Damon Albarn on Morrissey's politics - NME

Damon Albarn on Morrissey’s support of For Britain: “If you don’t live in the country, then you shouldn’t be dabbling in its politics” - NME

Excerpt:

Now, Blur frontman Damon Albarn has had his say on the matter, speaking to Jordan Bassett during an NME interview with The Good, The Bad And The Queen.

“Steven is a complicated soul,” started Albarn, before bandmate and former Clash bassist Paul Simonon asked, “But does he live in England?”

“No, he lives in California,” replied Albarn. “He doesn’t care. He’s just doing it to wind people up.”

Simonon then argued that Morrissey’s time living abroad gave him a warped perception of how life really is in the UK.

“Sometimes if you are away and you don’t live in the country, then you’ve got a misconception of what the reality is from the ground up,” he said. “It’s the same as John Lydon – he’s sort of got to a certain level and he’s [entitled] to his views, but if you don’t live here, your vision of it is in a bubble.”

Albarn then added: “Yeah, I totally agree. You shouldn’t even have an opinion. If you don’t live in the country, then you shouldn’t be dabbling in its politics because to have the sensitivity to understand, you have to live amongst the emotional world of the people as well, not just the idea of something. That’s a long way from reality.

“So I think if you wanna be miserable and English, you’ve gotta be miserable and English. You know – really be it.”

Damon Albarn has a short memory:

Damon Albarn: new Gorillaz album inspired by Trump's election
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...laz-new-album-humanz-response-trumps-election

Last edited by a moderator:
yes for sure, AND he was going around for many years with the damned missing tooth making a spectacle of himself everywhere.:straightface: bit gap right in front. if broke :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: can get big new :horseface: teeth so can this knob get his one tooth. but maybe he has in the last few years.:hushed:

i dont know i would talk about someone else or give political advice with a big toothless gap in the mouth.:smirk:
At least he's not fat and balding. Glass houses.

yes for sure, AND he was going around for many years with the damned missing tooth making a spectacle of himself everywhere.:straightface: bit gap right in front. if broke :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: can get big new :horseface: teeth so can this knob get his one tooth. but maybe he has in the last few years.:hushed:

i dont know i would talk about someone else or give political advice with a big toothless gap in the mouth.:smirk:
They all want to be Keith Richards. Johnny with the bleach spot, and Damon with the teeth.
abd596e660838024594f8bbb9deed91f.jpg

DA is not fat and bald
only if you are BLIND::lbf:

p073jmp9.jpg

as round as Bernard and as bald as :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:. from this photo i have the abstraction
that he is still toothless, a toothless twat.:openmouth:

In my opinion, the difference here is that I never knew David Bowie held these opinions because people were talking about his art and not his political opinions.
What is happening is something that is probably thousands of years old but it appears to me to be a trend. It works like this. Someone is interviewed and the interviewer doesn't really have any perception to delve into that person's art so they ask "What do you think about ______?"
This is how Bernard Sumner wound up talking about Morrissey and it's how Morrissey wound up talking about Weinstein and Spacey. I think that the person being interviewed is probably made to feel relaxed and there are probably a number of things discussed, but then the journalist gets to what they know will get some attention.
I don't know if this is because twitter and Facebook have gotten us used to being in each other's business and made people think that their opinions are more important or relevant than they are. Or maybe it's because journalists know this formula will work? As a longtime listener of Morrissey I'm sure that you or I or many people here, or any journalist who actually knows his career or spends some time preparing for an interview, could think of dozens of things to ask and talk about for hours until he told us to gtfo. And I would never think to ask about Kevin Spacey. And I sure wouldn't get him started on immigration because he already said it, we know it, and so what? He doesn't even vote.
Now I have not clicked the link. Maybe Damon Albarn got up that morning and thought "I really have something to say about Morrissey!" (They really should leave John Lydon alone or he might appear out of a puff of smoke and tell everyone that The Clash were bullshit.)

Okay, clicked the link now. It appears to be about nothing but Morrissey. While I doubt Damon Albarn regrets what he said, as it's not really that damning of anyone, I would imagine that he was tricked. The fact that Paul Simonon was there as well would lead me to believe that he probably was publicizing some project and didn't jsut happen to grab Paul and go talk about Morrissey. I imagine that was part of a longer interview that was actually intended to move some product, but outrage over Morrissey seems to get clicks and sell papers.
Okay, now I do not exactly blame the journalists completely. It's not that they should never talk about Morrissey. He is totally responsible for that. It's ironic that Morrissey will ask "Where were the parents" about a 14 year old boy victimized by a serial sex offender, but then when someone asks him a question, with all of his years in the business, we're supposed to feel he is a victim? Where was the publicist?
No, it's Morrissey's fault that he is in this mess to the extent that he is in his right mind.
But the point is most of these people who have commented on it were meeting with a journalist to publicize a record or a tour. They were not trying to set up a campaign to crucify Morrissey. And unless they are all drunk I don't know why they answer these questions. But they probably want to have that access to the press. They probably still think that playing ball with the NME will get them some attention when they tour and maybe help get a better album review. And they don't want to seem like they have something to hide when asked about Morrissey. But I don't think that they go to an interview with the intention of discussing things which really have zero to do with them. It's lazy journalism and I think they just answer the question, usually in very mild terms, not realizing that this is the focus of the article.

you never knew Bowie used to give the Nazi salute while standing in the back of big black limousine?
WTF?o_O
thats kind of big gap in your abstraction grid.:straightface:

Everybody knows about the interviews where Bowie said the UK needed the fascism. Back in the day
when he made the sauerkraut records.:frowning:

:poutingcat:Nobody remembers, when you get woke you get to forget all type of abstractions.:sunglasses:

DA is not fat and bald
only if you are BLIND::lbf:

p073jmp9.jpg

as round as Bernard and as bald as :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:. from this photo i have the abstraction
that he is still toothless, a toothless twat.:openmouth:
He has the most annoying upper class accent. I thought the above picture showed a homeless guy who was just offered to stay in Fritzl's basement.

In some respects very valid points. But we must look at some facts and I cannot speak for Morrissey and this is my opinion.

It doesn't matter where someone lives. If they are English/British whenever they return they see changes to the area they were brought up in. I remember Manchester in late 8os and remember how it was. When I return back to my hometown in Wales I can immediately see the differences to my childhood. My hometown has lost its identity. It was a working class town and now it's a ghost town with Polish shops everywhere. Its heritage has been lost. It had the most pubs in Wales for a town at one point in my lifetime. It had a Steel works on its door step employing thousands. Thatcher and what followed destroyed its community.

So I dont live in Wales and live in Manchester. The reason I moved here was diversity as I wanted to be around ethnic culture. Even the culture I wanted to be around is now the minority.

Morrissey has the right to comment wherever he lives.

Amen to that, them two twats saying that is just ridiculous,who the hell do they think they are. Nigel, Thank you!

Jason

He has the most annoying upper class accent. I thought the above picture showed a homeless guy who was just offered to stay in Fritzl's basement.

Yes he does. It may be due to the wind snipping thru his toothless gap. Here is a very recent photo.
He is super fat. Hes rounder than Bernard-hard to believe but true, and has but a little puff of hair left. Poor bald knob.:oops:

MPG-2019-Damon-Albarn-James-Ford@1400x1050.jpg

So we shouldn't have an opinion on Syrian atrocities and genocide and famine in some countries just because we do not live there?

Damon Albarn does not analize for a second the reason why Morrissey lives outside the country.

you never knew Bowie used to give the Nazi salute while standing in the back of big black limousine?
WTF?o_O
thats kind of big gap in your abstraction grid.:straightface:

Everybody knows about the interviews where Bowie said the UK needed the fascism. Back in the day
when he made the sauerkraut records.:frowning:

:poutingcat:Nobody remembers, when you get woke you get to forget all type of abstractions.:sunglasses:
That is in reply to some links where David Bowie was talking about Scottish independence decades later.
Yes everyone knows David Bowie was fascinated by Hitler for a while.
You're misrepresenting the situation about the "Nazi salute" of course, but :thumb:

That is in reply to some links where David Bowie was talking about Scottish independence decades later.
Yes everyone knows David Bowie was fascinated by Hitler for a while.
You're misrepresenting the situation about the "Nazi salute" of course, but :thumb:

o_O
misrepresenting the Nazi salute???:straightface:
what kind of thing is that say? I thought you were WOKE:lbf:

next thing im going to hear is that those white twats at the "NEW ORDER"
non sold out gig giving the salute were also misrepresented:lbf:

everybody but Moz seems to get misrepresnted.:straightface:

either way with that knob DA super bald and super fat, it wasnt Moz in the glass house.:lbf:

Damon Albarn does not analize for a second the reason why Morrissey lives outside the country.
Cos he's a tax-dodging c***. Not complicated, really.

It's analyse, with a y, BTW. I wouldn't mention it except your version is a little bit rude.

Cos he's a tax-dodging c***. Not complicated, really.

It's analyse, with a y, BTW. I wouldn't mention it except your version is a little bit rude.

LOL, it is. Well, I mixed at least three languages in that word, my bad. But you can't deny it was poetic.:lbf:

o_O
misrepresenting the Nazi salute???:straightface:
what kind of thing is that say? I thought you were WOKE:lbf:

next thing im going to hear is that those white twats at the "NEW ORDER"
non sold out gig giving the salute were also misrepresented:lbf:

everybody but Moz seems to get misrepresnted.:straightface:

either way with that knob DA super bald and super fat, it wasnt Moz in the glass house.:lbf:

Yes, "misrepresenting the Nazi salute." You said that he "used to give the Nazi salute." This implies it is something that happened more than once, and is an established fact. You have misrepresented it.
In fact, there is a photo where it is claimed that he is making this gesture. It happened once. He said that the photo catches him waving at the crowds and that he was not actually "making a Nazi salute."
Maybe he did.
NME.jpeg

or maybe he was waving at the crowds.
bowie-victoria.jpg

Did he do it all the time so that we can be sure?
616zcPw%2BLhL.jpg

Not sure.
He did say some things about Adolf Hitler that might lead one to believe he did this on purpose. He talked about it quite a bit so you can decide for yourself. I could make a case either way.

Now, what was the point?

I think it's clear that Bowie was kinda interested in Third Reich imagery for a while during the Thin White Duke phase, lets face it, with the blond hair and waifish physique he would've made an excellent Nazi. Was it a Nazi salute? Debatable and not really conclusive either way, that Mercedes though is fantastic.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom