Do you think UK gigs will sell out?

I'm going to the London gig. (Subject to him not cancelling).

Wonder if Moz will have his wonderful 'music video support' instead of an actual support act. I hope so. That was great last time round.

Not sure how much the criticism of the left-wing Twitter brigade will actually affect ticket sales.
Not too long ago, these people thought they were going to get Jeremy Corbyn into Number 10.
Twitter is not representative of the real world.

I think he might have driven his own fans away over the last decade by playing gigs consisting mainly of 'new' songs. Much as the adoring uber-fans enjoy the new songs, his ever-improving voice etc., most people are just there to see/hear the Morrissey they remember from The Smiths.

Not true at all - his last UK tour in early 2018 was the most successful he's ever done either Smith or post-Smith. A multiple-arena tour with most venues at least 80% full. He'd never done that before.
Since then it seems the fan-base has massively hemorrhaged, largely due to his unambiguous support (via a specific message on his website, and his decision to wear their emblem in front of millions) for a far-right political party which is complete anathema to most of his fans (and, let's face it, most decent human beings).
Twitter may not be the real world but album sales are. A 60% decrease in the 18 months that passed between High School and California Son (a little part of which may be due to the latter being a covers album).
The total number of seats at these two UK dates are a tiny fraction of those he played to on the 2018 arena tour so should still sell out, despite mass desertion. We'll see how the album fares. For what it's worth - I think the album may well be excellent. He's currently got his most imaginative songwriter and producer team since the Bona Drag era.

I'm really torn (for financial reasons) about getting a ticket in advance or trying to get some on the day. My mate isn't prepared to pay those prices. Decisions. Decisions.

Dude, the ticket prices will tumble. Mark my words. The online touts haven't realised how much of Morrissey's fan-base has deserted him, and they will snap up tons of tickets hoping to make a fortune. With a week to go before the concerts, the going rate for tickets will be less than half face value.

Dude, the ticket prices will tumble. Mark my words. The online touts haven't realised how much of Morrissey's fan-base has deserted him, and they will snap up tons of tickets hoping to make a fortune. With a week to go before the concerts, the going rate for tickets will be less than half face value.

This is exactly what happened in the US. Lots of tickets at half-price or even less available in order to fill out the venues.

Well, you know, I could sit here typing a deep & meaningful effort, but frankly I can't be arsed. That's not to disrespect these two posts, I just don't have the inclination.
But, I will say, the situation is what it is re; Moz. It can't be changed, we can't go back in time, even if we wanted to; Moz is his own man.
He could, if he chose to, issue statements & apologies until he was blue in the face, & it still wouldn't appease some people; they'd still want more & more from him; it would be futile; it ain't going to happen.

I don't think Moz is the type of guy to be doing such things; we all know he's stubborn & non-conformist, maybe down to his Irish blood.
He's honest when others live in fear of being honest, & I, & many others, admire this quality in him; I agree with many of the things he has said; he's been so right about many things, yet I find that so many people have got him so wrong & lambasted him, unfairly. To my mind, those who wish to wallow in the past can do so & hopefully, in time, deal their own inner demons & the mental torture which they put themselves through.
I'm a glass half-full chap, so I'm optimistic for Moz, that's all I'm saying, & I'm looking forward, in a general sense. I wish Moz well with everything; despite any shortcomings which he may/may not have; I love the guy, & many others do; I love all his many works, & am hopeful that the single, the album, & the tour, however short or long, are all successful for him.
Longer than I wanted, but there you go. Cheers.

It can be changed and it has to be changed, if Steve wants any kind of career after the release of Dog on a String. Apologies until he's blue in the face? Nope, not necessary. One simple, clear apology is all we need. One admission that he has f***ed up massively, that he doesn't really understand the world of politics, that he was simply just drawn to Anne Walters a long time ago (when she belonged to different political parties) and mainly because she was a vegan, lesbian feminist. That her party's policies of denying climate change, slashing taxes for the rich, spending billions more on military conflict, abandoning all policies to help countries in trouble - doing all the things that any decent person (and apparently most of his fan-base) would totally object to - are something that he now refuses to support, having found out a little bit more about the ghastly f***ers.
That's all he needs to do.
Friends/relatives/colleagues of Morrissey, please explain this to him before it's too late.

I'm really torn (for financial reasons) about getting a ticket in advance or trying to get some on the day. My mate isn't prepared to pay those prices. Decisions. Decisions.
Stubhub a week or a few days before the gig and you might even get standing tickets a bit cheaper than now if people have to drop out for whatever reason.

It can be changed and it has to be changed, if Steve wants any kind of career after the release of Dog on a String. Apologies until he's blue in the face? Nope, not necessary. One simple, clear apology is all we need. One admission that he has f***ed up massively, that he doesn't really understand the world of politics, that he was simply just drawn to Anne Walters a long time ago (when she belonged to different political parties) and mainly because she was a vegan, lesbian feminist. That her party's policies of denying climate change, slashing taxes for the rich, spending billions more on military conflict, abandoning all policies to help countries in trouble - doing all the things that any decent person (and apparently most of his fan-base) would totally object to - are something that he now refuses to support, having found out a little bit more about the ghastly f***ers.
Friends/relatives/colleagues of Morrissey, please explain this to him before it's too late.

That's the problem with people today..........they all want an apology. No.

Wonder if Moz will have his wonderful 'music video support' instead of an actual support act. I hope so. That was great last time round.

I'd like a support band. He could do the video as well...though, it's time he did a new one. Maybe one full of liberal snowflakes crying their eyes out with some Ramones over the top. That would be fun.

dfdfde.jpg

Nobody denies climate change, they deny that carbon has anything to do with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cleaner air, sea and environment. In fact as far as I'm concerned they can ban foreign travel for a few decades and grow forests over Britain's airports and only allow trade ships into our docks. Let Brits have holidays in this country, like the yanks do in theirs. I'd like them also to jail Monsanto and ban GM.

But we have no real proof that reducing carbon will stop climate change. Many scientists have said this, and all the stats they roll out are doctored in some way. For example they'll say "500 scientists have said we're all going to die if we don't...' and it turns out half these people are not scientists at all. Many meteorologists say climate change is due to sun flares or even things we don't yet understand - and they're most likely correct. Climate change has happened since the beginning of time, and will continue at different rates.

By wheeling out Greta T, an autistic girl who looks like a clueless 10 year old, to preach to us, I think that particular lobby have shot themselves in the foot. Because it makes their cause look like one big con. Which it is.

Last edited:

I got a ticket for Ally Pally for half the ticket price a week before the gig from Stubhub.

The gig was absolutely packed and sold out!

Amazing how two different carriers can get two different tickets from two different countries to my door, 48 hours and 24 hours after booking, yet the British versions can’t (or don’t) despatch tickets until about a week before.

Since then it seems the fan-base has massively hemorrhaged, largely due to his unambiguous support (via a specific message on his website, and his decision to wear their emblem in front of millions) for a far-right political party which is complete anathema to most of his fans (and, let's face it, most decent human beings).

This last bit is just horse shit, frankly - most people don't give a f*** about this type of thing except for the weak woke pimple-ridden headline searchers who are declining in number thankfully, those who only read trash guardian headlines or twitter/facebook feeds, & frankly have too much time on their hands chatting with their ilk in coffee shops sipping lattes & planning their next type of thing to be fakely outraged out.
I suspect you're one of them.

So, a bit more than a simple apology then?
Moz will bow to no-one, he will not bend, it's just not in his nature. He refuses to be conventional, or conform.
You seem desperate to have him back in your life, which is understandable, but, it seems, only on your terms, & with Moz, fully compliant with your world view, & effectively a dog on a chain (or dog on a string, as you put it). It ain't gonna happen.
If you haven't grasped that, then you don't know him as well as you seem to think you do.
Maybe you need to do something yourself, & look past what you believe has happened, it's 'archive' stuff after all, & move on from your current mind set. You're taking all this way way too seriously, & it'll be the ruin of you.
So, do yourself a favour, get off your high horse & move on, if only for the sake of your own mental health. I'm sure you'll feel better if you stop worrying about all of this stuff which neither you, nor I, have any influence over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of Morrissey-fans are music lovers and appreciate the finer things that come with it, exclusive vinyl releases and so forth. I’ve heard many Morrissey fans, also on here, complain about the choice of venue in the UK.
So my guess is they won’t sell out, but will still attract 80-90 per cent. Hopefully he will then (April-May) do a longer tour of 2,000-3,000 which will sell out much easier as Moz-fans in general prefer this kind of venue.
totally agree Thewlis,seen him 12 times in small venues before the big single venues started,not for me,too big,no intimacy.would love a return to town halls but logistically its probably too much and too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom