Do you feel tired of Morrissey's verbal attacks?

Do you feel tired of hearing Morrissey's verbal attacks?

• Total voters
Did you witness the Stone Roses last night? Exclusive secret gigs in that London for Adidas. How rock n roll and anti-establishment, particularly after their anti-monarcy diatribes at their Heaton Park gigs. Still I guess thats what happens when your lead "singer" is sponsored by Adidas

And people talk about Morrissey "selling out"...

I saw him in Manchester and his comments were dripping in irony and humour.

Oddly, it didn't seem to be reported this way...

No, and one of the problems with him not doing as much press is that his flatly-transcribed comments on TTY are shorn of a lot of the essential intonations, flourishes, gestures, sense of mood, etc., that good journalists add to their account of their conversations with him. Another thing is push-back. If you've read enough Smiths-Morrissey interviews, you know that a familiar feature of all his interviews is a sweeping, grandiose statement, followed by a mitigating smile, laugh, or off-hand joke when the interviewer challenges him. Had a decent journalist been listening to his anti-Olympic remarks, and prodded him a little, Morrissey might have had a chance to reveal more of the mood he was probably in when he thought the remarks up in the first place-- peeved and scabrous, sure, but also prankish, sarcastic, ironical, and mischievous.

Some time ago, in another thread, I resurrected this old bit from a Simon Reynolds interview. Watch how a "serious" song like "Margaret On The Guillotine" becomes a "silly song", Morrissey even agreeing it's "childish and petulant", after Simon challenges him:

M: ...I do also firmly believe in action. But also there's a great sense of doorstep rebellion, and stamping of feet. I think, above all, that dealing with people's manipulations is very tiring. You grow old very quickly when every day of your life you're trying to win arguments. Politically, I do feel exhausted. I do feel there are no more demonstrations, no more petitions to be signed. I think those things and group meetings and creches, are completely boring and a waste of time. I do feel a sense of apathy.

SR: I'm interested you talk about "stamping of feet", because this fantasy of offing Mrs. Thatcher, as though this would somehow solve everything, as if the "evil" in this country weren't a tad more structural and entrenched - well, there's something a bit childish and petulant about it.

M: Believe me, I'm totally aware of that. But there's also something important about it. The song is silly, it's also very heavy, and it's also very brave. And I sit back and smile. Surely you can see that the very serious elements in it puts the kind of straightforward, demonstration, 'Maggie Maggie Maggie Out Out Out' protest song, in its place and makes it seem trite and a little bit cosy?​

Last edited:
I think it's good that Morrissey has an actual opinion, unlike many of the vain so called artists, of today. I also think it's quite possible that Morrissey keeps making these comments, deliberately because he finds it hilarious that the press actually care so much. I mean, how many times to they have to write that Morrissey has said something anti-royalist? Everyone knows that he is so why do they need to make a massive deal over it. What this really shows is not how desperate Morrissey is, but how uninteresting all of the other artists out there are, because if there was somebody young and fresh, who actually had something intellegent or controversial to say, it would be them and not Morrissey constantly in the press. In addition, it also shows how bland the press are, if they have to repeat the same stories over and over; clearly they just can't find anything interesting or new to tell.

I'd have to agree with that.

Sometimes Morrissey says silly things. Most of the time I agree with him. He's never uninteresting which is what keeps me coming back. Personally.

I know this sounds a bit naive, but instead of the endless statements on true-to-you slagging the Royals and the Olympics why can't he just take some time out and tell people about the things he likes, such as music, film and art instead and the stories behind why he picks certain backdrops or video tapes for his shows or whatever, that's more interesting, more dignified and dare I say more fulfilling. However though he free to have fun however he wants, just wish he'd stop clowning about and get something done.

Where's the Voltaire option?
I'm sure this "furore" will give us another few pages in the autobiography. At least someone in the world of vacuous musical celebrity still refuses to toe the party line.
Did you witness the Stone Roses last night? Exclusive secret gigs in that London for Adidas. How rock n roll and anti-establishment, particularly after their anti-monarcy diatribes at their Heaton Park gigs. Still I guess thats what happens when your lead "singer" is sponsored by Adidas

At the Stone Roses concert last night, Ian Brown hailed Jessica Ennis and Bradley Wiggins as the real King and Queen of GB.
He brilliantly tapped into the pro-olympic zeitgeist whilst expressing his long-held aversion to the monarchy, with wit and charm - qualities that Morrissey once had in abundance.
I hope Morrissey sees this poll and realises what a total twat he's rapidly turning into, even in the eyes of his keenest fans.

I could care less about about the Royals and everything Morrissey bashes on. They are HIS opinions, not mine.
I love Morrissey for himself and his music.
People who get too caught up with politics and everything Moz says isn't me.
Maybe Im too devoted or not devoted enough to care about half the shit he spews.
Don't get me wrong, I do read the stuff he writes, but I just don't take it to heart.

At the Stone Roses concert last night, Ian Brown hailed Jessica Ennis and Bradley Wiggins as the real King and Queen of GB.
He brilliantly tapped into the pro-olympic zeitgeist whilst expressing his long-held aversion to the monarchy, with wit and charm - qualities that Morrissey once had in abundance.
I hope Morrissey sees this poll and realises what a total twat he's rapidly turning into, even in the eyes of his keenest fans.

Are the new King and Queen of GB sponsored by Adidas per chance? We know Team GB is but I'm really unsure whether Lady Jess and Sir Brad signed
kit endorsement deals for the next 5 years?

"As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand" indeed.

Tapping into the zeitgeist? Bland brand loyalty more like.

Last edited:

I think you're wrong. That's exactly what Morrissey shouldn't do. For me, what Brown did was utterly desperate. He is a sell-out incarnate. He'll be briefly popular and then be forgotten again. Only honesty and talent lasts. The story's already been written. Look at Oscar W. In fifty years Morrissey will be remembered and revered. The Clone Roses won't be.

Really enjoyed reading this thread and the thoughtful posts of all involved. I voted for the second " No , he has a right..." option. I like his airing of non-pop-star views and thoughts , even when I don't agree at all with them e.g. the Falklands remarks while playing in South America. It's enjoyable to see a person defy the constraints of category and stereotype of their particular job.

Last edited:
He's having fun. Maybe not the PETA propaganda, which he's deadly serious about, but the rest of it? The William and Kate hate, the anti-Olympic screeds? Morrissey is having fun. He's more relaxed and happy than I've ever seen him. [/B]

:squiffy: Which Morrissey are we talking about here?

I don't think he's having fun at all; I think he's deadly serious about the anti-monarchy spiel and all the other petulant ranting he's done in the past year or so. The man is never happy about anything unless it benefits him directly. Why would he invest time in such repeated diatribes against the Royals if he were joking around? Why would he bore us all saying the same things time and again if his heart wasn't in it? I've never seen him further from "relaxed and happy" than he seems now - he's become exactly the tin-banging old grouch he always pretended to be, the consummate attention-whore always moaning about being hard done by and unappreciated in the grand scheme of things.

You say that no-one is generous towards him, but when was the last time Morrissey was generous towards anybody else? When was the last time he wasn't just spitting jealous bile at people for the sake of it? His anger and bitterness is destroying him, piece by piece, and your glasses are so rose-tinted that you're mistaking it for humour and heavy-handed wit.

I voted that "No, he has the right to express his opinions." For me, personally, I don't see Morrissey's "mouthiness" as a bad quality, really.

It's just one of his many quirks.

I don't agree with- or can even relate to-all of his rants, like this most recent one, but they don't really affect me one way or the other.

Last edited:
:squiffy: Which Morrissey are we talking about here?

I don't think he's having fun at all; I think he's deadly serious about the anti-monarchy spiel and all the other petulant ranting he's done in the past year or so. The man is never happy about anything unless it benefits him directly. Why would he invest time in such repeated diatribes against the Royals if he were joking around? Why would he bore us all saying the same things time and again if his heart wasn't in it? I've never seen him further from "relaxed and happy" than he seems now - he's become exactly the tin-banging old grouch he always pretended to be, the consummate attention-whore always moaning about being hard done by and unappreciated in the grand scheme of things.

You say that no-one is generous towards him, but when was the last time Morrissey was generous towards anybody else? When was the last time he wasn't just spitting jealous bile at people for the sake of it? His anger and bitterness is destroying him, piece by piece, and your glasses are so rose-tinted that you're mistaking it for humour and heavy-handed wit.

I have no idea what the man does or doesn't do in his private life . His comments about "Young The Giant" seemed generous and unlikely to benefit him in any substantial way. Keeping Kristeen Young as support for the length of time that he has appears generous. There was a nice little comment on TTY a while back referring to Andy Rourke's " ... masterful bass lines .." - that seems a magnanimous attitude to take . As far as I understand it , his anti-royalty stance is partly motivated by some empathy for the underprivileged.

Rose-tinted glasses , Amy ? Perhaps you should ditch the shit-tinted specs ... ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind any of his verbal attacks, ANY, even the Norway one of the concentration camp one, if he was still focused on making great music. I'm not saying I'd agree with him, I'm just saying that his lunacy would be offset by his artistic genius.

However, in the real world....

I wouldn't mind any of his verbal attacks, ANY, even the Norway one of the concentration camp one, if he was still focused on making great music. I'm not saying I'd agree with him, I'm just saying that his lunacy would be offset by his artistic genius.

However, in the real world....

Absolutely agree. If he was making music that was as good or better than what he was making from 1992-2004, I wouldn't care if he took a shit in my Mother's mouth.

Bus-passenger.jpg

Morrissey's verbal attacks have gotten worse. The other day I asked him why his check was already gone and he made a big show of throwing this lukewarm water at me that he supposed was boiling hot I guess. I shouted out "Christ, Morrissey, what's gotten into you!?" because if you don't react he gets furious. He said, "Who the hell is Morrissey, you punk?" I apologized for almost blowing his cover but you would have to go 5 streets over to get to where people know who he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what the man does or doesn't do in his private life . His comments about "Young The Giant" seemed generous and unlikely to benefit him in any substantial way. Keeping Kristeen Young as support for the length of time that he has appears generous. There was a nice little comment on TTY a while back referring to Andy Rourke's " ... masterful bass lines .." - that seems a magnanimous attitude to take . As far as I understand it , his anti-royalty stance is partly motivated by some empathy for the underprivileged.

Rose-tinted glasses , Amy ? Perhaps you should ditch the shit-tinted specs ... ;)

The "masterful bass lines" comment was made 7 years ago. If we're dragging stuff that old up as evidence that Morrissey is a nice guy, aren't we scraping the barrel a bit?

Back
Top Bottom