David Morrissey on Morrissey's "Autobiography"

An anonymous person writes:

David Morrissey, the "Walking Dead" actor who will be doing the audio version of Autobiography, was interviewed by the AV Club and was asked about the experience of recording the audio book. He gave what I think is a nice, intelligent answer.

The Walking Dead’s David Morrissey on keeping secrets and surviving as the Governor - The A.V. Club

Excerpt:

AVC: You recently recorded the audiobook version of Autobiography, by singer-songwriter and former Smiths frontman Morrissey. As a longtime fan of his, what were you most surprised to learn while reading the book?

DM: He’s always had that tag of “miserable Morrissey,” and he certainly can indulge that side of himself. But his humor is unbelievable. I had to stop reading many times because I was laughing so much. His cutting wit is second to none. Not that that surprised me—the consistency of it is amazing. There’s something Wildean about his writing—his putdowns are genius. It was just constantly jumping out at me. He’s somebody who’s in a place now where he’s very secure in his life and his music and I think that security and that belief in himself comes through in the book. He challenges many things in the book, many aspects of his past. There’s a lot of anger toward the music press, but in such a witty way. I hope I’ve done it justice, because it’s such a wonderful book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line is, Morrissey has disappointed Johnny and Brummie...

I had noticed. I don't how two such delicate blooms can possibly cope.

He is not the subversive hero he set out to be. He does it halfway. He could have been THE ONE--the coolest, most intellectual, compassionate, witty artist who cares both about human rights and animals rights equally. And vegan to boot. A real role model. He failed them.

If they feel a pop singer has "failed them" perhaps they should grow up a little.

Maybe they have more passion than most. My guess is, that is the case. They definitely are not indifferent

Passion is one word for such behaviours. There are plenty of others.

You've read their other posts right? Barleycorn has no compassion for anything, if he wasn't picking on this he'd be picking on something else. Likewise with BB. Find us a positive post of any kind from these two. They're nothing but a pair of windbag charlatans.

Check out some posts of Johnny's in the listening to thread. Or cell phone uploads. He is not without his charms. Brummie has a bit of an agenda. But don't all animal rights activists--including Morrissey? He is just more militant than most.

I had noticed. I don't how two such delicate blooms can possibly cope.

If they feel a pop singer has "failed them" perhaps they should grow up a little.

Passion is one word for such behaviours. There are plenty of others.
Orson, you appear to accept the hypocrisy and stupidity. It's just that you think we shouldn't care.
Am I being unfair to you?

But Charlie, it's quite a clear cut position, hypocrisy on the subject of animal rights and vile comments about a massacre of children.
And if I may add my own gripe, his support for UKIP is very disappointing.

I should clarify Peterb, I don't in any way agree with his comments on Norway, he's his own man though and far be from me to pass judgement. Again, how far he wants to take his stance on animal welfare is also his business. I don't personally wear leather or eat animals or dairy but that's my own personal choice. If someone eats animals or doesn't is neither here nor there to me as it's a personal call. As for the others, I can't see why a meat eater would give a damn whether another person wears leather or not to be honest.

Check out some posts of Johnny's in the listening to thread. Or cell phone uploads. He is not without his charms. Brummie has a bit of an agenda. But don't all animal rights activists--including Morrissey? He is just more militant than most.

I've read plenty of his posts elsewhere and I just don't feel he's somebody who's got any empathy for anyone. I'm surprised he's not popped up on the psychopath thread.

I should clarify Peterb, I don't in any way agree with his comments on Norway, he's his own man though and far be from me to pass judgement. Again, how far he wants to take his stance on animal welfare is also his business. I don't personally wear leather or eat animals or dairy but that's my own personal choice. If someone eats animals or doesn't is neither here nor there to me as it's a personal call. As for the others, I can't see why a meat eater would give a damn whether another person wears leather or not to be honest.
Hey Charlie, you really avoid animal products like that? Admirable indeed.
I'm a veggie but that's as far as I go.
I also like this bit " If someone eats animals or doesn't is neither here nor there to me as it's a personal call".
Good on yer fella.

Orson, you appear to accept the hypocrisy and stupidity. It's just that you think we shouldn't care.

I think that is it in a nutshell. They want others to be indifferent like they are. Like... who cares? Just listen to the music. Well, some do care.

Hey Charlie, you really avoid animal products like that? Admirable indeed.
I'm a veggie but that's as far as I go.
I also like this bit " If someone eats animals or doesn't is neither here nor there to me as it's a personal call".
Good on yer fella.

Thanks Peter.

I don't know of a single meat eater that cares if another MEATEATER wears leather. They only care that the vegetarian telling them not to consume meat--that they are murders--is at the same time, complicit in this murder industry. This IS the hypocrisy.

Why is Moz not vegan? That is the hypocrisy. Don't you see it? I do.

The vegan/leather thing is personal choice, isn't it? The criticism over David Morrissey recording the audiobook seems very silly to me. The Norway comment is of course the worst he's made, not pleasant at all, but ultimately it's a bad analogy. Like I said elsewhere, BB and JB treat Morrissey like he's Ian Watkins...

I think that is it in a nutshell. They want others to be indifferent like they are. Like... who cares? Just listen to the music. Well, some do care.

I don't think they do care though, not in the way that you're saying anyway. They care about muddying the bloke's name and running him down. I've no problem with criticism if it's fair and balanced - such as Peterb's obvious discomfort over the Norway comments, when it's just one thing after another on every subject then it just becomes an agenda and my eyes and ears close to anything they have to say.

I don't know of a single meat eater that cares if another MEATEATER wears leather. They only care that the vegetarian telling them not to consume meat--that they are murders--is at the same time, complicit in this murder industry. This IS the hypocrisy.

Why is Moz not vegan? That is the hypocrisy. Don't you see it? I do.

Like I said in my other post, that's his call. I'm not in a position to make ethical decisions on behalf of others and decide what pleases and displeases them.

Can all of us hand on heart say hypocrisy is a foreign concept to us?

Re: David Morrissey on Morrissey's "Autobiography"

I don't think they do care though, not in the way that you're saying anyway. They care about muddying the bloke's name and running him down. I've no problem with criticism if it's fair and balanced - such as Peterb's obvious discomfort over the Norway comments, when it's just one thing after another on every subject then it just becomes an agenda and my eyes and ears close to anything they have to say.

I really believe Brummie cares about veganism. Johnny, not so much. His motives seem politically oriented. Pointing out Moz's hypocrisy in those areas.

Do they just want to diss Moz? I don't think so. But I don't know for certain, of course. It just doesn't seem that way to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said in my other post, that's his call. I'm not in a position to make ethical decisions on behalf of others and decide what pleases and displeases them.

I am a hypocrite. And inconsistent. I agree, we all are.

They are both holding Moz to higher (perhaps unrealistic) standards. Hero standards, actually. You see him as a man. A human with flaws. Maybe they wish he was godlike?

Well, JB and BB only really seem to care about the sound of their own voices though. The topic doesn't really matter to them. It's just another stick to beat Morrissey, or rather his fans, over the head with. I'm not indifferent, but I don't understand their (ersatz?) cyber-rage, or the abuse they gleefully hand out when even slightly challenged. It doesn't seem rational at all. They seem to see the slightest "hypocrisy" in Morrissey, but not their own.

They are both holding Moz to higher (perhaps unrealistic) standards. Hero standards, actually. You see him as a man. A human with flaws. Maybe they wish he was godlike?

I think you've absolutely nailed it right there. They're a bit like little boys who have been disappointed by their father. It's a well known psychological trait, but they come across like apostates desperate to convert others to their way of thinking.

It seems to me that PETA would like the publicity that comes with the high-profile supporters, but don't really care if those very same people can't be bothered to stick to the policies they espouse. Now that's hypocrisy. In my exchanges with PETA, and those of others, I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that they are a bunch of uninformed chancers getting publicity by any means. You stand a better chance if you use fact as evidence and have a consistent standpoint. PETA do neither, in my opinion, which is why Morrissey would be better off supporting an organisation like Compassion In World Farming.

P.

Last edited:

It seems to me that PETA would like the publicity that comes with the high-profile supporters, but don't really care if those very same people can't be bothered to stick to the policies they espouse. Now that's hypocrisy. In my exchanges with PETA, and those of others, I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that they are a bunch of uninformed chancers getting publicity by any means. You stand a better chance if you use fact as evidence and have a consistent standpoint. PETA do neither, in my opinion, which is why Morrissey would be better off supporting an organisation like Compassion In World Farming.

P.

:thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, JB and BB only really seem to care about the sound of their own voices though. The topic doesn't really matter to them. It's just another stick to beat Morrissey, or rather his fans, over the head with. I'm not indifferent, but I don't understand their (ersatz?) cyber-rage, or the abuse they gleefully hand out when even slightly challenged. It doesn't seem rational at all. They seem to see the slightest "hypocrisy" in Morrissey, but not their own.

I think you've absolutely nailed it right there. They're a bit like little boys who have been disappointed by their father. It's a well known psychological trait, but they come across like apostates desperate to convert others to their way of thinking.

Well, now that the light has gone on for you, will you chose to interact with them differently?

The vegan/leather thing is personal choice, isn't it? The criticism over David Morrissey recording the audiobook seems very silly to me. The Norway comment is of course the worst he's made, not pleasant at all, but ultimately it's a bad analogy. Like I said elsewhere, BB and JB treat Morrissey like he's Ian Watkins...

I don't recall making any linkage between Morrissey and Ian Watkins and I'm certain there is none. If I did infer or opine in that manner, it would be actionable. I have not done so. But you have. I'd think carefully before you repeat any such inference. Not that any judge would give any credibility to the idea that a klutz like you could convince 'the man on the Clapham omnibus' to have a lesser opinion of Morrissey because of your inferred libel. Nor that you could possibly damage me.

Jayzus, what an eejit you are!

*rollseyes*
BB

Morrissey doesn't need anyone's help in muddying his own name as his comments on the Oslo massacre showed.

He goes on and on about the Royal family, Beckhams, Jamie Oliver, his animal rights hypocrisies...yet claims the world won't listen to his nonsense. Why should the world listen to a delusional hypocritical troll ex-pop star?

regards
BB

Yet Morrissey asumes he can make ethical decisions on behalf of others and decide what pleases and displeases him about their lives? Can you see the hypocrisy, stupidity and supine fawning that is your fandom?

Yes, 'mote in thine own eye', etc. But most of us either have some capacity for reflection and apology or aren't surrounded by salt grindr flunkies who kiss our arse rather than call us out for talking shite. Sadly, that is Morrissey's fate, to be surrounded by payroll friends or those who mock him behind his back whilst egging him on to ever more egregiously stupid public utterances. if he had a genuine friend, they'd tell him to stfu about animal rights until he stops wearing leather, eating dairy and eggs and wearing cashmere jumpers.

regards
BB.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom