Do you like Soft Cell?

Do you like Soft Cell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[email protected] and Anaesthesine I think you're both mistaken about seeing Soft Cell play live in 1984 as they only played two live shows that year, at Hammersmith Palais on 9th and 10th of January. These were their farewell shows as they officially split that year after their last album was released. I still have the silk screened poster I bought on the first of both nights that I attended. Soft Cell didn't play any shows together until they reformed for the one-off album Cruelty Without Beauty in the early 00's.

I like Soft Cell and I enjoy Marc Almond's biting observations amidst what would be considered cliched topics. Marc Almond as a lyricist was underrated and overlooked really, Soft Cell as a whole were truly innovative-- listen to "Memorabilia" if you don't believe me. Haven't gotten around to listening to the whole of Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret yet, I have listened to a few tracks on it, namely Say Hello Wave Goodbye, Sex Dwarf, and Secret Life and they are standouts.

Last edited:
[email protected] and Anaesthesine I think you're both mistaken about seeing Soft Cell play live in 1984 as they only played two live shows that year, at Hammersmith Palais on 9th and 10th of January. These were their farewell shows as they officially split that year after their last album was released. I still have the silk screened poster I bought on the first of both nights that I attended. Soft Cell didn't play any shows together until they reformed for the one-off album Cruelty Without Beauty in the early 00's.

Wow, you really know your Soft Cell: I looked it up, and the show I saw apparently took place in 1983. It was at the Roseland Ballroom, and everyone in the audience knew that Soft Cell were finished - it was bittersweet and wonderful.

I saw them so many years later on the Cruelty Without Beauty tour here in New York - they were fantastic: "Martin" and "St. Judy" brought the house down.

Yeas indeed Have-a -a -go, I too stand corrected...the gig I saw was 1983....co-incidentally, I went to the Re-opening night at "Eric's" club in Liverpool on sat 10th, with OMD, and the first record I heard played by the DJ was "Memorabilia"...

I love Soft cell, very under rated in my opinion. At the time (years after it's release) the lyrics of Bedsitter really reflected my life as much as any Smiths song.

Although I hate with passion the song Memorabilia!

I love Soft cell, very under rated in my opinion. At the time (years after it's release) the lyrics of Bedsitter really reflected my life as much as any Smiths song.

Although I hate with passion the song Memorabilia!

im actually listening to marc almond because of this thread. Talk about fun music!

im actually listening to marc almond because of this thread. Talk about fun music!

Oooh, glad my thread got someone in the mood for Marc Almond. It is indeed fun. :) I am enjoying reading all the replies.

Yes, I love Soft Cell. I love Marc Almond.

Songs like Kitchen Sink Drama, Loving You, Hating me, WHAT!, the continous Tainted Love / Where did our Love go, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye, Martin, Youth, Sex Drawf, etc were marvellous. Songs like Stories of Johnny, Ruby Red, Love Letters were fantastic too! :)

mbr.

By far, the best Soft Cell song:

That song is the reason I started listening to Soft Cell. My dad was playing it one day and singing it around the house, and since I liked their other popular songs, I thought I would check out the rest of their music. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
soft cell
Back
Top Bottom