Decent Morrissey / Smiths covers.

S

Someone Somewhere

Besides the Sandie Shaw versions, I haven't heard any that I like. Can you recommend a few to look out for?

> Besides the Sandie Shaw versions, I haven't heard any that I like. Can you
> recommend a few to look out for?

I enjoy Pete Yorn's cover of Panic.

> Besides the Sandie Shaw versions, I haven't heard any that I like. Can you
> recommend a few to look out for?

I liked these:

Schneider TM "The Light 3000" (cover of TIALTNGO)
Billy Bragg "Jeane"
The Frank & Walters "Cemetry Gates"
Dream Academy "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"

the tree people have done a cover of "bigmouth strikes again" which i kinda like. also, mikel erextum, a latin pop star, did a spanish cover of "there is a light that never goes out." which is really beautiful (although nowhere near as gorgeous as the original, naturally).

also, while it's not exactly a cover, a german friend turned me onto a song which namechecks the smiths called "sumisu" by farin urlaub, the lead singer of die arzte. it's about growing up a depressed teenager in the eighties and listening to "the smiths, sometimes the cure or new order, but usually the smiths." it's in german, which i don't speak, but i can still make out that bit! the riff is awesome -- borrowed from "what difference does it make?"

If you like industrial music, The Armageddon Dildos do a really cool cover of 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. I also love the punk tribute album 'The World Still Won't Listen'. Highlights on that album would be Lament singing 'Back To the Old House' and H20 doing a cover of 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now', which includes some funny lyric changes.
If you don't like punk / industrial music then forget everything I just said.

The Jeff Buckley "I know it's Over" is pretty passable.
Placebo do a creditable version of "Bigmouth"
Carter USM do a good, although fairly predictable version of "Panic"
I think the ultimate 'though is Billy Bragg's "Jeanne" which is in some respects an improvement on the original.

Back
Top Bottom