David Bowie dies at 69

I'm speaking about performing, and theatrical projection. I've seen other performers onstage while they neared the end of their lives (AIDS took so many). Beautiful queens, musicians, actors. Watching them struggle was horrific, but a necessary act of love. No one is elegant during that final metastasis. No one can hide the horror of it.

I've had cancer myself; I never stopped running my business, and I've also been onstage while undergoing chemo treatments. There is a difference between making it to work (which is important and meaningful) and being in the public gaze, performing - being "on." The first thing to go when you've been diagnosed with a terrible illness (and you are in pain) is the ability to project a fantasy - it requires too much energy, and the pain makes it impossible to "forget" yourself. Bowie, during his final months of life, managed to turn dying itself into a brilliant performance. It's a beautiful (and incredible) act of defiance. That does not negate anyone else's suffering. It is a gift, and it is truly inspiring.

I see. He got you and so many others again. I not with you. Sorry.

So, David Bowie died and instead of focusing on that, as it should be, you sat there all day waiting for a Morrissey statement? Morrissey's Bowie fandom is something personal to him, as every fandom is, and everyone has the right to express it as they want to. It's delusional to get offended by something that has nothing to do with us.

I disagree, it's something called "manners" Speaks volumes as to Morrissey's character.

Because my views are right ! :lbf: kidding aside,I don't care for his smelly ego that he tried to spread all over those who have way more talent than he could ever have dreamt of having. So to me he was a ...twat. I'm glad he backed up some bands,helping them along, but that's where his usefulness ends. And anyhow..that same video was posted twice in a thread that had nothing to do with the passing of Bowie. And I found the mice in their trolling annoying.

So you clearly don't have any idea of what Tony Wilson achieved then? You really are a deluded f***ing idiot. Get back to licking Morrissey images.

I'm speaking about performing, and theatrical projection. I've seen other performers onstage while they neared the end of their lives (AIDS took so many). Beautiful queens, musicians, actors. Watching them struggle was horrific, but a necessary act of love. No one is elegant during that final metastasis. No one can hide the horror of it.

I've had cancer myself; I never stopped running my business, and I've also been onstage while undergoing chemo treatments. There is a difference between making it to work (which is important and meaningful) and being in the public gaze, performing - being "on." The first thing to go when you've been diagnosed with a terrible illness (and you are in pain) is the ability to project a fantasy - it requires too much energy, and the pain makes it impossible to "forget" yourself. Bowie, during his final months of life, managed to turn dying itself into a brilliant performance. It's a beautiful (and incredible) act of defiance. That does not negate anyone else's suffering. It is a gift, and it is truly inspiring.

I see. He got you and so many others again. I'm not with you. Sorry.

Have we heard anything from Trent Reznor either? No disrespect to Bowie's legacy, but it certainly gives you pause when two of his most notable collaborators have nothing to say.

If you are referring to Morrissey as one of the two, that is quite an overstatement to consider him a "collaborator." They sang one song on stage together, Bowie recorded one of Morrissey's songs, Morrissey covered one of Bowie's songs live, and Morrissey had an opening gig on a Bowie tour that he walked away from. Morrissey drew inspiration from Bowie. Likewise, Bowie apparently admired Morrissey, at least at one time. But they hardly collaborated, so there's not much basis to give one reason for pause at all.

The 24-hour news cycle may have a deadline on statements and encomia concerning the illustrious dead, but not the real people who were, or presumably are, genuinely affected. It's not a race. Dying affects those left behind in different ways at different paces.

then educate me,please. I don't mind being wrong. But not with links.

Here some snippets from his Wikipedia page - maybe you should do some research before assuming someone is a big twat with no talent.

"Tony" Wilson was an English record label owner, radio and television presenter, nightclub manager, impresario and journalist for Granada Television and the BBC.

Wilson was the music mogul behind some of Manchester's most successful bands. He was one of the five co-founders of Factory Records and the founder and manager of the Haçienda nightclub. Wilson was known as "Mr Manchester",[1][2] dubbed as such for his work in promoting the culture of Manchester throughout his career.

He was portrayed by Steve Coogan in Michael Winterbottom's 2002 film 24 Hour Party People, and by Craig Parkinson in Anton Corbijn's 2007 film Control.

After his graduation in 1971, Wilson began as a trainee news reporter for ITN, before moving to Manchester in 1973, where he secured a post at Granada Television. He went on to present Granada's culture, music and events programme, So It Goes. Through the 1970s and 1980s he was one of the main anchors on Granada Reports, a regional evening news programme, where he worked with Richard and Judy among others. He continued in this line of work even at the height of his success in the music industry.

In 1989, Wilson hosted The Other Side of Midnight, another Granada weekly regional culture slot, covering music, literature and the arts in general. Its Sunday night slot made it one of the UK's first experiments in late night weekend TV. He reported for ITV's celebrated current affairs series, World in Action in the early 1980s and also hosted Channel 4's After Dark, the UK's first open-ended, late night chat show, in which he chaired loose discussions in a darkened studio between intellectuals and celebrities of various descriptions. Wilson co-presented the BBC's coverage of The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley Stadium with Lisa I'Anson in 1992. He hosted the short-lived TV quiz shows Topranko! and MTV Europe's Remote Control in the 1990s, as well as the Manchester United themed quiz, Masterfan, for MUTV.

In 2006 he became the regional political presenter for the BBC's The Politics Show. He presented a weekly radio show on Xfm Manchester – Sunday Roast – and a show on BBC Radio Manchester. In October he joined Blur bassist Alex James, Blue Peter presenter Konnie Huq and previously unknown presenter Emily Rose to host the 21st century version of the iconic 80s music programme, "The Tube", for Channel 4 Radio which ran until 2 March 2007. His final music TV show was filmed in December 2006 for Manchester's Channel M. Only one episode of the programme – entitled 'The New Friday' – was recorded before Wilson became ill.

He was the manager of many bands, including A Certain Ratio and the Durutti Column, and was part owner and manager of Factory Records, home of Happy Mondays, Joy Division and New Order – the band managed by friend and business partner Rob Gretton. He also founded and managed the Haçienda nightclub and Dry Bar, together forming a central part of the music and cultural scene of Manchester. The scene was termed "Madchester" in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The main square of the HOME/First Street development in Manchester, which opened in 2015, is named Tony Wilson Place

The 24-hour news cycle may have a deadline on statements and encomia concerning the illustrious dead, but not the real people who were, or presumably are, genuinely affected. It's not a race. Dying affects those left behind in different ways at different paces.

Yes, this is true and I think Moz is quite known for keeping such things private in many cases. I mean, was there ever an official statement on Kirsty MacColl? Or any involvement in tributes? People around here were quite civil back in 2000 when it happened. I think today Moz would get more flack for it.

"I know I've criticized David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."---Moz

Maybe he didn't know that. Considering his subsequent behavior, Bowie likely found Morriseys many cruel and snarky comments about him to be very hurtful. Was there ever really an actual "rivalry" between Bowie and Morrissey? They're not really on the same level are they? This is all really sad, but if you continually exhibit passive-aggressive, or bipolar behaviour towards people they will eventually get tired of it and avoid you. Tepid "snot-nosed" non-apologies won't fix things especially when you are always asking for favors.

- - - Updated - - -

So Moz not even going to say a word about Bowie's passing ??

And Boz too, he offered no tribute on facebook at all....only because it might offend his owner.

Good God. As already mentioned, is this a game or what? Also, keep your delusion going. People who commented on Bowie's death: Jesse Tobias, Matt Walker, Linder Sterling, Michael Bracewell. Obviously this is unruly behaviour. Moz won't take it lightly. Infact, everyone of them is history already. They are gone from the Moz camp. :D

Here some snippets from his Wikipedia page - maybe you should do some research before assuming someone is a big twat with no talent.

He was portrayed by Steve Coogan in Michael Winterbottom's 2002 film 24 Hour Party People, and by Craig Parkinson in Anton Corbijn's 2007 film Control.

I had no idea who he was before I saw this movie. For anyone that hasn't seen it I strongly recommend that you do.

He led a very interesting life and was instrumental in the musical movement of the time even if not directly involved in its creation. Kind of reminds me of Hilly Kristal who established CBGBs. Although the 2013 movie CBGB didn't get good reviews, Alan Rickman's performance as Hilly is worth the cost of the rental.

It confirms that it is often those people who are "not in their right mind" so to speak that go on to do exceptional things. What it must have been like to come across all that talent before any names were made. The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones, Iggy Pop, etc. The closest I can measure is to say that I saw Radiohead in a club in Chicago back when "Creep" was in the set list and any fan knows how long ago that was.

Last edited:
If you are referring to Morrissey as one of the two, that is quite an overstatement to consider him a "collaborator." They sang one song on stage together, Bowie recorded one of Morrissey's songs, Morrissey covered one of Bowie's songs live, and Morrissey had an opening gig on a Bowie tour that he walked away from. Morrissey drew inspiration from Bowie. Likewise, Bowie apparently admired Morrissey, at least at one time. But they hardly collaborated, so there's not much basis to give one reason for pause at all.

Semantics aside...neither Reznor nor Morrissey, who both had a notable "professional association" (or whatever you would like to call it) have remained silent. Of course it gives one reason for pause.

i don't know, but i was more upset (altought it was expected) that he didn't make an statement for Joe Moss than for Bowie. I know that Bowie was a huge influence for him, but Joe Moss was one of the most important people in his life, because without him the smiths wouldn't have existed. Juts my opinion :straightface:

It's Princess of the People syndrome gone mad. CBB tonight was beyond hilarious. If they had newspapers in the house the crocodile tears would have flowed lol.

that was the funniest thing i've ever seen on TV
i was in tears.

Well with respect, Joe Moss never wrote the lyrics/poetry or sang them. Anyway, moving on, for all that has been written about Bowie I have only learnt 2 things. I never knew he had
such big feet and eczema on his head. I'm not being disrespectful. I am fully aware of his great influence on pop culture but in today's world he wouldn't have passed the X-Factor auditions. Work it out, if you can. Fame is a fake game.

I agree. It's a fun movie for those who were not there. It's a movie not gospel and probably closer to fiction. Heard a story that Genesis P-Orridge was watching this movie while on a plane flight and he reacted by throwing a tantrum and had to be physically restrained,he was outraged at the portrayal of Curtis,since he was a friend of his.

Again,As I stated in a previous post. These Wilson's and Kristal's are important,but it could have been any person with a bit of money and the mind to see that they have a good thing here. I'm not dismissing what they did,But these artists would have found a way regardless of who held out a helping hand. Though not knowing how it could have been otherwise,I'm glad the pieces have fallen they way they fell.

Well, I think that this IS being a little too dismissive of the immeasurable effect/impact these individuals had on the future popularity of these acts. I am sure you are aware that there are hundreds and thousands of talented individuals/bands that never make it further than the local pub. Many more talented and gifted than those musical acts I mentioned in my original post. To suggest that success was somehow preordained based solely on their talent, or that anyone, anywhere who had money could have accomplished the same thing doesn't hold water, and frankly, is a bit naive.

It was many different (some little, some big) things/events that led to their ultimate success. I propose that in the case of Kristal it was the distinct way that he alone ran this club and the combination of its location and condition that made it a trendy place to be and be seen, which then led to music reporters dropping in to interview the acts, which led to more exposure and eventual stardom for many. And the fact that none of this was contrived or pre-planned does not diminish his contribution.

We can play the "what if" game all day long, but to not give credit to these men for the roles they played in the success of the bands they helped promote is faulty logic in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, I think that this IS being a little too dismissive of the immeasurable effect/impact these individuals had on the future popularity of these acts. I am sure you are aware that there are hundreds and thousands of talented individuals/bands that never make it further than the local pub. Many more talented and gifted than those musical acts I mentioned in my original post. To suggest that success was somehow preordained based solely on their talent, or that anyone, anywhere who had money could have accomplished the same thing doesn't hold water, and frankly, is a bit naive.

It was many different (some little, some big) things/events that led to their ultimate success. I propose that in the case of Kristal it was the distinct way that he alone ran this club and the combination of its location and condition that made it a trendy place to be and be seen, which then led to music reporters dropping in to interview the acts, which led to more exposure and eventual stardom for many. And the fact that none of this was contrived or pre-planned does not diminish his contribution.

We can play the "what if" game all day long, but to not give credit to these men for the roles they played in the success of the bands they helped promote is faulty logic in my opinion.

uh?? Moss was one of their manager and Marr also said that it was Moss the one who made him knock on Morrissey's door

uh?? Moss was one of their manager and Marr also said that it was Moss the one who made him knock on Morrissey's door

Hey there, I am not sure how the lines got crossed here, but I wasn't speaking to the Moss/Marr conversation you were having with KS. It was a response to her Wilson/Kristal comment. I am sure she will respond though...she responds to everything and everyone.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom