Do the tracks and early reviews bode well for Morrissey's best album since Vauxhall?

Do the tracks and early reviews bode well for Morrissey's best album since Vauxhall?

• Yes! World Peace will be the best album since Vauxhall!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • The chances are good, but of course I'll wait and see!

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Not sure, but it'll likely contain some of his best stuff in ages.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't think so. What I've heard so far isn't that impressive, lyrically and/or musically.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • NO way! It'll be another middling release.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Marr's lyrics on 'The Messenger' are a bit too anonymous and bland at times, but there is nothing on there which is as truly dire as the sixth form poetry rhymes of 'Egypt, Ukraine/So many people in pain', or 'When he first cried/ His mother died/ I had tried/ to be his guide', which are so bad, it makes you wonder if Morrissey has received some kind of head injury in the past few years.

I don't know.

I liked what I've heard so far. But I haven't disliked everything he's done since Vauxhall.

Glad to see general optimism before the album. That's always the case, I suppose, but the multiple positive reviews and released tracks bolster things (Istanbul and Bullfighter, for me).

I thought about how to word the poll question -- in retrospect it could've been clearer, but I went with common wisdom of Vauxhall being Morrissey's best solo album and Quarry the pinnacle of the post-winter years, i.e. the one to "beat".

Both Quarry and Ringleader has some sterling b-sides. Years, less so (the great My Dearest Love excepted). In lieu of b-sides for World Peace, we have an extended edition. Have a feeling it'll pip Quarry's deluxe edition.

Glad to see general optimism before the album. That's always the case, I suppose, but the multiple positive reviews and released tracks bolster things (Istanbul and Bullfighter, for me).

I thought about how to word the poll question -- in retrospect it could've been clearer, but I went with common wisdom of Vauxhall being Morrissey's best solo album and Quarry the pinnacle of the post-winter years, i.e. the one to "beat".

Both Quarry and Ringleader has some sterling b-sides. Years, less so (the great My Dearest Love excepted). In lieu of b-sides for World Peace, we have an extended edition. Have a feeling it'll pip Quarry's deluxe edition.

Quite a few fans think YATQ is his best 'recent' album but the critics certainly didn't, despite the massive amount of hype at the time.
It was his first album to feature truly awful lyrics (15 miles of shit, smelly uniforms, silly policewomen etc), and there was tons of filler from the bland I'm Not Sorry to the idiotic Crashing Bores to the simplistic cliches of Back To Camden.
First of the Gang was one of his best ever singles but the quality gap between that song and the rest is enormous.
The Quarry b-sides were brilliant though - arguably the best set of b-sides ever to accompany a Morrissey album (possible exception of V Hate).

Quarry's B sides are it's greatest asset (yes also the first 2 singles of course) but it's not the one to beat for me.

I know a lot of people had issues w/ YATQ, specifically the lyrics. I can sorta see why but they don't bother me. I think it's a front to back solid album, even with the "hamburger" lyric :)

The chances are good, but of course I'll wait and see!

I always point out here that Years of Refusal is one of Morrissey's most critically acclaimed albums. So if you hate Years of Refusal maybe you shouldn't be psyched about the reviews for World Peace is None of Your Business.

(For what it's worth I liked Years of Refusal quite a lot).

Yep - 'Years of Refusal' is great, and my favourite of the three 'comeback' albums. But it's traditional for everyone to hype any new album by a long-standing artist as 'the best since one 20 years ago', and ignore the one they were raving about last time.

I was going to check Metacritic the other day -- interesting.
I would've thought the reverse, or perhaps Ringleader a touch above the other two (from a critics' pov).

I really enjoyed Years -- I think it's the best of the three to listen to from start to finish (similar to Southpaw in that respect), but doesn't have anything as emotionally powerful as Pigsty or Camden.

Perhaps it's the whole success of the Quarry era that makes it seem as though the album itself is generally regarded as the best of the three.

I just assumed of the last three that Quarry would’ve had the highest rating. I can remember just how much praise it got when it came out, which I’m sure was helped by the fact that his previous LP was released 7 years prior.

I’m amazed at the amount of people I know personally who are super into Moz that downright HATE “Years of Refusal”.

Baffles me too.

It's not the lyrics that stop me from loving Quarry. I love the music and some of the songs are my faves, especially 'I Like You" and "You know I couldn't Last". It's just as an overall album it kinda has the same feeling through out. There's not enough peaks and troughs, highs and lows that made Vauxhall And I so engaging. I guess I'm saying it lacks atmosphere.

If you don't like "Years Of Refusal' try listening to it in the car very loud! It's the best road album he has ever done :)

Baffles me too.

It's not the lyrics that stop me from loving Quarry. I love the music and some of the songs are my faves, especially 'I Like You" and "You know I couldn't Last". It's just as an overall album it kinda has the same feeling through out. There's not enough peaks and troughs, highs and lows that made Vauxhall And I so engaging. I guess I'm saying it lacks atmosphere.

If you don't like "Years Of Refusal' try listening to it in the car very loud! It's the best road album he has ever done :)

agreed! Finally got my hands on the vinyl too (had the CD when it came out, then the iTunes version, now vinyl)

I know a lot of people had issues w/ YATQ, specifically the lyrics. I can sorta see why but they don't bother me. I think it's a front to back solid album, even with the "hamburger" lyric :)

Agreed. The person saying Camden is full of cliches is a moron.

agreed! Finally got my hands on the vinyl too (had the CD when it came out, then the iTunes version, now vinyl)

Just out of interest was the vinyl you bought on glossy card or textured? The one I bought was glossy but then I also picked up one of those signed ones they were selling at the Prague concert in '09 and thought it was much nicer. Glad to hear of other vinyl lovers.

Great album either way. The first 6 tracks are killer! I zone out a little during 'That's How People Grow Up". Love "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" to the end, especially "I'm Okay By Myself". The only song I really skip is "Sorry Doesn't Help". I mean he already wrote "I'm Not Sorry". Did we need another song about apologising? I don't mind the music but the chorus is awful and reminds me of the latest wilderness tracks that I am glad didn't make World Peace...

Last edited:
Agreed. The person saying Camden is full of cliches is a moron.

"Where taxi drivers never stop talking" is a foolish clichéd observation. Oh those taxi drivers - they do like to talk!
If you can't see that, you're the biggest f***wit on the planet.
A truly dire song loved only by simpletons.

"Where taxi drivers never stop talking" is a foolish clichéd observation. Oh those taxi drivers - they do like to talk!
If you can't see that, you're the biggest f***wit on the planet.
A truly dire song loved only by simpletons.

Oh sir, you don't half talk a lot of pish!

Just out of interest was the vinyl you bought on glossy card or textured? The one I bought was glossy but then I also picked up one of those signed ones they were selling at the Prague concert in '09 and thought it was much nicer. Glad to hear of other vinyl lovers.

Great album either way. The first 6 tracks are killer! I zone out a little during 'That's How People Grow Up". Love "One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell" to the end, especially "I'm Okay By Myself". The only song I really skip is "Sorry Doesn't Help". I mean he already wrote "I'm Not Sorry". Did we need another song about apologising? I don't mind the music but the chorus is awful and reminds me of the latest wilderness tracks that I am glad didn't make World Peace...

I just wish it had more than 2 B Sides.

Glossy, I believe. It’s this one:

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Morrissey-Years-Of-Refusal/167352472?ev=bp_titl

I also got several of the recent remastered Moz solo on vinyl (Kill Uncle, Arsenal, Vauxhall).

Back
Top Bottom