David Bowie dies at 69

Is it just me or is isn't it strange that there still is no statement from Mozza?
Joan Rivers, Cilla Black, Lou Reed, the Queen, the bullfighter but nothing for the
man who changed popmusic into art? Anyone....?

Is there some time limit on this? Not sure why it matters, but of course he'll have something to say eventually.

Maybe he's reflecting on the fact that there will never be the opportunity to set things straight between them ... who knows?

Good message for all of us ... life is short ... make it count and let those around you know how much they really matter.

Just walked by his apartment in Soho - so many people crowded around the impromptu memorial of flowers and photos. It's freezing outside but people are animated by their love. He was such a treasure.

I'm a little disturbed by the Elton John quote about Bowie being an artistic "vampire" (in relation to Jobriath and Bolan). That strikes me as sour grapes. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Morrissey obviously had an up and down relationship with Bowie - from childhood hero, to eventual falling out - so he may not release any statement. Hell, he didn't say a word about Joe Moss dying, and that was someone who played a direct role in getting his career with the Smiths off the ground.

Not at all, I just think his talent is overrated. Certainly his influence is clear, god knows how people were inspired by him, but it is what it is. But as far as talent goes, I just think people massively overrate him because they buy into the hype. It has nothing to do with "limited knowledge of musical history" so you can stop with that. He just inspires me to yawn is all.

Not that it isn't sad he died, he was a person and had loved ones etc. It is sad. But I guess it just highlights the fact to me how overrated I think he was.

The point is that this isn't really the appropriate time and place but thanks for the clarification that no one asked for or needed.

Re: David Bowie has died

He's a good dude underneath it all.

Agree. Always thought that the use of Nina Simone's Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood in the Importance Doc was quite fitting. Sums Moz up for me.

'To quote the sighing chorus of one of his most moving recent songs, where are we now? All day, as the tributes extended into the distance, the other lyrics that kept popping into my head were not the work of Bowie, but Morrissey, one of the people he had changed forever, and who stood on his shoulders: “I know it’s over/Still I cling/I don’t know where else I can go.”'

In mourning Bowie we mourn the end of an era when art could truly subvert

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/12/amourning-david-bowie-end-era-art-subvert

best wishes
[for/on behalf of "BrummieBoy"/Sharon/Alfie]

Dr Ekaterina Jones-Project Psychiatrist

Very ott with all this he was just a human who became famous for writing acting etc and making millions hero worship it tells records newspapers etc out pouring of grief its princess Diana all over again

THe first time I saw Morrissey this joker was on the stage.

tumblr_mhuvt0efA41qap55ao1_500.gif

12534151_149374442103858_1920104024_n.jpg

It would be a quite beautiful thing if James O'Brien or Morrissey or somebody could put the full, uncut, filmed record of this concert duet up...someplace.
A mesmerising moment in time.

If not now...when?

We'll most likely just see the private Linder photograph of Morrissey & Bowie in New York 1992, that DB nixed for the 'Playboys' re-issue...

Last edited:
It's perfectly understandable that Morrissey would take longer than other "celebrities" to write a statement. In the early 70s he was a clunky, starstruck schoolboy (in uniform!) asking for Bowie's autography at a concert venue. 20-odd years later Bowie is covering a song of his and joining him on stage. I'm sure Morrissey is not only devastated over David Bowie's passing, but feeling his own mortality.
Patience!

Who knows if Moz will release a statement on TTY. Perhaps he feels enough has been said and written already? I do have to say I've been impressed by the coverage Bowie's death has received in Britain. The main story on all the TV news, including the 'serious' news programmes like Channel 4 News and Newsnight. The front page of almost every daily newspaper. And BBC2 showed the very good documentary 5 Years again last night as a tribute, with Channel 4 showing a retrospective of his career. And no doubt media all over the world have been doing similar. Not bad at all for the boy from Brixton.

I think Morrissey is probably still in shock. I know I am...

I've not been feeling myself today. I know this is going to make me sound crazy but it's true! As you know I'm normally fairly level-headed(!) and if you'd told me this story I would think you're a bit nutty too. I dreamt about David Bowie last night! I was in some sort of work situation and there was a picture of David Bowie on the wall, it had a signature on it. I asked whoever I was with if it was a real autograph, they said, "Ask him yourself." I turned around and there was David Bowie in person! (I wasn't particularly fazed by this, you know what dreams are like...) I asked him if the signature on the picture was real. He studied it for a bit then shook his head and said "Nah." When I woke up (which seemed about 10 mins later) the Missus said to me "I'm off to the dentist and by the way you won't like the bad news today, David Bowie died." I just lay there in a daze, I swear this is true. I've been out of sorts all day... am I having some sort of breakdown?

Thank you for sharing this. This is a mystic world, and dreams are just another reality...

Morrissey can comment on Steve Strange's passing but not David Bowie? What a bitter old turd. He is 12 years younger than Bowie but looks a good 5 years older. Living an unhappy, bitter life ages a person. Sad.

Who knows if Moz will release a statement on TTY. Perhaps he feels enough has been said and written already? I do have to say I've been impressed by the coverage Bowie's death has received in Britain. The main story on all the TV news, including the 'serious' news programmes like Channel 4 News and Newsnight. The front page of almost every daily newspaper. And BBC2 showed the very good documentary 5 Years again last night as a tribute, with Channel 4 showing a retrospective of his career. And no doubt media all over the world have been doing similar. Not bad at all for the boy from Brixton.

Yes, the news coverage. I must say, as grand and fitting as all of this is for David Bowie, I'm afraid of what will happen when Moz dies media wise. I can't imagine THAT much peacefulness and unity as there is right now. Who would make the official announcement? He has no famous husband/wife or family member. His best friend is just known in the art world. Will anyone care?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom