Def Leppard - We don't get as much respect as Morrissey

LOLZ! Hearing about this just made my day!!!

Seriously?

I think the more pressing question is how is Def Leppard selling more records than Morrissey.

And good lord. They had to go after Johnny as well. I cannot think of anything notable or even slightly original that Def Leppard has done for guitar...

I think if Johnny Marr and the drummer of Def Leppard were walking down the street, JMarr would be less recognized. I mean really. What the are they even talking about?

I guess they'll have to console themselves with their record sales.

On Through The Night: 1 million
High 'N' Dry: 2 million
Pyromania: 10 million
Hysteria: 16 million
Adrenalize: 7 million
Retro Active: 1.7 million
Vault - Greatest Hits: 6 million
Slang: 2 million
Euphoria: 1.2 million

Meanwhile..."Cumulatively The Smiths have sold 2,598,266 albums in the SoundScan era and Morrissey has sold 2,350,983."

Maybe Joe should try shoving some flowers in his pants and prancing around singing about the one that got away. ;) and maybe Morrissey should hire producer Mutt Lange. haha

or they can learn how to play like these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQmmM_qwG4k

never heard them being whiney .... :guitar:

:thumb: Or they aren't very whiney in this one either.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCyXcL-XMOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hCyXcL-XMOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

People make fun of Led Zeppelin, too. Def Leppard seems like a bunch of regular guys who somehow sold massive amounts of records. It's interesting that they do have some of the same influences as Morrissey, in glam rock. Def Leppard kind of carried on for The Sweet, in a way.

I'm playing devil's advocate above because I think it's funny to see people react to what Joe Elliott says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Elliot's sour grapes/crush on Morrissey has been going on years. i can remember him once saying the "killed a policeman" lyric from "I Want The One.." was beyond contempt.
Cocksucker

I think it's hilarious that Joe Elliott and Bret Michaels have an ongoing "feud," after Elliott accused Poison of being shallow.

:rolleyes:

Elliott can take comfort in the fact that Def Leppard is so popular that they got to lip-synch on "Dancing with the Stars." Everyone knows that Morrissey will never be invited, and if invited, he would never "perform."

:lbf:

What's got nine arms and sucks?

Def Leppard.

It's funny because his life was nearly ruined.

One of the guys from TMBG said, "I'd give my right arm to be the drummer for Def Leppard"

On a serious note, back in the 80s Def Leppard was given massive amounts of magazine covers and press and MTV air time.

Their style of rock lost its media appeal when grunge hit. I used to really like them. I saw them in concert back in 88. I haven't heard any of their songs since then so I don't know if they are any good or not but I have a feeling I would not think much of them.

Have DL considered why Morrissey's number of covers/amount of coverage is disproportionate to his sales? It's because he's a legend.

I liked the album Hysteria; terrific energy whatever else. :blushing: :guitar:

[youtube]YI6Ms0b4q-4&feature=related[/youtube]

One of the guys from TMBG said, "I'd give my right arm to be the drummer for Def Leppard"

On a serious note, back in the 80s Def Leppard was given massive amounts of magazine covers and press and MTV air time.

Their style of rock lost its media appeal when grunge hit. I used to really like them. I saw them in concert back in 88. I haven't heard any of their songs since then so I don't know if they are any good or not but I have a feeling I would not think much of them.

They played Sweden Rock few years back. Heard it was OK. I think DL was a really good band. To me it's simply a classic classic rock band. Nothing like driving really fast, listening to Photograph, etc.
Obviously the young hipsters of today slag them of. Rock music like that just isn't the thing right now:)
Real working class band, that started out with nothing. Much like the Smiths.

They played Sweden Rock few years back. Heard it was OK. I think DL was a really good band. To me it's simply a classic classic rock band. Nothing like driving really fast, listening to Photograph, etc.
Obviously the young hipsters of today slag them of. Rock music like that just isn't the thing right now:)
Real working class band, that started out with nothing. Much like the Smiths.

Well, I don't know. For my part I always thought they were complete and obvious shite, and I was born in 1969. So does pretty much everyone I know, which doesn't include any young hipsters (but plenty of middle-aged metalheads. Saxon? Yes. Def Leppard? Yuck.)

cheers

Well, I don't know. For my part I always thought they were complete and obvious shite, and I was born in 1969. So does pretty much everyone I know, which doesn't include any young hipsters (but plenty of middle-aged metalheads. Saxon? Yes. Def Leppard? Yuck.)

cheers

Saxon, DF - I can have both. No need to choose!

Saxon, DF - I can have both. No need to choose!

Sure you can. My point is that you don't have to be a young hipster to think Def Leppard sucks. The sentiment is held even by 40-year olds who enjoy what some of us would consider embarrassing comic book metal. And I don't recall them getting much critical acclaim back in the 80s either.

So, in conclusion, you're not a fossil, you just have bad taste.

Wait, did I just write that?

;)

cheers

Quote...

"Rock’s ploughed its own furrow for 30 years but still music magazines don’t give rock its due and still rave on about Nick Drake. How many more front covers do Paul McCartney and Morrissey need? Our album will sell more than Morrissey’s so why don’t we get the same kind of respect?"
:eek:Is this a joke?!Hahaha!!!

Back
Top Bottom