Do you believe one is less of a fan if one never enters the world of downloads, bootlegs, demos ?

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
21dq6qe.jpg

Re: Do you believe one is less of a fan if one never enters the world of downloads, bootlegs, demos

Chum the waters. Take the bait.

Re: Do you believe one is less of a fan if one never enters the world of downloads, bootlegs, demos

No, but that's a self-serving no. I was interested in those things as a teenager/pre-internet when I used to trade tapes with penpals, but nowadays I'm really only concerned with the things the artists I follow have chosen to release. That's enough for me. Every now and then I'll download something unreleased in a moment of excitement, but then it winds up just sitting on my desktop.

Of course, the whole "more/less of a fan" thing is something I'm not particularly concerned with, either.

no, its more nuanced than that. goodnight

The query was not about real fans vs. fake fans.
Rather, more vs. less.
People who do not explore this are missing out on soooooo much.
Accordingly, from a purely quantitative perspective, they are lesser.

Given that bootlegs far outnumber official releases, it's just good old fashioned math. The answer is Yes.

No, because I never do.

No, because I never do.

I don't either. Kind of a FAN of the polished stuff. Plus I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket. I like to listen to other music, read, watch films, create. If I chased every bootleg I'd have no time for anything else.

Last edited:

No that's ridiculous but, this cover shot is a perfect example of why you'd be wrong not to drop by. great album and not the only one. I spent a lot of time chasing down every live recording I could find until the penny drop that selectivity is the key to boots.

One day, the guy who collected every single bootleg will be sought after by people with lots of money.

As will the person who has, among other things, the fully realized Smiths' version of "I Want A Boy For My Birthday"

Another point related to this:

Can you be more or less of a fan by accepting/rejecting the artist's revisionist offerings? i.e. Remasters with altered track order and omitted songs.

In my case, I accept the remasters and reorder them to the original track listing by removing the added songs and adding homebrew remasters of the omitted ones.

But I haven't spent much time tracking down bootlegs. I usually prefer the studio releases to the live recordings. It is interesting but it doesn't offer the same listening enjoyment for me.

That said, if it is an unreleased studio download, I'm interested, more than a live bootleg. Since I am unaware, is there much unreleased b-sides and such studio works available from the unauthorized channels?

Being a fan has no rules. People enjoy what they want in their own way.

I agree.

However, I think some of the real gems are on bootlegs etc.

It just depends on what you like. For me the energy and passion in a live performance is the best. For all the band's I like, I tend to listen to concert recordings much more than albums (hense my site I guess). I just love live music. However, I don't really listen to the studio bootleg stuff, even though I've probably downloaded them all. But that's just me.

I've lost all my rarities and demos, so what does that say about me?

I've lost all my rarities and demos, so what does that say about me?

That you are not an a-hole.

I’m not a big bootleg / rarities guy, honestly unless they’re officially released collections. Most of the stuff like that I have is on mp3 that I downloaded and listened to for kicks a couple times.

I dunno about 'more of a fan' or 'less of a fan' but I can tell you that someone is 'less of a person' when they blindly follow.

I dunno about 'more of a fan' or 'less of a fan' but I can tell you that someone is 'less of a person' when they blindly follow.

Even "half a person"

:)

Back
Top Bottom