Der Spiegel audio file of Morrissey interview released

Here you go. The recording of the interview.

Der Audiomitschnitt zum SPIEGEL-Interview mit Morrissey - Spiegel Online
Sänger Morrissey fühlt sich nach einem Interview mit dem SPIEGEL falsch zitiert und will nun nie wieder mit Printmedien sprechen. Hören Sie hier den Mitschnitt des Interviews.

English version:

The Audio of DER SPIEGEL's Interview with Morrissey
British pop singer Morrissey has accused DER SPIEGEL of falsely quoting him in a recently published interview. The magazine stands behind its reporting and has made the decision to post the audio online in response.

On Friday, Nov. 10, DER SPIEGEL culture reporter Juliane Liebert told her editors that she had been offered an interview with British popstar Morrissey and that a decision needed to be made quickly on whether to accept. We agreed: The former lead singer of The Smiths doesn't shy away from speaking his mind - and he also doesn't grant interviews very often.

The following Monday, Liebert flew to Los Angeles, where she was to interview Morrissey on Tuesday. The interview appointment got delayed several times before finally taking place on Wednesday and lasting 40 minutes. Edited versions of interviews published in DER SPIEGEL are usually authorized by the interview subject before publication, consistent with established procedure in German journalism. But in this instance, Morrissey's team elected to forego authorization.

After its publication on Nov. 18 in DER SPIEGEL, the interview (available behind the SPIEGEL Plus paywall in German) generated headlines not only in the German-language media. English publications like the Independent also wrote about Morrissey's statements regarding Trump, Brexit, the #MeToo debate and questions of national identity.

The musician then sought to distance himself from the published interview. "Unless you see the words form in my mouth and then you see or hear the words come out of my mouth... please, if you don't see that, I didn't say them," he told fans at a concert. He said he would never grant an interview to a print journalist again.

On Monday, Morrissey followed up with a post on his official Facebook page casting doubt on whether his statements had been reflected accurately by DER SPIEGEL. He also alleged that the fact that the magazine had not yet posted the raw audio of the interview was tantamount to an indirect admission of guilt.

To counter that claim, the editors of DER SPIEGEL have decided to post the audio of the interview online.

You can listen to the interview conducted with Morrissey in Los Angeles on Nov. 15 here:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Interview mp3 - yours to keep:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx1c0j
(the exact file as used on the site).

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on this site before you and I will be on this site long after you, and no it’s not a drug, if anything I get a kick seeing you piss ants in an uproar.

Out of interest, how do you know you will be on this site long after Pokey has left. You may get run over next week by a double decker bus or even a 10 ton truck.

If you manage not to get run over, the odds of you outlasting Pokey on this site are also stacked against you as you appear to be 58 and Pokey appears to be 32 and therefore you perhaps have another 22 years ahead of you and Pokey has 48. That’s. Assuming the site. Lasts that long of course.

Last edited:
i agree. i dont think there's anything he said he should be distancing himself from. his comments, particularly about countries maintaining their own identity are perfectly sane and people need to be having this discussion now, rather than poking their heads in the sand. do we want halal everywhere in the world? because that's what we're getting via 'multiculturalism'. animals need to be protected from religion too.

what isn't sane is living in some kind of world where he probably believes everyone is out to get him. he probably believed he didn't say what was quoted... or believes like trump he can just lie his way out of anything because he's famous. i wonder how both of them react when faced with reality? would morrissey listen to the recording and it suddenly dawn on him his view of the world is off? or just more delusion? i guess he lives in a borderline mentally ill bubble like trump... and that explains the musical decline too

"And all those lies - written lies, twisted lies....well, they weren't lies, they weren't lies, they weren't lies...."

Personally I don't have any real problems with what Morrissey said in the interview. I don't agree with everything he said, but opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one, and it would be boring as hell if everyone agreed. Expecting your musical heroes to share your political views 100% , or you burn your record collection and never listen to them again, is very childish.

What I find more offensive is the fact that he blatantly lied about what he said, and effectively tried to ruin a journalists career by claiming they made stuff up. Changing your story in the face of a public backlash is a far cry from all that "Morrissey cannot and will not be silenced" guff. Bullshitting in public and getting caught out is extremely embarrassing. At least man up, and have the courage to stick with your views - even if they are very un-politically correct.

Unless you saw him type out that Facebook post, he didn’t type it

you've got to laugh

I’m just pleased the audiomitschnitt is out in the open.

I'm not sure, but i do know that she got quite ill a few years back, and her health deteriorated. That and she was quite busy with her job in Los Angeles. But I don't know if anyone really know the entire story.
She looked away when I glanced at her on an escalator in Dublin (just before the World Peace concert) and I think i accidentally put a hex on her. The squalor of the mind!

As a German I find it very, very strange that she spent two days waiting for the interview and was then so badly prepared. I expected journalists who work for magazines like the Spiegel to be more professional. However, I increasingly find that most people moving around in the public sphere only repeat what they heard elsewhere and many articles in newspapers are badly written, which has often been complained by others as well, because so many of them are opinion pieces without being labled as such. During the past three months I had free access to the whole FAZ in digital form and found those articles however very well written. Maybe it is just a problem with their online publications, I don't buy newspapers apart from the local one that isn't online. And I called the local newspaper earlier this year when they gave wrong information on these Trump inauguration pictures to which I was told that they took it from DPA, like most of their articles. Well...

That whole "German Empire" thing is utter nonsense. It is laughable that Morrissey claims that whenever the UK wants to do something it has to ask Germany. Hello? It was the UK thanks to which the EU has had no proper outer borders and no defence coalition so far outside Nato. It was the UK that continuously dropped out of many regulations and boiled its own soup to gain advantages over others. The EU isn't ruled by Germany, it is in the grips of the World Economic Forum which again is dominated by the USA and the UK with its very badly thought out country competitor indicators that are not for the common benefit but for the superrich who meet up at Davos every year. I have seen some seriously outrageous claims made in British newspapers that I find at best mischieviously misleading and since most people read English and don't know German, the people who are behind this misinformation are incredibly successful.

I’m surprised you have the cheek to attack the British press when you have the FAZ.

You seem to be suggesting that the most populous nation in Western Europe with the most successful economy is no more dominant than fellow EU states such as Malta or Luxembourg. That might be the fantasy, but it isn’t the fact. I was reading in the FT last month, which is a fiercely pro-EU newspaper, that no non-German company has ever won a contract to supply to the European Union. Twenty-eight countries, with tens of thousands of companies competing for hundreds of contracts, but German industry has a 100% success rate. If only companies from Texas ever won federal contracts in the USA questions might be asked.

Just a few weeks ago Manfred Weber, one of the leading lights of the EPP, the same political European Parliament grouping led by Juncker and Barnier, called for the sacking of the British Foreign Minister. Doesn’t that strike you as a little beyond his pay grade?

Furthermore, Merkel, who unilaterally invited migrants across the territory of other European nations to reach Germany, then demanded those nations accepted migrants she then decided were getting too politically difficult for her at home. When they refused the Commission threatened legal action to force those countries to comply with the instructions of the German Chancellor.

It doesn’t sound like Germany considers itself an equal partner to me.

(On a side note I would like to add this interview doesn't particularly abdicate the journalist either. It could be the symptom of wanting to encourage controversial copy from Morrissey, but she can be heard laughing and agreeing with almost everything he says on these topics, she's hardly giving him the Frost/Nixon treatment for somebody who went on to claim to abhor the views too...)

Where has she claimed that she abhors Morrissey's views? It was a straight Q & A interview. It's only natural for the journalist to try to create rapport by not criticizing views that (s)he might find objectionable. You can't get people to speak their mind if you instantly jump on their heads the second they say something you don't agree with. The word "entrapment" doesn't really exist in journalism.

What I what I find really laughable/bizzare about this entire situation is that it all could have been easily avoided. Yeah the interview came out and he said a lot of shitty things, but if he had just left it there it would have blown over. Yeah, he still would have lost some fans as there it was the last straw for some people, and he made headlines for all of the wrong reasons again, but still, (some) people forget.

Instead he decides to go onstage in America and make this rant about not saying these things, and people lap it up. Then the even weirder Facebook post just to make sure EVERYONE know that he isn’t lying! I seriously wonder what is going on in his head sometimes? I also actually worry about his mental state of mind, because I am afraid that he may actually be a bit delusional. I actually wonder if he really believes that he didn’t make those statements? Did he really think Der Spiegel wouldn’t call his bluff? Perhaps he is so used to getting what he wants and everyone around him saying yes, he actually thought that they would back down? It’s all such a let down really, he said what he said, and whether you agreed with him or not is a different story. But why the need to flat out lie about it to everyone? Something is certainly not right with him right now, and that’s besides his questionable views on immigration, sex abuse, Islam, etc. This is all very depressing more than anything else.

2 things:

Morrissey claimed that he is suspicious of people who makes accusations of rape, because he thinks they later come to regret something consensual... which is exactly what happened with him and the Der Spiegel tape!

Second, his idiotic "rape capital" bigotry could be rebutted with his own logic - "maybe people are reporting rapes after they feel disappointed and regretful after sleeping with an immigrant?".

Can I just say, this entire thing is laugh out loud hilarious. Release the tape, release the tape! Oops. Shit. Damn. :lbf:

Oh well at least Moz can console himself that Low In High School is riding high at.....

*checks*

Um....No. 69. :lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf:

So at first Ketamine Sun defends Morrissey's comments. Then she backs Morrissey up when he claims he was misquoted. Now she feigns indifference it to it all with her capital letters, coloured fonts, smileys and empty spaces in her posts. What a pitiable blinkered pathetic dimwit she is.

:love::love::love::p

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom