Darker Places a band with Smiths sound

I like that after first listen so will lookout for their album. Can I recommend The Holiday Crowd to you, they do wear their influences on their sleeves, The Smiths, Joy Division, Soft Cell etc and singer does sound like Moz at points.

I like that after first listen so will lookout for their album. Can I recommend The Holiday Crowd to you, they do wear their influences on their sleeves, The Smiths, Joy Division, Soft Cell etc and singer does sound like Moz at points.
I just listened to sick days by holiday crowd! you have a good ear my friend and sent links to a couple of hardcore Smiths fans. Ill post what they say later! Great Find!

I just listened to sick days by holiday crowd! you have a good ear my friend and sent links to a couple of hardcore Smiths fans. Ill post what they say later! Great Find!
Your very welcome, they have two albums Over The Bluffs (9 tracks) 2012 and The Holiday Crowd (10 tracks) 2016. Debut Over The Bluffs originally came out as a 7 track album but got extended to 9 tracks a year later so if buying I'd recommend the longer version. They're an excellent band with a retro sound, well worth investigating, you won't be disappointed.

Another band I'd like to recommend that defo have a Smiths vibe musically are The Railway Children, singer doesn't sound like Moz but he's written some great songs since the band started mid eighties and the tunes are heavily influenced by The Smiths sound. You may already be aware of them but if not check them out.

Your very welcome, they have two albums Over The Bluffs (9 tracks) 2012 and The Holiday Crowd (10 tracks) 2016. Debut Over The Bluffs originally came out as a 7 track album but got extended to 9 tracks a year later so if buying I'd recommend the longer version. They're an excellent band with a retro sound, well worth investigating, you won't be disappointed.
Yes! ive checked out more of their tunes and yup not disappointed!

Just checked out Railway Children Every beat of the heart. i hear the cure influences. i like it! keep em coming.
Yes that was probably their biggest hit, pretty upbeat track and there's plenty
tracks with a more Smithsy sound in their discography. Ok, have you heard The Sundays? Fantastic band which only released three album's before taking a step back from releasing music as lead singer Harriet Wheeler and guitarist / songwriter David Gavurin decided to play happy families, check out debut Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Second album called Blind and third Static And Silence. All these albums are heavily influenced by The Smiths sound & aesthetic.

It sounds like music a band made for a Smiths documentary because they don't have the rights to use The Smiths' music.

It sounds like music a band made for a Smiths documentary because they don't have the rights to use The Smiths' music.

:lbf:

I’ve always steered away from music that just seemed to mimic The Smiths or Marr’s playing, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Folks gotta do their own thing, bring something new to the table just like The Smiths did. Otherwise, why bother. Be original, be unpopular, be brave, keep it new. It’s a rare thing, unfortunately.

Last edited:
:lbf:

I’ve always steered away from music that just seemed to mimic The Smiths or Marr’s playing, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Folks gotta do their own thing, bring something new to the table just like The Smiths did. Otherwise, why bother. Be original, be unpopular, be brave, keep it new. It’s a rare thing, unfortunately.
Thing is I've always loved that multi layered jangly guitar sound, The Smiths and for a large part of Morrissey's solo career have excelled at that sound. The three bands I've mentioned The Holiday Crowd, The Railway Children and The Sundays have also made that sound their own and my ears can't get enough of it, as let's face it there are plenty of terrible 'guitar' bands out there. Lloyd Cole and The Commotions also jangle in the same style back in the heyday of authentic 80's indie...long may it last?

Back
Top Bottom