Do fans still go to Oscar Wilde's grave?

Librarian On Fire

Do Smiths' fans still make the pilgrimage to Oscar Wilde's grave in the Cimetière du Père Lachaise in Paris? I know for awhile there were concerns that fans scrawling "There is a light that never goes out" on the stone was damaging it. Looking at all the lipstick kisses on the stone the damage is continuing.

http://www.poetsgraves.co.uk/images/wilde.jpg

All perhaps we've all been and ticked that off the guide to being a Smiths fan.

I last called on the afternoon of the Zenith gig in November 2009. I spend a week in Paris every year, so drop in most years. My sister-in-law is a big Doors fan, so we get dragged in by her as well. Victor Noir has to be my favourite grave. I can honestly say that my photograph taken in 1997 is better than Cartier-Bresson's version taken many years earlier. I'm looking at it now, hanging proudly on my living room wall.

Is this you, Brel?
Dita_Mourth.jpg

I've only been to Paris once and yes, I went to see Oscar. If I ever get the chance I'd go again.

Dave

Is this you, Brel?
Dita_Mourth.jpg

I've only been to Paris once and yes, I went to see Oscar. If I ever get the chance I'd go again.

Dave

I don't remember wearing that necklace? ;)

I did, two years ago. Père Lachaise is an incredible place, I wandered around it all day long, took hundreds of photos.

rm8meg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom