Did you go to this broadway show & if so, did you find it very controversial?

Sounds interesting!

"Haunting and electrifying!" is a funny blurb. I know nothing about this but I distrust anything having to do with "rock and roll" that is in a Broadway musical.

Spring Awakening is playing here in SF this month. The original play was banned in Germany due to its portrayal of masturbation, abortion, rape and suicide. What's not to like? I am looking forward to seeing it. :)

I saw a play about World War II written by some English guy, called "Goodnight Children Everywhere". I went with a friend and this other person we worked with had told us it was sexy and controversial. Imagine our surprise when the big sex scene involved some splashing around in the bath by a teenage sister to her little brother. My friend Sarah said she wanted to "tell the bitch to leave him alone". They had a question and answer section at the end, and I wish I had asked my question, "Do you all live in the same trailer park?" but was afraid they wouldn't get the Jerry Springer reference.

For a Broadway musical it is a bit controversial (its based on a 19th century German play, so its not waaay out) in the same way Rent was. It isn't particularly shocking compared with, say, Sarah Kane's plays.

"My Junk" is a fav. Duncan Sheik (yes, Mr. Barely breathing) wrote the music so it sounds more alt pop than Webber or Townsend.

I saw a play about World War II written by some English guy, called "Goodnight Children Everywhere". I went with a friend and this other person we worked with had told us it was sexy and controversial. Imagine our surprise when the big sex scene involved some splashing around in the bath by a teenage sister to her little brother. My friend Sarah said she wanted to "tell the bitch to leave him alone". They had a question and answer section at the end, and I wish I had asked my question, "Do you all live in the same trailer park?" but was afraid they wouldn't get the Jerry Springer reference.
Dave, you should have asked your question. Jerry Springer is not an unknown in Britian.

Jerry Springer: The Opera is a British musical written by Stewart Lee and Richard Thomas, based on the television show The Jerry Springer Show. The show is notable for its profanity, its irreverent treatment of Judeo-Christian themes, and surreal images such as a troupe of tap-dancing Ku Klux Klan members. The musical is completely sung throughout, with the exceptions of Jerry, who speaks, and a brief speech by the character Steve.

It has since closed in London and went on a sporadic tour in GB. Looks like it only had two performances in the US at Carnegie Hall in January 2008, starring Harvey Keitel. :eek: Will wonders never cease!

Hi dothewatusi, I love your avatar, btw...

ALL DAY today on the 10am-2pm show of this one station we get in the lab, this show was discussed. Oi, talk about how much is too much?

I can't believe how things are so wound up because of this play. I think I should go see it for myself & see how it goes. LOL

Anyone see this on this site?

Spring awakening

Has anyone here been to it or think it's really that "controversial"?
Controversial, no. Worth seeing, yes!!

I just saw Spring Awakening last night and all I can say is, go see it! Wonderful music, angelic voices, fantastic dancing, great hair, angst, sadness, violence and hope. All in a little over two hours. :p

We got tickets for the onstage seats, which you have to queue up for on the day. We sat on stage with the actors and band right next to us. Incredible.

Mozzy1 said:
ALL DAY today on the 10am-2pm show of this one station we get in the lab, this show was discussed. Oi, talk about how much is too much? I can't believe how things are so wound up because of this play.
'Spring Awakening has clearly struck a chord as a pop phenomenon...To leverage the inherent draw of a young cast dealing with adolescent issues, the show's tour producers, Pun Bandhu and Marc Falato of ZenDog Productions, developed an online marketing strategy. They set up Facebook and MySpace pages and made the musical's Web site as interactive as possible. Mobile phone technology made it possible to offer services like texting in to win tickets or secure last-minute rush seats.

"We knew that this musical in particular deals with teenage issues, it would appeal to the people going through them," said Bandhu, "but we didn't expect to have the success we've had."

The Bay Area has responded as well. A local arm of the national fan group that calls itself "The Guilty Ones," a reference to a song lyric, has helped spread the word about the show. Volunteer street teams donate their time to promoting the show. School groups have come, with some especially passionate fans going repeatedly.' -SFChron

So true. The two kids sitting next to me had together seen SA over 20 times!

Mozzy1 said:
I think I should go see it for myself & see how it goes. LOL
Yes, you should! :)

Back
Top Bottom