Did Morrissey write the poem in I Thought You Were Dead?

T. H. Auden

I think so? Very beautiful!
"Sea breeze and blue sky
To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In her eyes"
Something like that?

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of it as a poem before but you're right, it's lovely! Such a great song, and so sad to have been left off of Low in High School. One of Jesse Tobias' best co-writes?

"Sea breeze and blue sky
To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In her eyes"
Something like that?
dont think it has ever been mentioned on here,would be good if he did.

This song and poem is new to me, so thanks. I thought you were dead; a sentiment that could seem harsh, but we get it, after doing the set minimum emotional labour! Maybe even have thought it, or been told it : o

I wondered if it came from conversation or a flight of thoughts, but again Dave Fanning teases out how Morrissey creates songs, with which Morrissey more or less agrees:

DF: A lot of your songs would be like…a conversation with yourself that you may never have had in the past....
In a generalised way about your own writing and the songs that you write, you kind of get the intensity of a feeling, but at the same time, you convey this kind of… irony within that intensity of a feeling, if you like.

M: It IS the way it is, and it’s just really having the nerve or the guts to laugh at your own situation or your own shortcomings, or admitting at least, that they’re there.

This poem written by a Native American in 1901, that I came across a few days ago, also muses on death and the risks of undervaluing people and life around us - https://poets.org/poem/truth-mortal?mc_cid=87d98ee730&mc_eid=fd068c9d7e

This song and poem is new to me, so thanks. I thought you were dead; a sentiment that could seem harsh, but we get it, after doing the set minimum emotional labour! Maybe even have thought it, or been told it : o

I wondered if it came from conversation or a flight of thoughts,
"So we made the album, but I started with the band. It was probably later that first night of work before I finally met Morrissey. I arrived and he said to me, ‘Oh, Visconti, I thought you were dead.’ That was the way he greeted me."

As pointed out by FWD in this thread

Though I don’t believe the song is about Tony.
but again Dave Fanning teases out how Morrissey creates songs, with which Morrissey more or less agrees:

DF: A lot of your songs would be like…a conversation with yourself that you may never have had in the past....
In a generalised way about your own writing and the songs that you write, you kind of get the intensity of a feeling, but at the same time, you convey this kind of… irony within that intensity of a feeling, if you like.

M: It IS the way it is, and it’s just really having the nerve or the guts to laugh at your own situation or your own shortcomings, or admitting at least, that they’re there.

This poem written by a Native American in 1901, that I came across a few days ago, also muses on death and the risks of undervaluing people and life around us - https://poets.org/poem/truth-mortal?mc_cid=87d98ee730&mc_eid=fd068c9d7e

My friend had no time for Jesse until this came out. Then he said "Ok , I like him now" , he loves the song he thinks its M's best song for years.
I have to say, I agree. It's brilliant.
Not sure why that line is called out as The poem and not just Part of the poem.
Most of M's songs can pass as poems
Although he isn't as sharp as he used to be, generally, sometimes he will grab at former glory and he does with this song this line is brilliant
"Freedom now, never gloom, happiness all afternoon
Can't you get this in your thick head?"

If you love someone, it can be painful. They have power. I think the song , is kinda about the relief one can get being away from that intense feeling for a while. Then they come back and you are mixed up again. Thats how the song feels or it could just be about being away form someone you hate. LOL

Last edited:
My friend had no time for Jesse until this came out. Then he said "Ok , I like him now" , he loves the song he thinks its M's best song for years.
Although he isn't as sharp as he used to be, generally, sometimes he will grab at former glory and he does with this song this line is brilliant

If you love someone, it can be painful. They have power. I think the song , is kinda about the relief one can get being away from that intense feeling for a while. Then they come back and you are mixed up again. Thats how the song feels or it could just be about being away form someone you hate. LOL
Yes, of course, I just said poem because poems in my language are read in a spoken voice

"So we made the album, but I started with the band. It was probably later that first night of work before I finally met Morrissey. I arrived and he said to me, ‘Oh, Visconti, I thought you were dead.’ That was the way he greeted me."

As pointed out by FWD in this thread

Though I don’t believe the song is about Tony.
Thanks Ketamine Sun.

In the 2019 interview on M-Central, there's this as well:
Sam: Finally, any small regrets?
M: Oh, I never make my regrets small … if I can help it. Oh. Umm. Robert Smith. I said some terrible things about him 35 years ago … but I didn’t mean them … I was just being very Grange Hill. It’s great when you can blame everything on Tourette’s syndrome. [laughs] -
https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/234417-the-interview

I think he went even further with poor Russell Brand?!

"Sea breeze and blue sky
To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In her eyes"
Something like that?
This is what I always heard. Still can’t make it all out

Were it so, were it not so
One me and one you
Sea green and sky blue
To have had something
Taken to the ??
No wonder it’s ??
???

I agree 100% with you and your friend

One me and one you
Sea green and sky blue

To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In her eyes

One me and one you
Sea green and sky blue

To have had something
That you didn't prize
No wonder there's tears
In her eyes
Thank you!!! Man I’ve bean wondering what this says forever !
One of me favorite Moz songs

Given the release information changes and mess of the RSD 7", when seeing Lover-To-Be credited with "Additional Voice - Damiano Mazzarella", I'd suspect it was probably for I Thought You Were Dead &/or both tracks.
(I don't recall a second voice on L-T-B?).
FWD.

Add:
He's credited with being the "announcer" in Brow Of My Beloved too.

Last edited:
Given the release information changes and mess of the RSD 7", when seeing Lover-To-Be credited with "Additional Voice - Damiano Mazzarella", I'd suspect it was probably for I Thought You Were Dead &/or both tracks.
(I don't recall a second voice on L-T-B?).
FWD.

Add:
He's credited with being the "announcer" in Brow Of My Beloved too.
He was probably the announcer saying "Questa canzone a lover-to-be". I thought it was Jesse's voice for the poem in I Thought You Were Dead.

Thanks for the reminder.
The credits during this 'boozy' time period probably reflect the recording sessions if the pictures at the time were right.
I initially got information re: Damiano via his IG and he mentioned several things, but his IG appears gone - will have a better search when some free time surfaces.
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom