Der Spiegel audio file of Morrissey interview released

Here you go. The recording of the interview.

Der Audiomitschnitt zum SPIEGEL-Interview mit Morrissey - Spiegel Online
Sänger Morrissey fühlt sich nach einem Interview mit dem SPIEGEL falsch zitiert und will nun nie wieder mit Printmedien sprechen. Hören Sie hier den Mitschnitt des Interviews.

English version:

The Audio of DER SPIEGEL's Interview with Morrissey
British pop singer Morrissey has accused DER SPIEGEL of falsely quoting him in a recently published interview. The magazine stands behind its reporting and has made the decision to post the audio online in response.

On Friday, Nov. 10, DER SPIEGEL culture reporter Juliane Liebert told her editors that she had been offered an interview with British popstar Morrissey and that a decision needed to be made quickly on whether to accept. We agreed: The former lead singer of The Smiths doesn't shy away from speaking his mind - and he also doesn't grant interviews very often.

The following Monday, Liebert flew to Los Angeles, where she was to interview Morrissey on Tuesday. The interview appointment got delayed several times before finally taking place on Wednesday and lasting 40 minutes. Edited versions of interviews published in DER SPIEGEL are usually authorized by the interview subject before publication, consistent with established procedure in German journalism. But in this instance, Morrissey's team elected to forego authorization.

After its publication on Nov. 18 in DER SPIEGEL, the interview (available behind the SPIEGEL Plus paywall in German) generated headlines not only in the German-language media. English publications like the Independent also wrote about Morrissey's statements regarding Trump, Brexit, the #MeToo debate and questions of national identity.

The musician then sought to distance himself from the published interview. "Unless you see the words form in my mouth and then you see or hear the words come out of my mouth... please, if you don't see that, I didn't say them," he told fans at a concert. He said he would never grant an interview to a print journalist again.

On Monday, Morrissey followed up with a post on his official Facebook page casting doubt on whether his statements had been reflected accurately by DER SPIEGEL. He also alleged that the fact that the magazine had not yet posted the raw audio of the interview was tantamount to an indirect admission of guilt.

To counter that claim, the editors of DER SPIEGEL have decided to post the audio of the interview online.

You can listen to the interview conducted with Morrissey in Los Angeles on Nov. 15 here:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Interview mp3 - yours to keep:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx1c0j
(the exact file as used on the site).

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes:

The best example of all is perhaps Bob Dylan. He is an intensely private man. He played the media game in the early days but gave it up long ago.

Back to Morrissey. Firstly, I don’t think he is all that bright. Really clever people don’t get themselves in the sort of media storms that regularly engulf him. He’s brilliant at what he does but he is a cultural magpie. That isn’t intended as a slight, by the way.

We bandy about the word genius far too often in this world. I’m reminded of the Orson Welles quote when asked if he was a genius: “What does that even mean? There have probably only been three real geniuses this [20th] century; Picasso, Einstein and some guy in China nobody has ever heard of.”

Morrissey absorbs influences from elsewhere and (in the nicest sense of the word, not that there is one) regurgitates it into something else. Those early Smiths releases, from the music to the packaging screamed kitchen sink drama and that Cathy Come Home gritty realism that emerged in 60s Britain. It was interesting listening to the Set The Boy Free audiobook recently to hear how both Morrissey and Marr knew exactly what they intended to do down to the colour of the label and even the colour of the font of that label they wanted for the first single. In the introduction to The South Bank Show Smiths programme Melvyn Bragg tells older viewers they might find the Smiths influences “surprisingly comforting.” That’s essentially a nice way of saying it’s been done before.

Returning to the Spacey issue, although Morrissey in typical fashion jumped in with both feet there is a grain of truth in what he says, and perhaps that is the core of the outrage. When, in my youth, I would on occasion go back to a young lady’s home late at night I wasn’t there to play Scrabble. I had a more... Twister... type game on my mind.

Leaving aside the youth of one of the alleged victims, which is inexcusable if it happened, adults do still, even now, have a smidgen of responsibility for their own actions. I guarantee anyone reading this could identify a part of their town or city they would not wish to find themselves at two in the morning. As my town becomes less like Hobbiton by the week, I wouldn’t walk through the park late at night. I learnt recently that heroin could be bought actually on my road, behind the church, which means I would have to walk further to buy milk. That’s pretty extraordinary in a once quiet town to the west of London.

If Morrissey was inelegantly trying to explain the dangers of leaping to conclusions based on allegations rather than proof, then he was right. If he chose to tackle that incredibly nuanced view to someone who doesn’t speak English as a first language then he is a blithering idiot. Yesterday a Kentucky representative killed himself after allegations were levelled against him. A few weeks ago a member of the Welsh Assembly committed suicide under similar circumstances.

As we tumble forward into the twenty-first century we seem also to be looking back, not as Morrissey and Marr did to the 1960s, but to the 1660s. Driven by third wave feminism there is a whiff of a new Puritanism and witchhunt in the air. “[Much, much] older viewerf may find it furprifingly comforting.”

The careers of both Spacey and Weinstein are over. Good. However, until they are put before a judge and jury and found guilty they are innocent. That isn’t controversial, however much some here might not like to hear it. It’s a cast iron, cold fact.

interesting post, though I don't agree with ...

'In the introduction to The South Bank Show Smiths programme Melvyn Bragg tells older viewers they might find the Smiths influences “surprisingly comforting.” That’s essentially a nice way of saying it’s been done before.'

Everyone has influences, meaning.. understanding and recreating what others have discovered before them, and hopefully with that information they will bring something new to the table.

Morrissey with the Smith's artwork as example did that.

I think M. Bragg is saying that older viewers will find comfort in finding pleasure in the familiar that is presented to them with a twist, and not that they will find comfort in being bored because they've already seen it all before, and what they're about to see is not worth seeing.

Harvey Weinstein didn’t invent the casting couch, even if he exploited it ruthlessly and I can’t be the only person to have watched a [insert name of a famous actress you dislike here] movie and wondered to myself just how the hell she got there, can I? There are more than few Oscar winning actresses whose success has seemed quite mysterious. I’m talking to you, Gloria Swanson, you old slag. [Checks Wikipedia to make sure she’s definitely dead and not hanging on at 118.]

"Sunset Boulevard" is one of the greatest noir films of all time, and the single greatest film that Hollywood has ever made about itself. Gloria Swanson's performance as Norma Desmond may well be the greatest camp performance ever committed to celluloid.

Swanson took what was originally intended to be a comedic role and infused it with a tragic vulnerability in a performance so eviscerating and iconic that it still sets the bar for a depiction of the ruinous effects of fame. Her cinematic success could not be less mysterious.

Speaking of operatic tragedies: Morrissey is very much in danger of becoming another Norma Desmond, lurching around in the shadow of past glories, aging into a terrible parody of his youthful self.

Jesus Christ! The proof!
We knew he said these things all along, though. Just like he said those things to the NME. And I'm not a racist (I know, racists always say that) and I have helped immigrants become US citizens as a literacy volunteer. But the things he said about people from other countries, I am ashamed to say, didn't really affect me. Because his songs and his words meant a lot to me I was able to sort out his opinions and think, well he's a bigot but he knows how to write/steal a good lyric and melody so I'll just ignore what I don't like.
But people I care about are victims of molestation and rape and his words are too ignorant and harmful, too personally relevant to me. When the message is put out that maybe a woman is claiming rape because she didn't benefit from it, or that a kid who is molested or raped should have known better, that harms people who have already been harmed.
People struggle to tell what happened to them. They blame themselves. They wonder what they did that caused the molester/rapist to choose them. Many times they don't see what really happened or don't gain the ability to speak of it for many years and then people say "Why did they wait so long? What are they hiding?" or on this asshole's case "They're bitter because they didn't get what they wanted," or "Where were the parents?"
I like how the mozbots went from "well, he's just saying there are other things to consider" to "Aha! He didn't say those things at all!" At least be consistent. I'm sure that, 39 pages into this, we're back to justifying what he said, since, even a mozbot can hear he said these things.
That's great. I hope you are all safe and that your children, your little brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and everyone you care about never gets molested or raped. But statistics say you probably know at least a few victims/survivors, and some of them might be trying to find the courage to speak about it while you defend this idiot.

Very bad quality sound. I had to put headphone on and volume to the maximum. About the interview itself. Well, aren't we all free to have our own opinion about things. Sorry Spiegel, but I still like Morrissey. You didn't succeed in your attempt. No with me!

Some moron voted this "insightful."

Sure, you can have your own opinion. I seriously doubt if anyone anywhere is trying to sway your opinion. You think that when Morrissey says stupid things and then attacks the people who had the tapes of him saying these things that it's some kind of conspiracy?

And that passes for "insight" with some Mozbot. Morrissey wishes there was a God so he could thank Him for making enough stupid people to keep him living in luxury.

Boring interview with someone that has nothing new to say, just the same old/same old + cliché false brexit arguments & seemingly alarming forgiveness towards sexual allegations.

for such a 'boring interview' this thread sure gets a lot of attention.

Very bad quality sound. I had to put headphone on and volume to the maximum. About the interview itself. Well, aren't we all free to have our own opinion about things. Sorry Spiegel, but I still like Morrissey. You didn't succeed in your attempt. No with me!

INSIGHTFUL POST !!!! :rock::rock::rock:

Hope Morrissey does another interview soon. He's the only famous person out there with any genuine interest in what's happening in the world, and not frightened to air an opinion. It's incredibly refreshing. I found his concern about what is happening in Germany to be touchingly compassionate.

Hope Morrissey does another interview soon. He's the only famous person out there with any genuine interest in what's happening in the world, and not frightened to air an opinion. It's incredibly refreshing. I found his concern about what is happening in Germany to be touchingly compassionate.

He won't do a face-to-face interview. Not a f***ing chance. He's a loose cannon. He can't help his own mouth.

And if you think his comments about what happens in Germany are compassionate, you are:

a) A blinkered bot beyond help
b) Lying to yourself
c) Defending the indefensible at all costs, no matter what, repeatedly.

As you cannot help but display, you have no critical thinking at all, and your only thought is "If I post this, will Morrissey love me more?"

Wanker.

Let's just gaze in awe at this fragment, gained, as it was, from a stinking wankpit in North London, from someone who is a stranger to sunlight, and whose waking thoughts do not extend beyond the mono. If I were Morrissey, I'd be hiring more bodyguards.

Have you got a psychiatric problem pal? Compassion is obviously a strange concept to you.

No it isn't, you mono-focused f***knuckle. You are one of the most blinkered, focused freaks it has ever been my displeasure to encounter on this site.

You know nothing about me. You know nothing about what I have done or who I have helped. Nothing.

My compassion has limits.

If I ever have the displeasure of meeting you in person, it will be my delight to push you down a North London manhole, and laugh as you tumble.

I don't have any psychiatric problems.

Pal.

Except with blind, unthinking, unintelligent, brainless, bunts like you, typing horseshit on a second-hand Argos computer they are unsatisfied with.

And now I know you've read this, you're going on ignore, so your brainless horse mess fails to pollute my house. I would wish you all the best, but, honestly, I wouldn't mean a word of it.

Last edited:
No it isn't, you mono-focused f***knuckle. You are one of the most blinkered, focused freaks it has ever been my displeasure to encounter on this site.

You know nothing about me. You know nothing about what I have done or who I have helped. Nothing.

My compassion has limits.

If I ever have the displeasure of meeting you in person, it will be my delight to push you down a North London manhole, and laugh as you tumble.

I don't have any psychiatric problems.

Pal.

Except with blind, unthinking, unintelligent, brainless, bunts like you, typing horseshit on a second-hand Argos computer they are unsatisfied with.

And now I know you've read this, you're going on ignore, so your brainless horse mess fails to pollute my house. I would wish you all the best, but, honestly, I wouldn't mean a word of it.
Excellent little Python reference I noticed.

I am quite focused, yes. Also, my computer was bought brand new and not from Argos. And believe me you do have psychiatric problems - why else would somebody so anti-Morrissey spend their every waking moment on a Morrissey site. Don't you ever ask yourself this? Take my advice, go elsewhere and tap away your inner furies at Donald Trump like every other self-respecting troll.
ps It's rainy here in East London.

Last edited:
I am quite focused, yes. Also, my computer was bought brand new and not from Argos. And believe me you do have pychiatric problems - why else would somebody so anti-Morrissey spend their every waking moment on a Morrissey site. Don't you ever ask yourself this? Take my advice, go elsewhere and tap away your inner furies at Donald Trump like every other self-respecting troll.
ps It's rainy here in East London.
Also, to check you've really 'ignored' me (like I care anyway) I'll say some inflammatory things later to see if they hit one of your delicate nerves. In the meantime, don't forget to keep taking the medication.

Also, to check you've really 'ignored' me (like I care anyway) I'll say some inflammatory things later to see if they hit one of your delicate nerves. In the meantime, don't forget to keep taking the medication.
Seven minutes of your life has gone by... and no reply. So I guess you really have 'ignored' me then. But that's the cowardly way - attack and run. Me, I like to stick around.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom