Do you agree with Morrissey's views on the British monarchy?

Do you agree with Morrissey's views on the British royal family?

• Total voters
tenor.gif

i see your point, quando, but have problems following your interesting "extension theory" of the word 'school' and what it implies. wouldnt you use the definite article "the" then, like in "s/he is low in the high school of life"?

I don't know for sure.
The title says Low in High-School, without " the".
I sense High-School meaning as something as academic, could also be like university, just a higher form of education as average and something desirable, everybody strives for, or considers to be of great import.
And the narrator could mean and consider himself or some or others low at it. At High-School of anything in life.
It could be ironic too as it depends on whether how you rate and appreciate High-School.

'perhaps the cost is so insignificant' ? Not individually, but as whole? how much is that ?

What's more important ..... Is WHY give them any money in the first place ? who are they to deserve anything ? Why do they have this power in the first place ?
Since George 3rd every monarch has agreed to allow the UK government the right to administer the Monarchs huge land holding known as the Crown estate. Running and receiving rents from tenants to be used by the government off the day, and as the civil list is set at 15% of Crown estates annual turnover lets hope, Prince Charles continues the tradition when he becomes King.
Everyone has the right to pass on their wealth and belongings after they die to children or whoever, and just to be jealous that some have a far greater wealth than others to pass on is a bit pathetic and small minded.

Since George 3rd every monarch has agreed to allow the UK government the right to administer the Monarchs huge land holding known as the Crown estate. Running and receiving rents from tenants to be used by the government off the day, and as the civil list is set at 15% of Crown estates annual turnover lets hope, Prince Charles continues the tradition when he becomes King.
Everyone has the right to pass on their wealth and belongings after they die to children or whoever, and just to be jealous that some have a far greater wealth than others to pass on is a bit pathetic and small minded.

thank you sir very much. But I'm still wondering WHY? :lbf: There are a lot of people in this world that own lots of land and money and pass it on ... but what makes those particular set of people from that family in Britain that are rich different than other rich people?... I mean what makes them ' royal'? Is there some magic voodoo in their blood that entitles them to have this royal power over others ?

And why don't people question this 'royalness' ? and continue to support this myth this lie of their superiority over others ?

i see what you mean. in this case, as in quando's, i would expect an article here, not a definite but rather an indefinite one, like in "her office was like a high school". of course we are moving around in the realm of boundless poetic freedom, so no need of articles when you let your mind create a metaphor. but why not call a spade a spade?

Why not call a spade a spade? Well mostly I think at least in terms of music album titles and a lot of poetry is because it's not as much fun to do so

Just for everyones interest in the last MORI poll, when people were asked, should we continue with a King or Queen or move to an elected president, 86% of respondents wanted to keep a King or Queen.

Their popularity is also growing according to the same poll.

Those private polls seem to be quite inaccurate and partial. There are lots of examples of wrong poll results around the world, Brexit included. The only truth about people's desires about an important public matter will emerge from a binding referendum.

Moving the discussion to money matters will always favor the monarchy because most people don't question their inherited wealth. They question the privileges, the treatment they receive and mainly the inheritance of important public powers. That's the true lack of democracy. The money they receive is just a consequence of their functions. When the discussion is translated to money matters monarchy wins.

i dont have to pay for them, i guess. seems they are/were not funded with eu-money. i could try to ignore them, as they are all the same to me. should i be interested? i mean, they are constantly in the news, have german roots, this kind of thing...

can somebody tell me what in the uk is the difference between high school, upper school and senior school? thank you. i assume the "high school" in the album's title is referring to the british school system.
The term High school seems to be confusing for some, in Britain 4-10 year olds attend primary schools, before moving on to high school 10-16 year olds. After 16 Most High schools have a Sixth form, this is Sixth form is for those continuing education to obtain A level exams required to enter Universities. Some private schools refer to this sixth form as Upper school but this is dated and perhaps not any more, more an American thing now.

Last edited:

thank you sir very much. But I'm still wondering WHY? :lbf: There are a lot of people in this world that own lots of land and money and pass it on ... but what makes those particular set of people from that family in Britain that are rich different than other rich people?... I mean what makes them ' royal'? Is there some magic voodoo in their blood that entitles them to have this royal power over others ?

And why don't people question this 'royalness' ? and continue to support this myth this lie of their superiority over others ?

Do people see them as being superior? do people see Trump as being superior or any other world leader? We need a head of state just like every other country in the world, we could have a system where we vote one in, and end up having to go through the expense and uncertainty of what your going to get, lets face it when things aren't going just tickety boo we do vote for the lowest common denominator, it's the same people who vote on a saturday night, for x Factor and Britains dancey dance off, who vote for the likes of Trump and Brexit. The Monarchy over the decades have been politically impartial, and even if they have the supposed powers stated, they haven't and couldn't use them, the house of lords would veto any wild proclomation, just like Trump can't get his wall built. The Queen has done a superb job for this country over the years. There isn't a world leader who wouldn't drop everything and be here a week on Wednesday If the Queen invited them for a state banquet in there honor these wankers love that shit, and it's got to have been useful for the nations interests over the years. All the pantomime and pagentry flag waving is harmless bollocks that everyone enjoys it's a parade a party. Most of the rest of the worlds countrys are headed by gangsters and crooks lets be honest. I vote we leave the old cock where she is, and that wierd looking kid can put his axe away

Do people see them as being superior? do people see Trump as being superior or any other world leader? We need a head of state just like every other country in the world, we could have a system where we vote one in, and end up having to go through the expense and uncertainty of what your going to get, lets face it when things aren't going just tickety boo we do vote for the lowest common denominator, it's the same people who vote on a saturday night, for x Factor and Britains dancey dance off, who vote for the likes of Trump and Brexit. The Monarchy over the decades have been politically impartial, and even if they have the supposed powers stated, they haven't and couldn't use them, the house of lords would veto any wild proclomation, just like Trump can't get his wall built. The Queen has done a superb job for this country over the years. There isn't a world leader who wouldn't drop everything and be here a week on Wednesday If the Queen invited them for a state banquet in there honor these wankers love that shit, and it's got to have been useful for the nations interests over the years. All the pantomime and pagentry flag waving is harmless bollocks that everyone enjoys it's a parade a party. Most of the rest of the worlds countrys are headed by gangsters and crooks lets be honest. I vote we leave the old cock where she is, and that wierd looking kid can put his axe away

Thanks for your reply billybud69.

'Do people see them as being superior?'

superior enough to call them royal give them money and empower them to make decisions that affect the lives of others.

'The Monarchy over the decades have been politically impartial, and even if they have the supposed powers stated, they haven't and couldn't use them, the house of lords would veto any wild proclomation,'

?

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarations_of_war_by_Great_Britain_and_the_United_Kingdom

'In the United Kingdom, only the monarch has the power to declare war and peace, under the royal prerogative. There have been no declarations of war since the Second World War, though British Armed Forces have taken part in armed conflict on numerous occasions nonetheless.

There has been a long-running debate regarding whether Parliament alone should have the power to declare war and more widely to commit British forces to armed conflict. This was attempted (to the limited extent of possible war against Iraq) in 1999 with the introduction of the Military Action Against Iraq (Parliamentary Approval) Bill. However Queen Elizabeth II, acting upon the advice of her government at the time, refused to grant her consent to allow the bill to be debated in Parliament and so it was dropped (Queen's Consent was needed before debate could take place because the bill affected the royal prerogative)'

'All the pantomime and pagentry flag waving is harmless bollocks that everyone enjoys it's a parade a party.'

harmless ? seems like a waste of money that could be spent better elsewhere, and just the ridiculousness of such events could be seen as just a distraction from more important issues that Britain or any country should be dealing with.

Still don't know what makes them 'royal' ? :confused:

And I know the whole fascination with them could be compared to the way people treat actors as celebrity, but at least actors are actually working and some of them can be considered artists by some.

Still don't know what makes them 'royal' ? :confused:
Nothing makes them royal, this is the word used to describe the position of this particular family. Like MP's and judges are honourable (your not going to like that either are you?) It's just a noun. and that Wiki page only proves what I said she does what the government of the day tell her or acts upon the advice of, and we've not been at war since ww2?because she hasn't declared it, yet the Falklands was a conflict? Iraq? Afgan? It's symantics. Any could be called a war if she had been advised to declare it. If she woke up tomorrow and said I'm going to declare war on North Korea That little gobby pan face is having it, how far would it get?

Nothing makes them royal, this is the word used to describe the position of this particular family. Like MP's and judges are honourable (your not going to like that either are you?) It's just a noun. and that Wiki page only proves what I said she does what the government of the day tell her or acts upon the advice of, and we've not been at war since ww2?because she hasn't declared it, yet the Falklands was a conflict? Iraq? Afgan? It's symantics. Any could be called a war if she had been advised to declare it. If she woke up tomorrow and said I'm going to declare war on North Korea That little gobby pan face is having it, how far would it get?
:thumb:
yes, thank you.

'Like MP's and judges are honourable'

I understand why those two examples could be given the position of 'honorable', but unlike the royals, people are usually given titles and positions based on work skills or an education of some sort that would enable them to achieve a title and the position that they are qualified to perform. But why are the people that are from a certain family given the title of 'royal' and are automatically deemed qualified over others to perform duties expected of them? Though after doing some reading, it seems these so called 'duties' don't amount to much and are just for show or symbolic/religious reasons?

'Essentially, because of the history of British law, we are still technically a reigning theocracy where the mandate for power derives from God through their one true representative on earth (i.e. the Queen). The democratically elected government is "appointed" by the Queen to help her run everything in a fair and judicial fashion.'

above quote from 'Effing Tank' on https://www.reddit.com/r/answers/comments/2rozzy/does_the_british_royal_family_have_any_real_power/

so are the royals seen as some divine conduit of God through which the almighty speaks? they seem to have the last say when war is declared.

Is the royal blood truly holy ?

;)

0526-gucci-mane-getty-1200x630.jpg

Gucci Mane stunned by the Queen's custom Bentley

Hey Cala, do you think that guy's face is like that because he started to tattoo his face, and then decided it was a bad idea, and stopped?

OR, is his face like that because he tattooed his face, then started to get it lasered off, and then ran out of money??

His sweatshirt says "PLAY" cause he's like, "Y'all gotta know how to PLAY! Except don't play so hard that you run outta money to finish your face tattoo lasering". David Beckham was photographed on my street yesterday or the day before in his new Bentley 4x4. Do you think Becks would pay for Gucci Mane to finish getting his face tattoos lasered off?

I mean, I think realistically, the answer to that is probably NO. Being that Becks is such a huge ink fan himself.
But I think, Becks would prob stump up for this guy to finish getting his face tattoos, tattooed back ON. Yes I do.

Anyway if I was the Queen of England, I would tell this guy to pick his mouth up off the floor and stop gawping already.

Hey Cala, do you think that guy's face is like that because he started to tattoo his face, and then decided it was a bad idea, and stopped?

OR, is his face like that because he tattooed his face, then started to get it lasered off, and then ran out of money??

His sweatshirt says "PLAY" cause he's like, "Y'all gotta know how to PLAY! Except don't play so hard that you run outta money to finish your face tattoo lasering". David Beckham was photographed on my street yesterday or the day before in his new Bentley 4x4. Do you think Becks would pay for Gucci Mane to finish getting his face tattoos lasered off?

I mean, I think realistically, the answer to that is probably NO. Being that Becks is such a huge ink fan himself.
But I think, Becks would prob stump up for this guy to finish getting his face tattoos, tattooed back ON. Yes I do.

Anyway if I was the Queen of England, I would tell this guy to pick his mouth up off the floor and stop gawping already.

He got an ice cream cone tattooed on his face and then hit the delete button on them shits.
c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg

I saw those Bentley 4x4's. They're okay but seem more like what you'd buy for your mom after your record went platinum.

Why not call a spade a spade? Well mostly I think at least in terms of music album titles and a lot of poetry is because it's not as much fun to do so

You are spot on.
Of course you can call a spade a spade. While talking or discussing.
But to sing: A spade is a spade is not revealing or saying much.
It is a tautology. Green is green. A door is a door.
It can be more insightful and poetic by not saying it directly or even denying it.

A spade is not a spade. Green is not green.
Or using words that suggests a spade IS a spade but only hinting at that indirectly by using other words.
Metaphors, and the words using it for that goal are many times suggestive and sometimes revealing as anybody would use words from their own personal idiom and individual life.

If you sing "People Are The Same Everywhere", what does it say?
Are they, or are they not? Is it ironic? The whole point by singing about it, it is you could ask the question to yourself. As Moz did. And in a way he asked his audience too. I think.

Back
Top Bottom