Morrissey Central "DO YOU REMEMBER … FAR BACK IN TIME …" (October 22, 2020)

I've posted this timeless classic before, but it never fails to raise a smile, or even the odd guffaw: Harry Enfield. Women: Know Your Limits!
That kind of thing is pretty weird. It must have been so strange a time to live through as a woman. You see a lot of that explored in Mad Men...it's really interesting.

Maybe I'm with the lady watching and not being able to talk while two men discuss about something we all woman know so well: discrimination and the implicit veto to participate in the debate of the main issues of humankind, even those that affect us the most.

We all think that the cross we carry on our backs is bigger than others. Our egos convince us of selling that idea to others and if we succeed in that quest we are good, famous and never forgotten, like James Baldwin.

I could write lots of paragraphs telling about people living in worst and more unfair situations than the self called "negros" in America. I won't, because I still respect myself and other people's intellects.

What if end up believing in my own beatifully told tales and consequently end up thinking I'm actually a victim of circumstances? Well, I would have to kill myself. Well... I won't. I'll let that task to others, I know they'll eventually make it after so many failures. While I'm here I win, like cockroaches but more beautiful.

Last edited:
during lockdown i was watching a lot of dick cavetts interviews with burton and olivier.
dick cavett is probably the only talk show host to actually have a guest die on his show.strange thing was the doctor was on to talk about longevity of life.

where the Morrissey of old -- the warm and egalitarian champion of misfits and the misunderstood”

that sounds like the present day Morrissey.

I hope the former offers the latter a giant bouquet of gladiolas, invites him to tea, and talks some sense into him.”

Sorry, but your ‘hero’ is dead .....

LONG LIVE MORRISSEY !!!

:cool:

Yeah, it is the present day Morrissey. He couldn't be championing misfits & the misunderstood any harder - he's actually made it clear that his issues are with the law being unfairly applied, women's rights, gay rights, animal rights, poverty, police brutality, wanting to smash the 2 party system, freedom of speech & media bias.

And I think he would actually like a journalist to discuss it with him instead of asking leading questions & then denouncing him. Which is sweet really. I think of media as a form of torture designed to extract a false confession before hanging, drawing, quartering & burning your entrails.

Which also answers his question. No, I don't.

Maybe I'm with the lady watching and not being able to talk while two men discuss about something we all woman know so well: discrimination and the implicit veto to participate in the debate of the main issues of humankind, even those that affect us the most.

We all think that the cross we carry on our backs is bigger than others. Our egos convince us of selling that idea to others and if we succeed in that quest we are good, famous and never forgotten, like James Baldwin.

I could write lots of paragraphs telling about people living in worst and more unfair situations than the self called "negros" in America. I won't, because I still respect myself and other people's intellects.

What if end up believing in my own beatifully told tales and consequently end up thinking I'm actually a victim of circumstances? Well, I would have to kill myself. Well... I won't. I'll let that task to others, I know they'll eventually make it after so many failures. While I'm here I win, like cockroaches but more beautiful.
Please, do tell. Tell me a story that’s worse than the kidnapping, sale, ownership, rape and lynching of these “self-called ‘negroes’”. I’d live to hear these whimsical thoughts for you, as a self-called human being.

Whilst we wait, let me call you out as the ignorant sack of shit you truly are.

Fak Arf, c***.

remember when it was allowed to wear a badge of a racist political party live on TV ahahahaa

what a douche has he become

In days, sadly gone by, Friday nights with Friends & Frasier were difficult to beat...with wine/beer/food obv. Was never sure if it was a time when they (Americans) had adapted their humour to ours in the UK, or vice versa. Good times regardless.

I was just thinking about this the other idea. Has The Great Feelgood American Sitcom died the death, or am I just out of touch?

In days, sadly gone by, Friday nights with Friends & Frasier were difficult to beat...with wine/beer/food obv. Was never sure if it was a time when they (Americans) had adapted their humour to ours in the UK, or vice versa. Good times regardless.

outdated Moz gang in their 80s mental matrix

Yeah, it is the present day Morrissey. He couldn't be championing misfits & the misunderstood any harder - he's actually made it clear that his issues are with the law being unfairly applied, women's rights, gay rights, animal rights, poverty, police brutality, wanting to smash the 2 party system, freedom of speech & media bias.
Kindly provide a single, empirically sound example of where Morrissey has made each of the preceding opinions you’ve attributed to him “clear”.

Naturally, you can’t. ...so, cue spin and deflection.

Fak Arf, Karen. You’re the most tiresome of the lot.

Oh and don’t forget about back then when, the demure female guest used for ornamental decoration sat in the background and was never asked for a contribution.
I won’t forget that either.
Wasn’t that last week at the Trump Rally?

True, animal rights and veganism are his signature issues and lifelong passion, but gay rights? He was closeted for most of his life, and then chose to strip new printings of his autobiography of the one passage that openly spoke of his romance with Jake. He's danced around the topic of his sexuality for years and years, offering only coy remarks like "I am humasexual." I've heard many in the LBGTQIA community express their disappointment in him and who don't consider him a good advocate or ally, whether he's gay, bi, queer, questioning, or wherever he may land on the spectrum. He may publicly applaud things like the acceptance and legal passing of gay marriage legislation, but he doesn't want anyone to think he's part of the community.

As for the other issues you listed, he's touched upon them in different ways, I guess -- through song and the occasional interview quote. I wouldn't call him a staunch advocate for most of those. What he has chosen to speak up about in recent years, besides animals, is immigration, Islam, For Britain, and assorted "England for the English" nonsense -- much of which has left a long trail of dispirited former fans in its wake.

I don't believe the press is "out to get him." There's no great conspiracy to drag his name through the mud. Much of the reporting has been dead accurate and factual -- with quotes that came directly from his lips that can't be construed as being "taken out of context." He's always been a lightning rod for controversy, but he's increasingly casting himself as an out of touch pariah.

So, yes, I still long for the Morrissey of old. He may be dead, but he's not forgotten. His ghost lingers and inspires. You can have the new Moz all to yourself.

True, animal rights and veganism are his signature issues and lifelong passion, but gay rights? He was closeted for most of his life, and then chose to strip new printings of his autobiography of the one passage that openly spoke of his romance with Jake. He's danced around the topic of his sexuality for years and years, offering only coy remarks like "I am humasexual." I've heard many in the LBGTQIA community express their disappointment in him and who don't consider him a good advocate or ally, whether he's gay, bi, queer, questioning, or wherever he may land on the spectrum. He may publicly applaud things like the acceptance and legal passing of gay marriage legislation, but he doesn't want anyone to think he's part of the community.

As for the other issues you listed, he's touched upon them in different ways, I guess -- through song and the occasional interview quote. I wouldn't call him a staunch advocate for most of those. What he has chosen to speak up about in recent years, besides animals, is immigration, Islam, For Britain, and assorted "England for the English" nonsense -- much of which has left a long trail of dispirited former fans in its wake.

I don't believe the press is "out to get him." There's no great conspiracy to drag his name through the mud. Much of the reporting has been dead accurate and factual -- with quotes that came directly from his lips that can't be construed as being "taken out of context." He's always been a lightning rod for controversy, but he's increasingly casting himself as an out of touch pariah.

So, yes, I still long for the Morrissey of old. He may be dead, but he's not forgotten. His ghost lingers and inspires. You can have the new Moz all to yourself.

It's wonderful Morrissey found other causes, like fighting against animal genocide, murder and torture, more deign of being defended than -maybe, who knows- his own causes. I don't think that's questionable. On the contrary, that's generosity. Even more considering that animals don't buy tickets and albums.

... but he doesn't want anyone to think he's part of the community.

It doesn't matter which specific label one attaches to him, he's always made it very clear that he's not your usual heterosexual cis dude, which is why it's incorrect to say he's been closeted for most of his life. There's no "right" way to be "out" and other people (whether they are part of the LGBTQ+ community or not) don't get to judge the way a person deals with their own identity.

Whether he's asexual, bisexual or homosexual or doesn't identify with any specific label at all is irrelevant.

His worst nightmare is not being identified with the LGBTQ+ community, it's rather living in an unhappy marriage, submitting to heteronormative societal standards and become the cliché framed picture on the mantelpiece.

I was just thinking about this the other idea. Has The Great Feelgood American Sitcom died the death, or am I just out of touch?
The only great American sitcoms were “I Love Lucy”, “The Honeymooners” and “All in the Family”. Long gone and replaced with garbage that provides you with a laugh-track, so you know what you’re supposed to finf humorous. Sad state of affairs.

Back
Top Bottom