Distorted world view? Why is it so attractive?

Neil Gee

Hi all I'm new to this forum so was thinking why does Morrissey see the world so differently from the rest of us?

Is his world just wired differently or is there some more basic psychological reason to do with the aggressive macho father and the homosexual (now bisexual) son?

I know this will wind up most Moz fans who only want to see him in a heroic light and I apologise in advance but have you heard of something called child truamatisation? It's a term I've discovered to describe what happens when a child receives a rejection that they can't accept from a parent, and, well, the child just "shuts down". The emotions switch off. It's a kind of safety valve because the child has to refuse this ultimate rejection, has to turn away from it, so rather than deal with the fact that their parent has just shown them absolute hatred where they were expecting sympathy or love they stop feeling anything at all.

The "shut down" must be something programmed into the human self defence mechanism, there's nothing you can do about it, the problem with it is it immediately begins to work against the victim because the victim can't "feel" anything and doesn't experience the usual adolescence and ascent into adulthood from an emotional point of view at all but all rather from an outsider's point of view .

I've just realised that a terrible mistake I've made posting something like this on a website dedicated to Morrissey's uniqueness but there are clues in the Rogan biography to suggest this happens. Old school primary school friends described him as going very quiet for a while (a typical sympton of truamatisation) but Rogan breezes over this with some adult opinions...

Re: Distorted world view? Why is it so attractive?i

Unless you're being ironic and a troll, I'd save this for your next therapy session. Don't waste your time pondering the squalor of Morrissey's mind or the hive mind of his cult who witter away here.

Morrissey has nothing of value to say about childhood trauma, other than the cherry pick stories of real ones which interest him as artistic decoration, like the Moors Murders, or which move him to mockery, like the ongoing tragedy of Madeleine McCann.

This is a teenager who was funded for a handful of extended stays in America by working class parents, who didn't face pressure to work, who wasn't abused as a child although he tries to hint he was, and who uses the basic 'miserly lit' script of any other titillating bad author in the W.H.Smiths' trauma section. He is a fraud and, sadly, always was, as his revelations now contaminate all of the earliest quality work which previously could be given credence as informed art rather than posturing.

Online revelations (real or bogus) can be fun, but it's been done. I suspect you're a troll, like Morrissey, but if you're not, don't bother discussing your legacy of trauma with the cult denizens here. Get help, get better, get a life: unlike permanent fake-victim Morrissey.

"oh, the squalor of the Morrissey-Solo hive mind!" Etc

Unless you're being ironic and a troll, I'd save this for your next therapy session. Don't waste your time pondering the squalor of Morrissey's mind or the hive mind of his cult who witter away here.

Morrissey has nothing of value to say about childhood trauma, other than the cherry pick stories of real ones which interest him as artistic decoration, like the Moors Murders, or which move him to mockery, like the ongoing tragedy of Madeleine McCann.

This is a teenager who was funded for a handful of extended stays in America by working class parents, who didn't face pressure to work, who wasn't abused as a child although he tries to hint he was, and who uses the basic 'miserly lit' script of any other titillating bad author in the W.H.Smiths' trauma section. He is a fraud and, sadly, always was, as his revelations now contaminate all of the earliest quality work which previously could be given credence as informed art rather than posturing.

Online revelations (real or bogus) can be fun, but it's been done. I suspect you're a troll, like Morrissey, but if you're not, don't bother discussing your legacy of trauma with the cult denizens here. Get help, get better, get a life: unlike permanent fake-victim Morrissey.

"oh, the squalor of the Morrissey-Solo hive mind!" Etc

You'll be calling him a "phoney" next.

(P.S. The only troll here will be coming to a mirror near you very soon. "Get help, get better, get a life" - you must be talking to yourself yet again.)

This "distorted world view" as you put it isn't attractive. In fact, after all these years, it might be the final nail.

I would also advise that you shouldn't believe everything you read.

What is all this "troll" business? I'd never heard the term a couple of months ago, now suddenly everytime I post something someone doesn't agree with I'm accused of being a troll.

I have to continue to disagree with Brummie's premise that Morrissey is striking some sort of a pose, I think that is to misconstrue what I'm saying about a childhood emotional shutdown, it's real, it does happen, and it's not something that the victim can control, but it is totally treatable. However I get the feeling I am peeing in the wind here. Sorry I bothered.

Brummie boy calling some newbie "a troll" :rofl:
but yeah, Neil, um, not the best first post you could have made :o
still, welcome and all :thumb:
however, I'd skip reading anymore of this thread :straightface:
after my post, of course :p
maybe read a little more here before doing the whole over analytical thing, which tends to reveal more about yourself than anything else :eek:

What is all this "troll" business? I'd never heard the term a couple of months ago, now suddenly everytime I post something someone doesn't agree with I'm accused of being a troll.

I have to continue to disagree with Brummie's premise that Morrissey is striking some sort of a pose, I think that is to misconstrue what I'm saying about a childhood emotional shutdown, it's real, it does happen, and it's not something that the victim can control, but it is totally treatable. However I get the feeling I am peeing in the wind here. Sorry I bothered.

Don't listen to Brummie, he's a c***

At least Brummie gave me something to answer, the "Robby" post is just unanswerable, though i'd be interested to know what he thinks I'm saying about myself :)

At least Brummie gave me something to answer, the "Robby" post is just unanswerable, though i'd be interested to know what he thinks I'm saying about myself :)
I don't know you man, especially since I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, and ignoring that 1st post, keep it simple at first :o
you'll be fine, no judgement, enjoy the site :thumb:

Alright as long as I don't post anything questioning poor Moz's grip on reality, I should read what other people are posting and post stuff more like that, then everything will be fine, thanx for the advice, and the "benefit of the doubt", and for welcoming me to your site. I don't know why i thought I could do it any differently, damn silly of me.

Hello Neil. [I am Mars_Rover but too lazy to sign in every time i visit this site] How would you describe Morrissey's "distorted world view"? He is a unique individual, as we all are, but very relatable. His songs speak deeply to many people.

Don't listen to Brummie, he's a c***

I have to say, I'm a little shocked at your language. When I visit the boulevards and promenades of Goole, I never hear that word used by young ladies. I find it a little vulgar, if I'm honest. Maybe us BrummieBoys are just a bit too genteel?

- - - Updated - - -

You'll be calling him a "phoney" next.

(P.S. The only troll here will be coming to a mirror near you very soon. "Get help, get better, get a life" - you must be talking to yourself yet again.)

You know, I'm going to have to press 'pause' on my commenting history on this site whilst I consider your advice. Do you really think that? It's quite harsh, almost hurtful. I expected to be welcomed and loved by Morrissey's fans, it's shocking to think I might not be welcome here...where else could I go? I guess I could try to be a Cure fan?

- - - Updated - - -

Morrissey is striking a pose, Vogue! Oscar Wilde and Jimmy Dean, they wuz on the movie screen, or whatevs Madge sang/said. yeah, emotional shutdown and touring 200 nights a year: it's a hard knock life being a professional victim of Sarfpaw Gramma, innit.

- - - Updated - - -

Robby? He has Internet Emoticon Disorder.

Robbie's on a world tour, he's in Chengdu. And he's on a diet. Don't pay any attention to him. He's just lonely and trying to pretend chinese chicks think he's hot, but we know it's only if he's got a wad of remnimbi or whatever they call their pretend dollar nowwadays.

Thank you Brummie and Mars Rover. If somebody else didn't come back with something worth replying to I think that would have been the end of me on this forum but I am interested in opinions on Moz and just why you people see him as so fascinating so here I am.

I know or rather my opinion is that a large part of Morrissey's appeal is his consistency, 54 and he ends the book on a "I'm too shy" & a "I have many fans but I'm too afraid of intimacy to allow them to get close to me".

What other star can boast that?

I won't reiterate what I said in the first post, nor will I elaborate on it just now, but I just thought that ending was very significant.

Brummie, despite the warnings and the fact that I don't agree with some of what you say still I think I like you :)

So Robby doesn't own this site then? I just assumed from his tone that he was the boss?

Thank you Brummie and Mars Rover. If somebody else didn't come back with something worth replying to I think that would have been the end of me on this forum but I am interested in opinions on Moz and just why you people see him as so fascinating so here I am.

I know or rather my opinion is that a large part of Morrissey's appeal is his consistency, 54 and he ends the book on a "I'm too shy" & a "I have many fans but I'm too afraid of intimacy to allow them to get close to me".

What other star can boast that?

I won't reiterate what I said in the first post, nor will I elaborate on it just now, but I just thought that ending was very significant.

Brummie, despite the warnings and the fact that I don't agree with some of what you say still I think I like you :)

So Robby doesn't own this site then? I just assumed from his tone that he was the boss?

David Tseng owns this site and largely runs it responsibly and ethically, although the odd Mod cracks under the strain now and again. It's a very interesting experiment in Internet 2.0 free speech and, thus, is anathema to Moz.

Robby isn't the boss! He's funny, read his travels in China and Georgia threads for pure facepalmness. Watch out for the 3 Mental Patients if they return, they will try to be your friend then you will see the glass in the grass,etc.

You, like anyone else, can like, dislike, hate or ignore me. I don't care! It's all about me. Not Morrissey: me. I'm here to think through 'stardom', nothing else. Moz is just Exhibit A from the Celebrity C List.

Thanx Brummie I have just googled David Tseng and read all about him being surrounded by security and ejected from a Morrissey concert for the high crime of owning this site and M wearing a "f*** MORRISSEY-SOLO.COM" T shirt. Wow. I wonder if it's true (I trust nothing that the press say).

This is probably of no interest whatsoever to anyone but me but I had a brother in law who perhaps took on too much of what he thought was the Moz persona. He was homosexual and celibate, and I remember how bored with it all I got as year passed year and he kept moaning about the same things, his isolation etc, I just found myself wanting to say "Well do something about it then", because that's what I would have done, but I couldn't say it and he didn't do anything about it, instead he drank himself to death by the age of 45.

All I'm saying is that if your life's that bad then you change things, I don't think i'm alone in thinking that I think it's what most people would do, unless there's something out of your control that's stopping you from changing things.

Hi all I'm new to this forum so was thinking why does Morrissey see the world so differently from the rest of us?

Is his world just wired differently or is there some more basic psychological reason to do with the aggressive macho father and the homosexual (now bisexual) son?

I know this will wind up most Moz fans who only want to see him in a heroic light and I apologise in advance but have you heard of something called child truamatisation? It's a term I've discovered to describe what happens when a child receives a rejection that they can't accept from a parent, and, well, the child just "shuts down". The emotions switch off. It's a kind of safety valve because the child has to refuse this ultimate rejection, has to turn away from it, so rather than deal with the fact that their parent has just shown them absolute hatred where they were expecting sympathy or love they stop feeling anything at all.

The "shut down" must be something programmed into the human self defence mechanism, there's nothing you can do about it, the problem with it is it immediately begins to work against the victim because the victim can't "feel" anything and doesn't experience the usual adolescence and ascent into adulthood from an emotional point of view at all but all rather from an outsider's point of view .

I've just realised that a terrible mistake I've made posting something like this on a website dedicated to Morrissey's uniqueness but there are clues in the Rogan biography to suggest this happens. Old school primary school friends described him as going very quiet for a while (a typical sympton of truamatisation) but Rogan breezes over this with some adult opinions...

I think it is plain narcissism. The Boys Town buccaneer Russell Brand suffers in exactly the same way, only the trauma that supposedly sent him in that direction came from drugs, rather than repressed sexuality. Watch Brand "versus" Paxman on Newsnight last week to view the psychosis in full effect. As with Brand so with Morrissey. Two peas in a pod.

Thank you Senor Barleycorn and guest, particularly for the link which shows we may be talking about the same thing, maybe you've just found the proper name for it but I'm not sure yet (more reading required).

It usually starts with a significant emotional wound or a series of them culminating in a major trauma of separation/attachment

Last edited:

Yes, those things did happen. The actions align with the personality traits discussed here.

Thanx Brummie I have just googled David Tseng and read all about him being surrounded by security and ejected from a Morrissey concert for the high crime of owning this site and M wearing a "f*** MORRISSEY-SOLO.COM" T shirt. Wow. I wonder if it's true (I trust nothing that the press say).

Back
Top Bottom