David Bowie dies at 69

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2016 (read-only)' started by Bluebirds, Jan 11, 2016.

By Bluebirds on Jan 11, 2016 at 7:12 AM
  1. Bluebirds

Bluebirds Well-Known Member

January 10 2016 - davidbowie.com. Link posted by GurgleJerk.
    David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.

Also:
    Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69 - The Hollywood Reporter

[​IMG]

UPDATE Jan. 11:

From @TorrHL / Twitter:

I complied a list of all the times that Morrissey mentions Bowie in "Autobiography." I also embedded five relevant videos.

Lots of interesting quotes in here. Enjoy.

Every time Morrissey mentions David Bowie in “Autobiography” - Torr / Tumblr

From the January 2014 article "Morrissey calls for end to David Bowie rivalry that was just 'high ribbing'" on Gigwise:

Ex-Smiths frontman Morrissey has said that he wants an end to his rivalry with fellow music icon David Bowie.

In a question and answer session on fansite truetoyou.net, Morrissey addressed the truth behind the rivalry calling it simply "ribbing".

"When I made the (2006) record Ringleader of the Tormentors," writes Morrissey, "the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks."

"I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticised David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
    1. Johnny Barleycorn
      Johnny Barleycorn
      You're a fucking idiot.
    2. Mr Delaney
      Mr Delaney
      Please do not use another person's death for your "crusade" against Morrissey. Thank you.

RIP David.
    3. DaphneandMoz
      DaphneandMoz
      Goodbye David.

God bless you.
    4. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Oh Please don't take offence but don't you think Stevens next move/comments are going to be fascinating given the things he said about Mr Bowie on the Jonathan Ross show.

Benny-the-British-Butcher
    5. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Tony Visconti
      1 hr ·
      "He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."

Benny-the-British-Butcher
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Re: David Bowie has died

number one all over it
    7. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I have no words.. RIP David.. xxx
    8. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      "When I made the (2006) record Ringleader of the Tormentors," writes Morrissey, "the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks."

"I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticised David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."
    9. Ryan
      Ryan
      "He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."
      - Tony Visconti
    10. Pokey
      Pokey
      Nothing is sacred. Morrissey breathing is offensive to many people here. Delicate flowers.

But on topic, I suddenly feel like the only person in the world who thought Bowie was utterly overrated. Social media has exploded, people I didn't even think knew who Bowie was are apparently his biggest fans so heh.
    11. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Funny how he can appreciate this in one person (Bowie) but apparently not in another (Moz).
    12. Detritus
      Detritus
      I'm crushed. Bowie was my childhood hero, and he'll be my hero for life.

It was known he was in poor health (but not that he had cancer), so I guess this shouldn't have come as a shock, but honestly the man seemed indestructible and mere days ago he released what has got to be the greatest piece of work of his latter-day career. He didn't let up 'til the very end, and now he's taken us all by surprise one last time before returning to the stars where he belongs.
    13. catfips
      catfips
      It's all about you, isn't it? If you can't say something positive just shut up, please!!
    14. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      I believe the point being made is that Morrissey will make it all about Morrissey.
    15. Ben Budd
      Ben Budd
      Yeah, but he wasn't, though.
    16. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Nothing beats dying to bring out the quiescent fans! I liked him as a kid and think considering his lifestyle he had a good innings. RIP Dave.
    17. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      You must be very young. Without Bowie there would have been no Morrissey.
      Even Moz will admit that.
    18. Pokey
      Pokey
      Just because without Bowie there would be no Morrissey doesn't mean I can't think he is overrated and had an awful voice. Its partly subjective and partly I just believe if he wasn't heralded as being "so different" he wouldn't have been anything special. I'm not that young, I just don't rate him. Don't try to play the age card.
    19. !Viva Hate!
      !Viva Hate!
      This is heartbreaking news. My sympathy goes out to Iman, their daughter, and his son. It is now very clear that his last two albums were meant as his goodbye. I hope in the end he was satisfied with the life and legacy he left us with.
    20. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Of course without Bowie there would be no Morrissey. Every fan knows that. But, as Moz said, music is a very personal and emotional thing and it just can't be forced. As much as I enjoy a bit of Bowie and as much as I can acknowledge his impact, he just didn't reach me with his music and life the way others did. Many people feel like that and there's nothing wrong with that. Why fight?