David Letterman Skewers Actor/Rapper Joaquin Phoenix During Wildly Odd Interview

Serious case of bedhead there. Shame. I hate when people wear sunglasses indoors. And shit, if you're gonna go on a talk show.... TALK!

I love David Letterman. *not sorry* I LOL'd at "What can you tell us about your days with the Unibomber?" :p

I doubt Joaquin will ever (want to or be asked to) come back to DL, as a guest OR a musical guest.

Joaquin Phoenix ahs got more talent in his sunglasses than Letterman has in his entire body, he gets all his gags written for him and the band are all paid to fall about laughing at his every utterence.

Was he high? Nervous ticks, blank looks ahead, and I could barely understand what he was saying. He sounded like mumbles from Dick Tracy.

Rap music gives the kids the brain damage.

David Letterman is an old self righteous c***. I agree with SarahT, the audience behaved horribly.

He is :mad:

Joaquin Phoenix ahs got more talent in his sunglasses than Letterman has in his entire body, he gets all his gags written for him and the band are all paid to fall about laughing at his every utterence.

He does <3

Rap music gives the kids the brain damage.

It does :guitar:

ok, i watched the video and i thought it was funny at 1st cuz i thought Joaquin was "putting on a show"
so did Dave at 1st maybe :confused: but then it was just depressing :(
Joaquin has some serious issues :crazy: why wont anybody help him?
has he no real friends? or do they all give him drugs or something? :cool:
& arent we all gonna feel a little bad when he kills himself eventually :tears:

Awful interview. Letterman came across the dick here and the ridiculous audience pandering to him.

I love Dave. :)

Joaquin was there for an interview and he was clearly not with it, prepared, and/or willing to participate. I imagine the point of him being there was to plug his movie and he couldn't even remember who he'd worked with. Interviews to plug his movie would be part and parcel of his job. A modicum of professionalism would have been nice. Joaquin had the option to cancel his appearance if he wasn't feeling up to being there, I'm sure.

What I have always loved about Dave is his snarkiness. He has always been that way and that is why I have always watched him. I like that he doesn't pander to his guests like other talk show hosts. He actually paid Joaquin a compliment by telling him, "I'm hopeful that you will reconsider and come back to acting because there's nobody really better than you are."

The film is called Two Lovers, by the way, since I don't recall hearing the title.

As far as the audience is concerned, I'm sure that many people laugh when faced with an awkward situation, whether it is appropriate or not. This certainly would have classified as an awkward situation. After a while, even Paul couldn't contain himself.

Letterman, trying to be all funny and shit! I'm like...:ha-no: Whateva!!! DAVE! :rolleyes:

I actually laughed a little bit ;)

Damn you Letterman for making me laugh at that!!! :o :swear:

After a while, even Paul couldn't contain himself.

that was my fave part actually :o, Paul's "evil laugh" as Joaquin called it :p
but yeah, i dont really blame David L for how lame Joaquin looked and came off, the dude seems to be real messed up :crazy:'
& i really hope nothing bad happens to him like it did to his bro :straightface:

What a nasty smug tosser that Letterman is.
Both he and the audience behaved horribly.

Letterman has always been c***y, I don't like him... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

JP <3

David Letterman is an old self righteous c***. I agree with SarahT, the audience behaved horribly.

I'm sorry, I think Joaquin is great but what the hell was he thinking going on a nationally televised interview and basically not showing up. That was extremely rude of him to behave that way. David Letterman is a late night legend. You don't go there and act like that. Like Bysshe said, if he didn't feel up to being there, he could have cancelled. You people forget that David Letterman has a job to do. He has to make his show funny and interesting to watch whether or not Joaquin Phoenix wants to participate, and there are many people relying on him to do that. And Dave knows how to do it better than anyone else in my opinion. Joaquin was completely unwilling to participate so Dave had to work extra hard to make up for both of them. Joaquin brought it upon himself. Why should Dave have to suffer for Joaquin Phoenix' mid-thirties crisis?

He's obviously bored with his career, and now wants to try being edgy and strange but that doesn't mean you have to go on Letterman and act like a douchebag. Oh poor millionaire...I wish I had the burden of having to be at least semi-interesting on a television show while promoting my latest movie which I was paid millions to do. Poor, poor Joaquin.

Get over yourself, Joaquin. I don't know who the funk you think you are but you're not John Lennon.

I'm sorry, I think Joaquin is great but what the hell was he thinking going on a nationally televised interview and basically not showing up. That was extremely rude of him to behave that way. David Letterman is a late night legend. You don't go there and act like that. Like Bysshe said, if he didn't feel up to being there, he could have cancelled. You people forget that David Letterman has a job to do. He has to make his show funny and interesting to watch whether or not Joaquin Phoenix wants to participate, and there are many people relying on him to do that. And Dave knows how to do it better than anyone else in my opinion. Joaquin was completely unwilling to participate so Dave had to work extra hard to make up for both of them. Joaquin brought it upon himself. Why should Dave have to suffer for Joaquin Phoenix' mid-thirties crisis?

He's obviously bored with his career, and now wants to try being edgy and strange but that doesn't mean you have to go on Letterman and act like a douchebag. Oh poor millionaire...I wish I had the burden of having to be at least semi-interesting on a television show while promoting my latest movie which I was paid millions to do. Poor, poor Joaquin.

Get over yourself, Joaquin. I don't know who the funk you think you are but you're not John Lennon.

:highfive:

Joaquin's appearance kind of reminded me of Andy Kaufman's appearances on Dave's show years ago.

Incidentally, here is Dave making amends for not airing Bill Hicks' final appearance on his show in 1993:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/david-letterman.html

Back
Top Bottom