Do you get sentimental remembering your childhood days??

M

Mimi

Just wondering..... I had a friend round for dinner tonight and I put on this tape that has all the title melodies of all the stuff we used to watch as kids on it. You know.... The Smurfs, Captain Future, Sesame Street, Pink Panther...that kind of stuff. Well we got so sad that we both started crying.

Was life really easier when you were little, or does it only seem like that looking back? Because effectively, you didn't really know what was expecting you getting older...... I mean a lost toy might have been just as dramatic then as is a lost love now.

But those rainy afternoons staying in watching Captain Future were certainly the definition of carelessness. Mommy's cookies did their bit.

And you know what?? I can't let go of it.... to this day I stay in bed until midday on Saturdays to watch cartoons....the Bugs Bunnies, Duffy Ducks and Scooby-Doos of this world make life worth living sometimes.

> Just wondering..... I had a friend round for dinner tonight and
> I put on this tape that has all the title melodies of all the
> stuff we used to watch as kids on it. You know.... The Smurfs,
> Captain Future, Sesame Street, Pink Panther...that kind of
> stuff. Well we got so sad that we both started crying.

My best childhood memory is my mother and I rocking to the sounds of Art garfunkel's Angel Clare record.

Lipsinging to beatles songs is a close second.

> Was life really easier when you were little, or does it only
> seem like that looking back? Because effectively, you didn't
> really know what was expecting you getting older...... I mean a
> lost toy might have been just as dramatic then as is a lost love
> now.

interesting question. I think for me personally life was easier in alot of ways although I would have fought with you bitterly if you tried to tell me I had it easy when i was seven (even though I did) When you are young, you don't have the responsibilities and the pressure to constantly perform as when you grow up. Then, people expect alot more from you. But in general, I'd say it depends on each individual person's childhood.

> But those rainy afternoons staying in watching Captain Future
> were certainly the definition of carelessness. Mommy's cookies
> did their bit.

> And you know what?? I can't let go of it.... to this day I stay
> in bed until midday on Saturdays to watch cartoons....the Bugs
> Bunnies, Duffy Ducks and Scooby-Doos of this world make life
> worth living sometimes.

Well you have to still have some fun. You can't let the demands of every day life ware you down.

Kirstie

Talking about that stuff always makes me laugh.

> now.

No, I don't think my life was any easier. It doesn't matter when or what time, I was always a nervous wreck because of my nature and it affected everything.

But I'll tell you one thing: that it isn't necessarily my childhood I look back with fondness. instead, it's always the hardest times for me that I tend to remember. Why? Because when everything is going on, there is that one moment of respite that you cling to with relief and happiness, and then years later, you see something that reminds you of it and you remember how you felt that day.

The only rule that doesn't apply to was when I was little and it was coming up on the time to go to grandma's. Six weeks before thanksgiving I was already thinking about it because I couldn't wait.

> did their bit.

There are moments when I can be doing something so ordinary and plain and then I get this huge flashback to a moment in my childhood. Something embrassing or something which surprises me that my memory has kept that. The older I get the more of my fashbacks. But why is it that on some days you can remember so much, what she said, the patterns of clouds, noticing the crow's feet appearing around her eyes, meals eaten and on other days you can't even remember what you had for lunch.

When you cycle by.. here began all my dreams..

The world seems so much bigger, better and simpler in a small amount of space when you were a kid.. The ice cream truck was God, the block that you walked on was a mile long, even though it was just only a block. Your basic diet was Sugar Daddies, Nerds, and Push Pops. Your entertainment was Voltrons, Care Bears, and Nintendos.

Today and every day seems like a load of crap with heavy responsibilites, relationsip dramas, bills, and constant work routines. If you can manage your life well, then you can pass a day with a bright smile, but if you fail, you are faced with frowns, headaches, depression. I prefer the yesterdays more than the todays becuase tomorrow will only promise another sh.itty day.

> now.

> did their bit.

on the joy of cartoons: powerpuff girls, dexter's laboratory, betty boop, bugs and daffy, bob the builder, and the little owl who sings "i love to singa, about the moona and the juna and the springa..."

Back
Top Bottom