Do you agree with the following statement?

Morrissey's whole career is based on negative comments and singing about he doesn't l

• Yes, that's why I like him.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Possibly he's partly responsible for projecting his own image in that way.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Mmmm...neither agree nor disagree.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • No. C'mon it's an image media has created, he's more than that.

Votes: 44 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kewpie

Subscriber
"Morrissey's whole career is based on negative comments and singing about he doesn't like."

What do you think?

BTW, it's not my opinion. You'll find who said it if you read off-topic section.

Last edited:
The negativity in Morrissey's art is overwhelming-- except, taken as a whole, it is an expression of positivity. Viva hate.

I don't get any negativity at all. Negativity is about doing nothing and accepting things as they are.

I don't get any negativity at all. Negativity is about doing nothing and accepting things as they are.
Agreed.

And I've always thought that there's a lot of positivity and love in his songs.

Why do people always go on about Morrissey being depressive, 'miserable' and negative? There are so many other people who produce far more depressive, pessimistic and negative music!

(speaking of which...I'm listening to Swans at the moment... The fact I can listen to them and remain OK is the proof of how fundamentally positive and life-loving I am!)

I do kind of understand why he's portrayed in such a way, and he just lets people run with the idea. A lot of his work is very positive and up beat, and ROTT seems to be mainly in that vein.

even in his 'miserable' songs there is a lot of humour, warmth and love.

and besides there is a lot of negative things in the world, he is just saying like it is but saying there is hope somewhere out there. IMO

It's pretty much true. I'm not saying I don't gain enjoyment from listening to Morrissey and The Smiths, but Morrissey has pretty much never written a song about how great it is to be in a reciprocally-loving relationship. Can anyone think of one with no undercurrents of violence or oppression? If you are able to, you could probably count them on one finger. It doesn't mean the song has to be unrealistic or soft or boring, I think it would be refreshing. A song like "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)" that's just about how great loving and being loved is. This is one of the reasons I don't listen to Morrissey and The Smiths as much as other artists.

It's pretty much true. I'm not saying I don't gain enjoyment from listening to Morrissey and The Smiths, but Morrissey has pretty much never written a song about how great it is to be in a reciprocally-loving relationship.
How many people have actually written such a song?? I can't think of many. "Enjoy The Silence" by Depeche Mode. "Love Song" by The Cure. erm... I'm struggling to think of another one...

You're forgetting Morrissey's songs about Morrissey.

"You're the one for me, fatty".

Perspective ... perspective. If you live with feelings at -100°C, getting to -20°C means warming up intensely. Negative ... positive ... "to me people are simple -tive. The prefix is immaterial"?

You're forgetting Morrissey's songs about Morrissey.
Funny you should say so, I always thought his songs were far too full of self-loathing and (rather absurd) self-deprecation. In fact, if I was looking for negativity in his songs, the first thing that would come to my mind would be his lyrics about himself.

There's very few pop songs dealing with relationships that aren't to do with the problems in the relationship. It's always about being unrequited, being left sobbing, or being "done wrong". The reason for that is that harmony isn't very interesting. It's boring. We don't want to hear a song about people's happiness, just like we don't want to watch a film where everything goes right for the characters. It's narrative tension we want.

Morrissey isn't any different from other pop writers.

There's very few pop songs dealing with relationships that aren't to do with the problems in the relationship. It's always about being unrequited, being left sobbing, or being "done wrong". The reason for that is that harmony isn't very interesting. It's boring. We don't want to hear a song about people's happiness, just like we don't want to watch a film where everything goes right for the characters. It's narrative tension we want.

Morrissey isn't any different from other pop writers.
Exactly.
... about being dumped, about dumping someone, about not loving someone anymore, about not being loved anymore, about having problems in the relationship and not being sure if it can continue, about feeling tormented by other person's behaviour and wondering if you can take it anymore, about unrequited love, about being in love but not being too afraid to make a move, about being separated by circumstances, about the loved one's death, about being locked in destructive relationship and hurting each other, about trying to get over a break-up, about thinking of an ex you still love... etc. etc.

I'm well aware the vast majority of love songs aren't about it going right, but it would be good to have some light and shade in Morrissey's career so as to avoid the idea he's been singing the same song for 20 years (something I sometimes find myself thinking).

And here you have three songs, all full of contagious joy and pure love. Aurally different, but unified in emotion. No bullshit, no indie wank - just strong, passionate lovesongs. Songs brave enough to admit love without any ironic, intellectual or arty safety nets. Exactly my favourite type of song.

The Ramones - "Oh Oh I Love Her So"

Curtis Mayfield - "You Are, You Are"

David Bowie - "Absolute Beginners (Live)"

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E1C5F2502468CC69

Back
Top Bottom