Discussion of new songs aired today on 6 Music Live

Maurice E Maher

Just checking in for the first time today, and it's hard to find a thread with a focused discussion on the new songs, so suggesting we do so here.
I, and I'm guessing quite a few others, haven't heard them yet.
Think about 5 new ones were played plus a Pretenders cover?
What are they like? Fast/slow? Big choruses? Song titles feature in all the songs?
More flamenco guitars like on World Peace? Keyboard based, maybe synth strings to replicate the real strings on some songs? Anything mainly acoustic sounding like Smiler with Knife? Any falsetto? Many instrumental bits without singing?
Overall impressions? We looking at a so-so album, or potentially his best since Vauxhall?
That's probably enough questions for now!

Good idea!

I'll kick off with All The Young People.

It's either a complete and utter train smash of a song or a wonderful anthem, I can't quite make my mind up from this live version as there is a lot going on. Hopefully the studio version has polish and finesse, it could be great.

Sounds like they are still learning these songs. Truly dull.

All The Young People Must Fall In Love is this album's Earth Is The Loneliest Planet.
Unlistenable.

Oh, dear. We're often on the same wavelength with regards to highlights/lowlights so this does remove some of the gusto in looking forward to downloading and listening later. Here's hoping you're "wrong." ;)

I just cancelled my pre-orders of the new album. Hoping the studio versions are better.

Great review here. 'Open your legs' described as having best chorus since First of the Gang. New songs described as 'cracking'.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/co...-cracking-new-songs-morrissey-bbc-maida-vale/

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For context, I liked "World Peace." "Open Your Legs" I'd liken to "Istanbul," but without the highlight on Matt Walker's drumming. The chorus is what you'd expect of Morrissey now "Everything I know deserts me now when you open your legs."

And 'All the young people' as 'the most lovely thing he's done in years'. Encouraging!

It's certainly the most unexpected. A heavy rhythm, a jovial melody, backup vocals. A very 'summer' song, if I had to describe it, but with Morrissey lyrics.

"Jacky" has sort of a grunge/punk feel to it, tempo/texture-wise. Some cool effects near the end where he's singing "Everybody's headed for the EXIT, EXIT." Sounds like effects on the vocal or a group vocal, possibly a sample toward the very end?

My favourite of the 5 is 'Jackie'. It's got a great Rhythm. I love the vocal melody and lyrically it's probably my favourite.

To be honest you'd be better to listen for yourself. There's so many negative comments on here today you don't want them clouding your judgment.

"Jacky" has sort of a grunge/punk feel to it, tempo/texture-wise. Some cool effects near the end where he's singing "Everybody's headed for the EXIT, EXIT." Sounds like effects on the vocal or a group vocal, possibly a sample toward the very end?

There's also a mans spoken voice repeating some of the lines. It didn't sound deep enough to me to be Morrissey's. We'll have a better idea when we here the studio version. Can't wait.

My favourite of the 5 is 'Jackie'. It's got a great Rhythm. I love the vocal melody and lyrically it's probably my favourite.

Yeah, it's probably "Jacky" for me as well.

The closing of "I Wish You Lonely" is kind of cool about the "last stranded humpback whale chased by gunships, but never giving in."

As indicated elsewhere on here, I thought the Pretenders cover was really well pulled-off.

Sounded like Morrissey come in a bit too early on the vocal at the beginning of 'When you open your legs' he seemed to elongate the first word. I suppose we have to remember this is the first time they've played these songs to a live audience. They're going to sound a bit raw.

I liked home is a question mark as it built to the best climax. Not quite the same but it brought to much be it's not your birthday. Overall I'd say it sounds like a mix of yor and ringleader. Spent the day in bed was really nice live as the chourus boomed a bit more given by it a more anthemic quality but the quirky keyboard sound was not repeated in any of the other songs. Really most of the sound of world peace wasn't present in the songs from what I could hear except maybe for the bells in home....Jackie was catchy for sure but it'll be good to hear all these on the album. It did sound like they were still working on getting the songs tighter. You could tell the difference when they played something like bullfighter, which they must know inside and out by now, which was super spot on vs a new song. As for the cover all I can say is I liked it. I'm not a big pretenders fan but I feel like I've heard it somewhere in my child hood. Honestly it made me think of r.e.m. For whatever reason. Someday there's going there will be a morrisseys covers comp

WHAT ARE THEY LIKE ?

M - "It's the CRACK of Noon... and I've been made available......and here we are in Maida Vale....(that's it!) "

TRACK - YOU HAVE KILLED ME
> Still Superb.

TRACK - I WISH YOU LONELY
"Think Of Yourself Lonely, Of everything YOU demand, You want and You need... to hell with
everybody else...."
"Tombs are full of fools..who gave their life upon command..."
>Great Band. Fantastic Arrangement and drumming.

"Love You" female screams from stage left
M - "Could You Demonstrate" (pause) "QUICKLY !"
Audience Laughs...

TRACK - SPENT THE DAY IN BED
"The news contrives to frighten you.."
> Yep, sure does. Superb Song, keyboards, Vocals and backing vocals.

TRACK - SPEEDWAY "When You SLAM down the hammer, can you delve so-lo"
> oh yes. So LO. And Still Superb.

TRACK - ISTANBUL
> Superb.

TRACK - GANGLORD
"Even In Catalonia, The Police Can Be Bribed....."
> Still Superb

TRACK - JACKY's ALWAYS HAPPY WHEN SHE'S ON THE STAGE
"Since She Lost You, She's determined to prove how she can build up her page..."
"Cue Lights..Everybody is running to the exit"

> This band are fantastic live - these Guitars sound lush (that means superb !)

TRACK - BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG
"I found a picture of you, it high-jacked my world at night..."

M - "That song was originally written by B. Hynde, as she's known by her family (pause) and her local vicar..."

> Superb Cover. Superb vocals and drumming.

TRACK - WPINOYB
>Still Superb.

TRACK - THE BULL-FIGHTER DIES
"Free Catalona from Spain. Free the Bull from Spain. Free Everyone from Spain."
> Still Superb.

M - "Thank You to 6 Music for inviting us along today. We don't get many invitations...so it's nice to get in the bus." "This is a song called When You Open Your Legs (pause).. It's about cycling..."

TRACK - WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR LEGS

"Everything I know, deserts me now, when you open your legs..."
"I see it all, as plain as day, as people give, so long as they receive...soon."
> Superb.

"Obviously that will be chopped..."
> It's not obvious. The musical composition on this track is fantastic - it rises and falls with great pulsating crescendos of multi-layered instruments, each with perfect tone.
Magical.

TRACK - JACK THE RIPPER
"Crash into my arms.. I want you."

> With reverb, great drums and timing. Still Superb.

M - "My shocking career. Not shocking at all. Quite nice. I'll just check my notes... (pause) one
brown loaf......."

TRACK - HOME IS A QUESTION MARK
"Because I haven't met YOU. I've wined and I've dined, with every bogus music mogul. No Sign Of You...."
"If I ever get there..... do you really think I will, do you really think I will."

> Listen. LISTEN. Magical Morrissey.

Hazard
x

Well....I was very impressed by the new tracks.

I Wish You Lonely is fast, crisp, with an unorthodox structure that does not follow the verse,chorus,verse,chorus,middle 8,verse, chorus thing Moz does so well. I felt it to be a huge chorus in its entirety, which is always good.

The vocal hooks on it are superb and it DOES have a mental Smithsy falsetto in the middle. Clearly one of the singles.

Bed was great to hear live, despite the horrid laser sounds at the beginning. Apart from that, it sounds anthemic and big already. What a helluva great pop song.

Jackie does have a Staircase At University feel, with catchy vocal hooks throughout. It finishes with an ad lib "exit/Brexit" repetition. I believe he sings Brexit. Can anyone confirm that? It's powerful and overflowing with a certain anarchic newness.

When you open your legs is the Spanish song on the album, with Latin inspired instrumentation throughout. It's cacthy (as usual) and fresh.

Home has one of those super emotional heart-tearing giants of a chorus a la I Have Forgiven Jesus. It does stand out as the melodramatic song on the set.

Young People is a slower song , which I heard only once and not till the end...as the quality I got on this one , regarding technical aspects, was too low. So I preferred to abort it , just to hear it on the album proper. So I can't tell much about this one.

All in all, the new songs sounded fresh, pompous, fast, catchy and hopedully revealing of the bigger block they represent a chunk off.

Thanks, Moz...

And yes, oppressive religions suck!

Last edited:
Here's one. It doesn't sound that great to me - really hoping the others are better or I might have to cancel my pre-order.

Here's one. It doesn't sound that great to me - really hoping the others are better or I might have to cancel my pre-order.

I think the song is good but the performance is raw and not the tightest which will of course be different on album and I imagine after they play them a bunch of times live

I have nuffink to add other than that he seemed to have a spring in his step like Sinatra on drugs.

Back
Top Bottom