Dave Gahan rushed to hospital

Blimey. The curse of Morrissey-solo strikes! It was only a couple of days ago someone was saying what a wuss Morrissey is compared to Dave Gahan, who, it was said is sooo much more energetic. :squiffy:

The Greek Depeche Mode fans that had gathered at the Terra Vibe Park near Athens yesterday evening didn't really get the show they had expected. Over 30.000 people got the not so pleasant message that the show was canceled due to Gahan being rushed to hospital. Apparently David Gahan fell ill in his dressing room.

"My friend is part of the support band Puressence, and phoned me and said that Dave was fine this afternoon, and Martin was changed in his stage costume so seems to have been a very last minute decision. My friend is barricaded backstage until the crowd calm down." says YouTube member robrumbell.

The announcement was followed by lots of yelling and bottles being thrown on stage by enraged fans though the venue was cleared soon after without further incidents. According to the first reports Gahan suffers from stomach and further intestinal problems and is currently being examined in a hospital near the capital of Greece. It's not sure when the band will be able to continue the tour or if they will play the Greek concert after all this evening as also the tonight's replacement concert has been canceled as well. They are expected to perform in Istanbul, Turkey on May 14th followed by a gig on May 16th in Bucharest, Romania. The Istanbul, Bucharest and Sofia concerts have been canceled.

Update: Fans are also starting to complain that the official website is not giving any info on the event. Here's a mail fragment from Side-Line reader Adriana Maltezou: "The official website is good at posting dumb videos but informing 30.000 people that came here for nothing, oh no, that's way beyond what we could possibly ask. I travelled from the north of Greece for nothing, I have to get back to work today, so I miss the concert that MIGHT take place tonight and a lot of money on top! I'm deeply disappointed!" And the list goes on and on... It was also revealed that until the very last minute, around 9.30 last night, the local promoter Didi Music kept on selling tickets for the event although they were aware of the upcoming cancellation. The place normally holds around 15.000-20.000 max people, there were over 30.000, close to 40.000 people present.

The showʼs organizers have announced that ticket holders should keep their tickets to get a refund. In further news, Gahan has left the hospital this morning around 11.30 AM. We were in the meantime informed of a rather weird reason why the show would have been really cancelled... if this is true, then Depeche Mode's frontman has acted in a very unprofessional way. Until final confirmation, we'll stick to the official reason: gastroenteritis.

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=42361_0_2_0_C

Blimey. The curse of Morrissey-solo strikes! It was only a couple of days ago someone was saying what a wuss Morrissey is compared to Dave Gahan, who, it was said is sooo much more energetic. :squiffy:

Moz is still a wuss.. ;) how often do you hear about DM cancelling...

Mode's Gahan still too ill for gig
54 minutes ago
Depeche Mode frontman David Gahan is still too unwell to go on stage in Athens.
The British synth-rock act - whose hits include Just Can't Get Enough and Enjoy The Silence - cancelled a concert in the Greek capital Athens as part of their world tour after Dave fell ill.
And the front man did not recover from suspected gastroenteritis in time to play for disappointed fans the following night.

from Google news

Corr blimey, hope Dave gets well soon! One of the best frontmen ever in my opinion, things must be bad if they had to cancel two shows.

Thursday night concert in Istanbul cancelled

Turkey's Anatolia news agency said Gahan would go to the United States for treatment and that concerts in Bucharest, Romania, on Saturday and Sofia, Bulgaria, next Monday might also be canceled.

Depeche Mode lead singer in hospital in Athens
1 hour ago
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Depeche Mode lead singer David Gahan is not well enough to perform in Athens on Wednesday, concert organizers said, a day after he was rushed to the hospital moments before he was to appear on stage.
Turkish organizers also canceled the band's Thursday night concert in Istanbul.
Tuesday night's concert north of the Greek capital was canceled after Gahan, who turned 47 last month, fell ill and was hospitalized overnight. Neither organizers nor the hospital would say what he was suffering from.
About 20,000-30,000 fans who had turned up to hear the British band were told to retain their tickets in case the singer was well enough to reschedule the concert for the following day.
But concert organizers Didi Music later issued an announcement Wednesday saying the singer was still unable to perform.
"Even though everyone hoped for the singer's speedy recovery and the rescheduling of the band's show for today ... according to the information received by the band's management and the doctor on duty, the artist's health condition does not allow it," the organizers said.
Turkish organizers also announced late Wednesday that they were canceling the band's Istanbul concert.
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, the Depeche Mode concert will not take place on May 14," the organizers, Purple Concerts, said in a statement on their Web site.
Purple Concerts was not immediately reachable, but Turkey's Anatolia news agency said Gahan would go to the United States for treatment and that concerts in Bucharest, Romania, on Saturday and Sofia, Bulgaria, next Monday might also be canceled.
The band's publicists in London gave no information on whether any other dates on Depeche Mode's tour would be affected. After Bulgaria, the band is scheduled to play in Belgrade, Serbia, next Wednesday, followed by concerts in Croatia and Poland. Depeche Mode arrived in Greece after playing in Tel Aviv, Israel, on Sunday.
The British band emerged in the early 1980s, releasing 46 singles and a dozen albums.

Official statement just released about 4 more cancellations. :tears:
Got tickets for London myself, May 30th.
Already had Moz cancel on me last Monday, I hope my second trip to London this month won't have the same result. :tears:

Depeche Mode have been forced to cancel a further four shows on their Sounds of the Universe tour due to further complications from singer Dave Gahan's severe bout of gastroenteritis. Dave is currently undergoing further tests.

Depeche Mode apologise to all their fans for this inconvenience and wish Dave a speedy recovery. Further information will be released in due course.

The following shows have been cancelled:

May 16th Bucharest, Romania, Izvor Park
May 18th Sofia, Bulgaria, Vasil Levski Stadium
May 20th Belgrade, Serbia, USCE Park
May 21st Zagreb, Croatia, Arena

Ticket holders for the above shows are advised to hold on to their tickets as an announcement will be made shortly in regard to rescheduled dates or final cancellation.

Having to cancel your concert due to diarrhea. FAIL. Cue "Keyboard Cat."

youtube "Play Him Off Keyboard Cat" if you are not familiar with the cat :lbf:

Here's some news that reached us from a Greek correspondent, it is NOT confirmed (from official side it is being dissed as rumours): While it's seems that Depeche Mode will be suing Didi Music and Terra Vibe because of their rather poor handling of the Athens concert disaster earlier this week, it also seems that both Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher were willing to play 3-5 songs. The set would be including "A Question of Lust" followed by an apology by both members, but as it seems the promoters Didi music did not want this to happen.

Athens to be rescheduled
According to the same source Depeche Mode will play either on July 14th 2009 or on 22 May 2010 at the Olympic Stadium in Athens. The promotion for this event would be done by Depeche Mode themselves through what is said to be "viable and experienced UK concert organisers and via independent neighbourhood record stores throughout Greece including the Islands and remote regions." All tickets purchased for the canceled event would be valid + a further 40 thousand tickets would go on sale for a price of Euro 40, the price the band wanted to have in the first place instead of tickets of Euro 60, Euro 80 or even Euro 100 like was the case in Greece. Truth or rumours? Until an official announcement is made, nothing is impossible...

More canceled dates
And there's confirmed news as well... Depeche Mode have been forced to cancel a further four shows on their "Sounds of the Universe" tour due to further complications from singer Dave Gahan's severe bout of gastroenteritis. The following shows have been cancelled:
  • May 16th Bucharest, Romania, Izvor Park
  • May 18th Sofia, Bulgaria, Vasil Levski Stadium
  • May 20th Belgrade, Serbia, USCE Park
  • May 21st Zagreb, Croatia, Arena
Ticket holders for the above shows are advised to hold on to their tickets as an announcement will be made shortly in regard to rescheduled dates or final cancellation.

New shows to be announced
In better news, new dates are about to be added as well including on-sale info for Spain, Costa Rica, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina and Brazil.

Video bottle throwing crowd Athens
A video of the Greek public throwing bottles on stage, when the cancellation of the gig is announced in front of 30.000 people, has now popped up on YouTube. Due to what happened the Greek translator Dimitra Matzouka from this video would have resigned from Didi Music, the Greek concert organisor. Didi Music did not return calls.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=42402_0_2_0_C

Last edited by a moderator:
Official statement just released about 4 more cancellations. :tears:
Got tickets for London myself, May 30th.
Already had Moz cancel on me last Monday, I hope my second trip to London this month won't have the same result. :tears:

Bad things happen in 3's (Paul Rudd, The Killers, Moz) Have fun at DM :thumb:

what about Paul Rudd?!

Sorry, "inside" joke. Paul was in Amsterdam and Jose missed him -dunno why he was there, promoting a movie? Jose? Then just after that, the Killers cancelled the show she was going to (cuz of a bomb threat).

So, "they" (who are those people?!!) say bad luck comes in threes. Hope Dave recovers soon.

Sorry, "inside" joke. Paul was in Amsterdam and Jose missed him -dunno why he was there, promoting a movie? Jose? Then just after that, the Killers cancelled the show she was going to (cuz of a bomb threat).

So, "they" (who are those people?!!) say bad luck comes in threes. Hope Dave recovers soon.

Yeah, Paul Rudd was in Amsterdam to promote Role Models I think (that was only released here a couple of weeks ago...).
And I found out about it a day or two later. :nopity:

Back
Top Bottom