quotation marks, lyrics nearly always printed in the booklets), what, he just all of a sudden stops giving a damn in 1997? I'm not buying it. Maladjusted was a momentary lapse of reason (thanks, Floyd, for the most self-descriptive album title ever) in both design and musically.

Vauxhall/Viva/Arsenal YATQ may not necessarily be, but after 7 years of dealing with Maladjusted as Moz's "most recent" LP, YATQ is a refreshing return to form and a very solid album.

-- J.T.

> Ehhgh... I wound up being quite disappointed by this album. Southpaw was
> such an anomaly, such a departure, that I figured Maladjusted would be a
> certain return to form. Not even close.

> I'd probably invert your statement, actually: a few great ones on there,
> but the majorithy were stinkers.

> Tracks I liked: Satan Rejected, Alma Matters, Maladjusted, Sorrow Will
> Come.

> Satan Rejected is a fairly pleasant if unambitious melody (that's a
> compliment coming from me, a "Boxers" fan, btw)... but the
> lyrics really shine. I would proffer that the line "Satan rejected my
> soul, as low as he goes he never quite goes this low" is one of a
> handful of Moz's best-ever.

> Sorrow is a peculiarly hypnotising track, and it suits Moz quite nicely,
> considering this was a guy who, even back before the Joyce fiasco once
> sang "I hold more grudges than lonely high court judges." It
> always flabbergasted me that a record company, in this day and age of
> Eminem and Britney, would refuse to include that track.

> But on the balance, Maladjusted is a singularly sub-par LP by Morrissey
> standards, namely because Kill Uncle is the only thing he ever did solo
> that was worse. And we won't even mention the cover art, where the man is
> wearing some alterno-loser clothing in the pose of a monkey. You look at
> the distinguished, sport-coated, graceful singer on the cover of Vauxhall,
> then you fast forward 3 years to his gibbonlike pose on Maladjusted, and
> you wonder "what in the HELL was he thinking???" Sure it's been
> said that Moz had nothing to do with the cover art, but he obviously HAD
> to have agreed to wear those clothes and crouch in that pose, and there's
> no excuse he can offer for that that will justify things at all. Plus, for
> a person who was so *particular* about his album layouts from 1984 onward
> (obscure cover stars, LP titles in quotation marks, lyrics nearly always
> printed in the booklets), what, he just all of a sudden stops giving a
> damn in 1997? I'm not buying it. Maladjusted was a momentary lapse of
> reason (thanks, Floyd, for the most self-descriptive album title ever) in
> both design and musically.

> Vauxhall/Viva/Arsenal YATQ may not necessarily be, but after 7 years of
> dealing with Maladjusted as Moz's "most recent" LP, YATQ is a
> refreshing return to form and a very solid album.

> -- J.T.

I agree with your observations regarding the cover art for Maladjusted...but I still liked maladjusted, Alma Matters, ammunition, He cried, roy's keen, satan rejected my soul, sorrow will come in the end. 7 good songs is pretty good for an album if you ask me.....his best without question though is Your Arsenal....not ONE stinker in the bunch....Probably my favorite album of all time.

> I agree with your observations regarding the cover art for
> Maladjusted...but I still liked maladjusted, Alma Matters, ammunition, He
> cried, roy's keen, satan rejected my soul, sorrow will come in the end. 7
> good songs is pretty good for an album if you ask me.....his best without
> question though is Your Arsenal....not ONE stinker in the
> bunch....Probably my favorite album of all time.

Yeah... few people here aren't aware that I'm on the Vauxhall side of things, but I fully acknowledge and take no exceptions with anyone who would prefer Arsenal. It's absolutely worthy of a "fave Moz album" status, tho I embraced the album later than most.

I've always felt that "Seasick..." really belonged on Vauxhall, and I USED to feel that Vauxhall would have been a perfect album if he had ditched "Billy Budd" at the #3 slot and replaced it with "Seasick" I've since warmed up to Budd and no longer feel that way, but Seasick is still a very Vaux-y track.

"We'll Let You Know" has long been my favourite cut off Arsenal, but it fits MUCH better on Arsenal than it would on Vauxhall. "WLYK" is worth the price of admission by itself.

Going back to Maladjusted... Roy's Keen is also a decent sounding cut, I'll give you. But just as I praised "Satan Rejected" for one of Morrissey's alltime best couplets, I have to slam Roy for one of the worst: "dunking the chamois, just think of the goodwill, the ladder's a planet, Roy is a star, and I am a satellite." What the....?? :)

I still like it tho, but Maladjusted's lyrics really give me pause and make me contemplate giving the Smiths' solo album another chance at redemption. It's almost ironic in a way -- back in 1984, Moz had the lyrics but not the music or voice. Now in 2004 he's got the music and voice, but the lyrics have gone to hell in a handbasket (ok, only in specific instances, but c'mon -- AINTW is absolutely **ABYSMAL** lyrically. we're not just talking "weak", we're talking "actively cringe-worthy")

Cheers,
J.T.

> I still like it tho, but Maladjusted's lyrics really give me pause and
> make me contemplate giving the Smiths' solo album another chance at
> redemption.

D'oh!! Meant to say Smiths' DEBUT album -- what an oxymoron I had up there!

One other thing -- quick as I was to bash YATQ's lyrics, I absolutely LOVE the lyrics to IBEH. Particularly the second half, where he starts blasting Labour, Tories, Cromwell, and the royal line.

Jesus.. started out as my favourite YATQ track, but IBEH is it now. He truly picked the best song to be his opening single.

-- J.T.

Back
Top Bottom