Death At One's Elbow - Is it really Glen?

herzeleid

Listening to the remasters I am convinced that he sings either 'Den' or 'then' as opposed to Glen.

Someone please confirm or deny this woefully trivial matter. And don't just quote the lyric sheet. As it is littered with inaccuracies.

Re: Death At One's Elbow - Is it really Glen???

wow I used to use the username 'herzeleid' years ago on different forums (perhaps even here years ago too) so this was weird, it was like reading a post I thought I'd made but couldn't ever remember it.

That being said, I'm pretty sure it's Glen, Den or Then don't really even make any sense. Plus, well, all I can here is Glen ... I think someone here not long ago posted that it was most likely to do with a Glen that had an association of some kind to James Dean? I'm sure Kewpie will be incoming with a link to that thread in 3...2....1

... I think someone here not long ago posted that it was most likely to do with a Glen that had an association of some kind to James Dean? I'm sure Kewpie will be incoming with a link to that thread in 3...2....1

She's in the loo and can't be arsed, I'm afraid.

In the meantime, I assure you it's Glenn. In the old days, our music came with little booklets that oftentimes had lyric sheets. That one says Glenn.

Listening to the remasters I am convinced that he sings either 'Den' or 'then' as opposed to Glen.

Someone please confirm or deny this woefully trivial matter. And don't just quote the lyric sheet. As it is littered with inaccuracies.

It doesn't make sense for that word to be anything but a proper name, does it? That limits the possibilities to:

* Glen
* Ben
* Jen
* Pen(elope)
* Wen (hey, the subject could be Chinese, right?)
* Ren (ditto)

Of these, it sounds most like "Glen."

Den is short for Den(n)is, so it is a name. And was well known in the eighties due to future keyboard warrior Leslie Grantham.

The 4th time he sings it might just be Glen, but the first three don't sound like it at all. Maybe the slap back echo is stealing the 'l'.

He's definitely not singing a double 'nn'.

One for the Hedberg fanciers....

He's definitely not singing a double 'nn'.

stop+the+presses.jpg

:rofl:

he's saying "gwen" as in gwen stefani of no doubt

Lyrics sheet says Glenn, but he actually sings Den on the record.
Is there really no-one called Den in the US? It's a common shortening of Dennis here in the UK. Very strange.

Lyrics sheet says Glenn, but he actually sings Den on the record.
Is there really no-one called Den in the US? It's a common shortening of Dennis here in the UK. Very strange.

Listen to the Wolverhampton '88 Live version. It's definitely Glenn.

Listen to the Wolverhampton '88 Live version. It's definitely Glenn.

On the album it's definately Glenn, but Wolverhampton '88 it's Glen. Listen to it again.

It's Glenn - as in Miller, the famous musician and composer. It's certainly not John.

just to add another name to the mix...( Apologies to "Anonymous" above...) It could refer to "Gwen", a rather sad old tranny I met once, who asked me to dance, and then asked could he/she come home with me...I politely declined.....so thats what that song means to me....

Back
Top Bottom