Did moz use unrelased smiths songs

C

Craig morrison

On morrisseys debut album were any of the songs intended for the smiths if they hadn't split

Bengali in Platforms was a lyric he used when the Smtiths still existed, albeit without Johnny.

The songs on Viva Hate were written by Stephen Street. So the answer is no.
Street did however intent some if the songs be used as potential b-sides for the last Smiths singles but that never happened obviously.
Bengali In Platforms was a lyric Morrissey had written before he decided to go solo when he was trying out another guitarist together with Andy and Mike after Johnny had bunked.

Morrissey would have used lyrical ideas in his solo work that potentially could have ended up in Smith’s songs if they had stayed together. There is a picture of him holding a page on which he as written “Rush to danger”. The photograph is from 1985/86 but the lyric wasn’t used for another 7 0r 8 years until Now My Heart is Full. It’s quite well known that the original title for what became The Queen is Dead was Margaret on the Guillotine.

johnboy used unreleased smiths songs,bryan ferrys the right stuff was the music from a smiths instrumental.

johnboy used unreleased smiths songs,bryan ferrys the right stuff was the music from a smiths instrumental.

You're referring to the Smiths instrumental Money Changes Everything - it was released as the b-side of Big Mouth Strikes Again.

On The Right Stuff single, it is credited as "Ferry/Marr" - probably driving a stake through poor Morrissey's heart.

Margaret on the/a Guillotine was the working title for The Queen is Dead.

Presumably, Morrissey must have had unused lyrics and/or jottings when the Smiths split, and it would be a reasonable bet he didn't just set fire to them.

The lines (changed)

‘When I sleep with that picture of
you framed beside my bed
oh, it's childish and it's silly
but I think it's you in my room
by the bed’

Was going to be used for a matrix message, think for Strangeways’ / ‘Last Night’?

Don’t have my copy of Peepholism with me, but the correct info is there.

The lines (changed)

‘When I sleep with that picture of
you framed beside my bed
oh, it's childish and it's silly
but I think it's you in my room
by the bed’

Was going to be used for a matrix message, think for Strangeways’ / ‘Last Night’?

Don’t have my copy of Peepholism with me, but the correct info is there.
Yes, with initial matrix messages: 'Attention Stalybridge!' & 'Linder found a cobra' suggested before the Whiteside ones were used.
The pre-Maudlin lyrics possibly for the back (inner) cover?

P065.jpg

(Well remembered),
Regards,
FWD.

Yes, with initial matrix messages: 'Attention Stalybridge!' & 'Linder found a cobra' suggested before the Whiteside ones were used.
The pre-Maudlin lyrics possibly for the back (inner) cover?

View attachment 51899

(Well remembered),
Regards,
FWD.

:thumb:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘picture beside my bed’ lines were in his notes when he was writing the song ‘Last Night I Dreamt’, but they just didn’t fit.

I’ve always wanted to know what ‘Linder found a cobra’ was about, any clue ?

:thumb:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘picture beside my bed’ lines were in his notes when he was writing the song ‘Last Night I Dreamt’, but they just didn’t fit.

I’ve always wanted to know what ‘Linder found a cobra’ was about, any clue ?
A pun (Mozipedia):

"In October 1985, while making THE QUEEN IS DEAD, Morrissey obligingly wrote a sleeve note for a proposed (but unreleased) Ludus retrospective on the Belgian Crepuscule label. ‘People who know real genius will love this record,’ he declared, though more intriguing are two phrases which he’d later adapt into his lyrics: ‘… our hearts damaged by too many air-raids’ (‘I’VE CHANGED MY PLEA TO GUILTY’) and ‘… oh Linder. I will see you sometime, somewhere’ (‘I WON’T SHARE YOU’). Two years later, Morrissey considered the ‘GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA’ pun ‘Linda found a cobra’ as the run-out-groove message on the final Smiths single, but resisted."

Regards,
FWD.

A pun (Mozipedia):

"In October 1985, while making THE QUEEN IS DEAD, Morrissey obligingly wrote a sleeve note for a proposed (but unreleased) Ludus retrospective on the Belgian Crepuscule label. ‘People who know real genius will love this record,’ he declared, though more intriguing are two phrases which he’d later adapt into his lyrics: ‘… our hearts damaged by too many air-raids’ (‘I’VE CHANGED MY PLEA TO GUILTY’) and ‘… oh Linder. I will see you sometime, somewhere’ (‘I WON’T SHARE YOU’). Two years later, Morrissey considered the ‘GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA’ pun ‘Linda found a cobra’ as the run-out-groove message on the final Smiths single, but resisted."

Regards,
FWD.

:lbf: perfect!

Though is it just a pun, or does it really mean something? Is ‘Girlfriend In A Coma’ about Linder? And who or what is this ‘Cobra’ ? maybe better not to overthink it.

Thanks again. I never picked up Mozipedia, maybe I should.

Back
Top Bottom