Do you agree with Morrissey's views on the British monarchy?

Do you agree with Morrissey's views on the British royal family?

• Total voters

Maurice E Maher

If the leaked album cover turns out to be the final one, it seems the slogan 'Axe the monarchy' will dwarf both the actual album title and Morrissey's name. But to what extent do people round here share his views on the subject?

I agree that the monarchy should be done away with and fired which is how I read the cover. Axed as in fired. I don't think I can agree with the idea that they add to the economy. At least not to the degree that they balance out what they take and as it's the tax payers money so it should go to the tax payers direct benefit or kept in there pocket and not reimbursed / redistributed back to them, if that argument really holds any water, through private company tourist profit etc. I am also American so my thoughts are not that in depth or personal

why should these people be paid to do.... what? what do the royals do ? paying for a myth a lie ?

stealing from the poor giving to the rich and what do these people give in return? educate me on this, please no links.

tourism ? really? Isn't Big Ben and Jack the Ripper enough ? and up north they have the Smiths, what more of a draw does the U.K need?

:straightface:

people say they go to Buckingham palace to see the queen,why,shes very seldom there,she doesn't even own it so shes no more than a lodger.theres old age pensioners freezing in their homes,scared to put the heating on as they cannot afford to do so and lizzie is getting £45 million pound this year in the form of the sovereign grant,politicians passed a bill last year which makes it impossible for the sovereign grant to go down so the queen is laughing all the way to the bank.

As I read in axed, get rid of them, I support the sentiment and the reason for it being very well worded above by gordyboy9. :thumb:

I don't mind either way. Her role actually carries a lot of power, she has:
  • The power to appoint and dismiss the Prime Minister
  • The power to appoint and dismiss other ministers.
  • The power to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament
  • The power to make war and peace
  • The power to command the armed forces of the United Kingdom
  • The power to regulate the Civil Service
  • The power to ratify treaties
  • The power to issue passports
  • The power to appoint bishops and archbishops of the Church of England
  • The power to create peers (both life peers and hereditary peers).

i dont have to pay for them, i guess. seems they are/were not funded with eu-money. i could try to ignore them, as they are all the same to me. should i be interested? i mean, they are constantly in the news, have german roots, this kind of thing...

can somebody tell me what in the uk is the difference between high school, upper school and senior school? thank you. i assume the "high school" in the album's title is referring to the british school system.

I actually think people are taking the title and it's mention of high school to literally. Could be wrong

I don't mind either way. Her role actually carries a lot of power, she has:
  • The power to appoint and dismiss the Prime Minister
  • The power to appoint and dismiss other ministers.
  • The power to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament
  • The power to make war and peace
  • The power to command the armed forces of the United Kingdom
  • The power to regulate the Civil Service
  • The power to ratify treaties
  • The power to issue passports
  • The power to appoint bishops and archbishops of the Church of England
  • The power to create peers (both life peers and hereditary peers).

WOW! That's actually a lot of power. Who could imagine it, when people say they are just an ornamental institution. Just one of those powers worths a lot of influence and money.

I shouldn't vote here since I'm not British, but I support Morrissey 1000 %. He is very brave.

people say they go to Buckingham palace to see the queen,why,shes very seldom there,she doesn't even own it so shes no more than a lodger.theres old age pensioners freezing in their homes,scared to put the heating on as they cannot afford to do so and lizzie is getting £45 million pound this year in the form of the sovereign grant,politicians passed a bill last year which makes it impossible for the sovereign grant to go down so the queen is laughing all the way to the bank.

The cost to tax payers in the UK is 65 pence per person per annum. The Crown Estate, which is nominally owned by the monarch but hands all its profits to the Treasury, made record profits of £267.1million in the year to March – an increase of almost six per cent.

yeah, dont know, im just interested. are these just different names for the same type of school? how do you take the title then? i mean "school" is not really an ambiguous word, i would say. there are schools of fish, as far as i know. in art there are groups of people forming a stylistic "school".
"a downer in upper school" just came to my mind for whatever reason

Yes , I agree.
It can be used as a general term, I think, although maybe that is uncommon in English language. I don't know.
High-School of Life. High-School of Love, of music, of anything. I mean the learning aspect of school.
I guess you can consider yourself to be low in it. Or others.

yeah, dont know, im just interested. are these just different names for the same type of school? how do you take the title then? i mean "school" is not really an ambiguous word, i would say. there are schools of fish, as far as i know. in art there are groups of people forming a stylistic "school".
"a downer in upper school" just came to my mind for whatever reason

I guess as a term for an immature place rather than an actual institution for youth education. Like when people say there office is just like high school. They don't mean there learning things at work but rather that the office environment is rather an immature one. I could see him equating world politics to the immature world of high school. It could also mean a bunch of other things but I don't see him writing an album about kids in school especially with the comments made by bmg. Like I said though i could be wrong

Just for everyones interest in the last MORI poll, when people were asked, should we continue with a King or Queen or move to an elected president, 86% of respondents wanted to keep a King or Queen.

Their popularity is also growing according to the same poll.

I guess as a term for an immature place rather than an actual institution for youth education. Like when people say there* office is just like high school. They don't mean there** learning things at work but rather that the office environment is rather an immature one. I could see him equating world politics to the immature world of high school. It could also mean a bunch of other things but I don't see him writing an album about kids in school especially with the comments made by bmg. Like I said though i could be wrong
their*
they're**

popularity proves it must be a good thing !

so Brexit must be a good thing too ? no?

according to Express ... 'EXPRESS POLL: 60 per cent still want to leave EU a year after referendum'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/821177/Brexit-Express-poll-EU-referendum-one-year-Article-50

I don't know much about the royals... but still no one has answered why they have any power? And why do people blindly believe in these people and give them their money ?

Not sure what you are looking for here? Personally I don't care wether they are here or not. Maybe others like them because in our lifetime, they have always been there and have a long history. The money we give them is nothing in the scheme of things (65 pence were tax payer per annum)

Would you mind answering why apparently Americans are obsessed with the Royal Family?

http://nypost.com/2015/09/08/why-americans-are-so-fond-of-the-queen/

https://www.dailydot.com/via/why-still-obsessed-british-royals/

Not sure what you are looking for here? Personally I don't care wether they are here or not. Maybe others like them because in our lifetime, they have always been there and have a long history. The money we give them is nothing in the scheme of things (65 pence were tax payer per annum)

Would you mind answering why apparently Americans are obsessed with the Royal Family?

http://nypost.com/2015/09/08/why-americans-are-so-fond-of-the-queen/

https://www.dailydot.com/via/why-still-obsessed-british-royals/

Because it seems these scumbag Americans are just as blind as British people that are not questioning why they are giving their money to these people and asking why do they have any power in the first place ? Sheeple ?

Because it seems these scumbag Americans are just as blind as British people that are not questioning why they are giving their money to these people and asking why do they have any power in the first place ? Sheeple ?

Maybe people simply don't mind them being around and for the 3rd time - for anyone that pays tax 65 pence per annum goes towards paying for the Royals. perhaps the cost is so insignificant that no one cares about it? You seem to be making a big deal out of something that the majority of British people are not concerned about?

Maybe people simply don't mind them being around and for the 3rd time - for anyone that pays tax 65 pence per annum goes towards paying for the Royals. perhaps the cost is so insignificant that no one cares about it? You seem to be making a big deal out of something that the majority of British people are not concerned about?

'perhaps the cost is so insignificant' ? Not individually, but as whole? how much is that ?

What's more important ..... Is WHY give them any money in the first place ? who are they to deserve anything ? Why do they have this power in the first place ?

Back
Top Bottom