Do you despair of message boards?

Trill

I do. I've looked at quite a few message boards and it's always fun to read different people's different opinions. Generally, I like message boards. What makes me despair though is the incredible lack of grammar. It just seems like most people can't spell or write anymore. There seems to be very few who can actually construct a proper sentence and even fewer who actually care. The amount of "You should of listened to..." and people writing things like "FOTGTD from YATQ is G8" is just depressing. Perhaps I'm the only one that feels bad about lazy grammar, so maybe it is just my problem.

Is there anyone else out there who shares this view?

Well, yes.

I can be a bit of a grammar nazi at times, but I think most people could tolerate a little leeway - I think even the lesser educated or even dyslexic have a right to their say. However, it does grate when users insist on habitually using LOL shorthand, because it might be wacky.

Peter

If you can then you should.

Well, that's my little opinion anyway.

nahhh

actually what i find even more annoying is when someone makes an OBVIOUS joke on a message board and someone totally flips out and takes them seriously. hate when that happens....

I do. I've looked at quite a few message boards and it's always fun to read different people's different opinions. Generally, I like message boards. What makes me despair though is the incredible lack of grammar. It just seems like most people can't spell or write anymore. There seems to be very few who can actually construct a proper sentence and even fewer who actually care. The amount of "You should of listened to..." and people writing things like "FOTGTD from YATQ is G8" is just depressing. Perhaps I'm the only one that feels bad about lazy grammar, so maybe it is just my problem.

Is there anyone else out there who shares this view?

Message boards facilitate fast-moving, informal conversation and although I frequently find myself tutting at some of the linguistic shortcuts and gaffes (my own included :o), I wouldn't sacrifice the spontaneity of message boards in favour of better English usage. Where the writer has had time to review their material and have it checked over by a beta reader (stories, articles, website copy, etc), I find myself to be somewhat less tolerant.

It's because I screwed up and used an apostrophe in "zoo's"...isn't it? ;) It won't happen again. :o :D

I love all these regional accents typed out, everyone from Bolton that uses a 'z' in place of 's'! I think it's only the Bolton folk that do it but I could be wrong, maybe the Wiganites do it too? It may appear strange in type form but I just love hearing those accents in my head as I read them! Real thick broad accents, super! Happen eh?

That's how the Buzzcocks got their name you know?

love

Grim

Back
Top Bottom