Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few years?

Do you like the louder, more rock direction Moz has taken the past few years?

• Yes

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

MozIsGod

After watching the Conan performance, I've come to realize that I don't mind the heavier, rockier-edge Morrissey's music has taken the past few years, especially with albums like Ringleader and Refusal. I love the slower numbers as well, but I can only take the slow tunes of Maladjusted and Quarry up until a certain point!

So, do you like this direction Morrissey has taken? Why or why not?

Re: Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few year

After watching the Conan performance, I've come to realize that I don't mind the heavier, rockier-edge Morrissey's music has taken the past few years, especially with albums like Ringleader and Refusal. I love the slower numbers as well, but I can only take the slow tunes of Maladjusted and Quarry up until a certain point!

Good Thread Mozisgod. In answer to your questions, yes and because he is a fine artist.

Re: Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few year

I enjoy it, I think that each album has its own strengths in different areas. I appreciate that Morrissey hasn't made the same album twice. It also is getting increasingly apparent what his influences have been with each production that's released.
The new material in particular (Scandinavia, Art Hounds, Action Is My Middle Name, People Are The Same Everywhere) is particularly exciting... his best material since Quarry. I thought that Refusal had a hell of a lot of punch to it... so, I don't know, as someone who is very much in love with Morrissey, it's hard for me to picture myself disliking anything he does a substantial amount, it all seems to grow on me no matter what.

This is basically the Jesse Tobias thread under a new name - and, like Jesse himself, I liked it until I realised we were stuck with it.

The new material in particular (Scandinavia, Art Hounds, Action Is My Middle Name, People Are The Same Everywhere) is particularly exciting... his best material since Quarry.

You can't be serious...

You can't be serious...

Why's that , Amy ?

I enjoyed YOR more than ROTT, and ROTT more than "Quarry"...

Nah, no likey....I want more ballads like "Let Me Kiss You" since that is the only decent thing that Boz can come up with musically.
I want to hear Morrissey with different instruments. Like on "I'm Not Sorry" from Quarry, they added flutes and it added something different and nice to the vocals.
I hope this rock route fades very soon. I perfer the more gentle soul he once was.

What he's doing now is no "rockier" than what he did on Southpaw Grammar. The difference is that what the music he makes these days is shit, lyrically and musically.

Why's that , Amy ?

I enjoyed YOR more than ROTT, and ROTT more than "Quarry"...

I just can't believe anyone would like the new stuff that much!
YOR was a thousand times better than Ringleader, I thought... but then Ringleader was an utter stinker :sick:

YOR was a thousand times better than Ringleader, I thought... but then Ringleader was an utter stinker :sick:
I like the song you have killed me!!!

Nah, no likey....I want more ballads like "Let Me Kiss You" since that is the only decent thing that Boz can come up with musically.
I want to hear Morrissey with different instruments. Like on "I'm Not Sorry" from Quarry, they added flutes and it added something different and nice to the vocals.
I hope this rock route fades very soon. I perfer the more gentle soul he once was.

Too bad Alain wrote 'Let Me Kiss You'.

That's because half the album was written by Jesse Tobias. If you had put Alain's 'Ganglord' and 'Good Looking Man About Town', Boz's "Christian Dior" and Mikey's original version of 'Sweetie-Pie' on the record in place of "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy", "On The Streets I Ran", "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" and Alain's "The Father Who Must Be Killed", then you have a pretty good Morrissey album by my standards.

That, and the fact Visconti (like Finn on Refusal) muddled most of the instruments together in the mixing process.

That's because half the album was written by Jesse Tobias. If you had put Alain's 'Ganglord' and 'Good Looking Man About Town', Boz's "Christian Dior" and Mikey's original version of 'Sweetie-Pie' on the record in place of "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy", "On The Streets I Ran", "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" and Alain's "The Father Who Must Be Killed", then you have a pretty good Morrissey album by my standards.

That, and the fact Visconti (like Finn on Refusal) muddled most of the instruments together in the mixing process.

"Good -Looking Man About Town" seems such a critically ignored track and I've never understood why. It's one of the few Moz songs, prior to YOR, in the last fifteen years or so to sound as though it was written/recorded in the 21st century. Burying it on a B-side was willfully perverse ... I'm tempted to think it may have done some damage in the charts, had it been released as the first single from ROTT.

Last edited:

"Good -Looking Man About Town" seems such a critically ignored track and I've never understood why. It's one of the few Moz songs, prior to YOR, in the last fifteen years or so to sound as though it was written/recorded in the 21st century. Burying it on a B-side was willfully perverse ... I'm tempted to think it may have done some damage in the charts, had it been released as the first single from ROTT.

I truly think he buried some great songs solely because he felt the need to showcase Jesse Tobias. There is no good reason why "Christian Dior", "Ganglord", and "Good Looking Man About Town" were b-sides. "Sweetie-Pie", as is, deserved to be one...but if it had been the original version, I think it sounded MOST like a 'Vauxhall' track than anything he's done since that album.

How is Ringleader a Rocky album?

I love the new way he went. I mean, don't get me wrong. His slower tunes are awesome, but coming from a big Rockabilly/Psychobilly background, listening to crazy good guitar riffs and a more heavy sound isn't bad at all.

One of my favorite albums of his, is Kill Uncle(I Know it's not a rocky album), but the first time listening 'Found Found Found' just wanted me wanting more of his edgier stuff.
Your Arsenal had a couple of those heavier songs released.
Southpaw Grammar, are you serious? I will NEVER understand why so little people listen to this album, along with Maladjusted.
Now you have his newer releases which, honestly, sound very different. I'm not complaining though. Kudos to Moz.
Just my two cents.

I don't like it. Muscular rock is to me everything Morrissey is not about.

Refusal isn't any "rockier" than Your Arsenal or Southpaw Grammar, or ANY of Morrissey's live shows for the last twenty years. The only difference is that it is CLUMSIER, because of Tobias, but clumsy rock is not rockier, it's just shittier.

How is Ringleader a Rocky album?

rockytormentors.png

Back
Top Bottom