Damien Dempsey "To Hell And Barbados"

Yep I have the album and all his previous releases. The guy has an almighty stage presence. He sings in his own accent i.e strong Dublin accent and his shows rival Moz's shows for intensity and crowd worship. I think he learnt a lot from touring with Morrissey during quarry. He released a live album recorded Xmas 05 in the Olympia during the summer and it captures the man the performance the songs and the crowd at their best. He came on to There is a light that never goes out. Would recommend Shots and Seize the Day as his top 2 studio albums and the new one is also quality. Cant go wrong with the live album as a starter for newbies

Legend

cossy:):)

Last edited:
Damo is right up there with Moz as one my favourite artists, saw him at Christmas time and a couple of weeks ago too and he was brilliant. I was originally put off by his voice and perceived it as a bit of a joke but having heard 'Hold Me' which is on his Shots album, I decided to investigate further and I'm glad I did! His lyrics and melodies are fantastic and even more so on his latest album - highly recommended!

Damo is right up there with Moz as one my favourite artists, saw him at Christmas time and a couple of weeks ago too and he was brilliant. I was originally put off by his voice and perceived it as a bit of a joke but having heard 'Hold Me' which is on his Shots album, I decided to investigate further and I'm glad I did! His lyrics and melodies are fantastic and even more so on his latest album - highly recommended!

Total agree Maximo

I have the new album and can upload but would rather people BUY this album
and support DAMO

cossy

No no deffoe one to buy. Soon when I live alone loaned by the MAN (but its My New House) all I will have is my records and I can listen alone, as you should.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I only recently discovered Damien, albeit through Sinéad O'Connor (whose sang backing vocals on several songs on Seize the Day and has a duet with him on her Collaborations disc). I had no idea that he was once on Attack, but when I saw the CD cover, I knew that I'd seen him somewhere before. It also turns out that he's now going to open for Sinéad at several of her North American shows, including the one that I already had tickets to. My little find of the day.

I found Shots in a music shop a few weeks ago and i cant stop listening to it, it really is an awesome album. Its just got so many beautiful songs on. ive just bought To Hell Or Barbados and its sounding pretty damn gd! He really does deserve to be big in England. His lyrics are fantastic.

I found Shots in a music shop a few weeks ago and i cant stop listening to it, it really is an awesome album. Its just got so many beautiful songs on. ive just bought To Hell Or Barbados and its sounding pretty damn gd! He really does deserve to be big in England. His lyrics are fantastic.

DAMO is quite simply a legend great voice great lyrics and fantastic live shows

Here is one of my favs from his album Live at the Olympia also apparantly Mozs favourite song
Its all good Play it loud Love yourself today ok

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncelzj

cossy

DAMO is quite simply a legend great voice great lyrics and fantastic live shows

Here is one of my favs from his album Live at the Olympia also apparantly Mozs favourite song
Its all good Play it loud Love yourself today ok

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncelzj

cossy

That is an amazing song. I have it in three versions already; thanks for the live one. I hope that he & Sinead perform it live together when I see them next month.

Edit: is that the crowd singing along? Was it that big a hit in Ireland?

His live album is available here only as an import. Damn.

Last edited:
That is an amazing song. I have it in three versions already; thanks for the live one. I hope that he & Sinead perform it live together when I see them next month.

Edit: is that the crowd singing along? Was it that big a hit in Ireland?

His live album is available here only as an import. Damn.

Yep that was the crowd(and me) he came on to there is a light that never goes out which was a nice nod to Moz. The song was never played on Irish radio Its his hardcore following that buy the records

If its only available on import in your country its only fair I give you one more song ...cos Im a nice guy:)

Colony

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5s6n9r

just listen to the crowd

cossy

Last edited:
Yep that was the crowd(and me) he came on to there is a light that never goes out which was a nice nod to Moz. The song was never played on Irish radio Its his hardcore following that buy the records

If its only available on import in your country its only fair I give you one more song ...cos Im a nice guy:)

Colony

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5s6n9r

just listen to the crowd

Thanks again. I detect a theme in his lyrics... ;) Actually, these live recordings answer one of the first questions that I had when I listened to Seize the Day--how does the anti-English sentiment play in Ireland?

Thanks again. I detect a theme in his lyrics... ;) Actually, these live recordings answer one of the first questions that I had when I listened to Seize the Day--how does the anti-English sentiment play in Ireland?

I think the anti-english sentiment is not overlown in Ireland. His songs are based during Ireland in the bad times under British Rule ala Oliver Cromwell in Irish Blood. But he can write a very decent catchy song. This one about drugs and then I am gone

Party On
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oiv8ak

P.S.

Sinead and himself were together i.e an item briefly during Shots but i never told ya that...:D..he told me:)

I think the anti-english sentiment is not overlown in Ireland. His songs are based during Ireland in the bad times under British Rule ala Oliver Cromwell in Irish Blood. But he can write a very decent catchy song. This one about drugs and then I am gone

Many thanks again.

P.S.

Sinead and himself were together i.e an item briefly during Shots but i never told ya that...:D..he told me:)

That's not surprising. Hasn't she been an item with just about everyone over there at one time or another? And then written an album about it?

Cossy thanks for the the live track! its fantastic, me thinks i shall be buying this live album! I really wish he had been the support act when i saw Moz instead of Kristeen Young! He sounds fantastic live.

To Hell or Barbados is going to be re-issued in an expanded format on November 2nd, with 8 extra tracks (b-sides & rarities). I assume that this will be only in Ireland & the UK, as I asked him about it personally after his set here in DC on the 24th, and he didn't think that the US was going to get it. Since I don't have a regular copy of THoB yet anyway, I'll wait til the 2nd & order it with the Live at the Olympia CD that cossy's been talking about.

Surprisingly, he played only one track ("Maasai") from this when I saw him, even though it's his most recent release, and his only one so far that was released at about the same time here as in Ireland & the UK.

Back
Top Bottom