Dallas, TX - Majestic Theater (May 22, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Speedway / Ganglord / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Bullfighter Dies / Hand In Glove / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Yes, I Am Blind / Meat Is Murder / The National Front Disco // Asleep / First Of The Gang To Die

set list provided by Abrahán.

• Review: Morrissey at Majestic Theatre by Preston Jones - DFW.com. Link posted by CrystalGeezer.
  • Glad to be unhappy: Morrissey celebrates his birthday with majestic show at Majestic by Robert Wilonsky, photos by Jason Janik (8 total) - Dallas Morning News. Link posted by an anonymous person.

dallas.jpg

Last edited:
Moz we love you but please stop playing Meat Is Murder live - it's just about ok as the closing song on a great album but live it's turgid and dreary. I suppose it provides ample opportunity to pop out to the toilet but, come on, your audience deserve better.

Moz we love you, - please go on playing Meat Is Murder live - the live version, with the film running on the backdrop, is powerful, stunning and important. It turned me vegetarian in seconds in Perth 2011.

The Dallas crowd was lame. Just got back. No surprises. Same set as Lawrence. They did sell a birthday shirt but it was only in a small or medium. It said "Legend" and had his birthdate on it but no picture of himself. Was in the mezzanine and most of the people just sat on there asses and didn't want to get up. He sang well and the band played there asses off to a really boring audience. Felt bad for him since it was his birthday. They did show the Peta "Someday" animated short (which features "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday") after Kristeen Young's set. Have they shown this before at a show or is this the first time showing it live? Cute and sad at the same time. Only one guy made it on stage at the end but security pushed his ass back into the front row. This is my 8th time seeing him live in 23 years and it was the most lame crowd ever. I will be curious to see what others think. BTW, don't expect any You Tube clips or many photos from this show. The ushers made sure that if you even had your phone out looking at anything you had to put it up let alone try to film a song. That was not happening at the majestic tonite.

Interesting take. We were downstairs in the orchestra level near the sound board and literally everybody stood the whole time. Also, the security downstairs had absolutely zero issue with people taking photos, filming, etc.

5 days!! 5 days!! Nashville!! Can't wait!! <3

- - - Updated - - -

5 DAYS!! 5 DAYS!! NASHVILLE!! CAN'T WAIT!! <3

Moz we love you but please stop playing Meat Is Murder live - it's just about ok as the closing song on a great album but live it's turgid and dreary. I suppose it provides ample opportunity to pop out to the toilet but, come on, your audience deserve better.

"Meat is Murder" may not be a huge favorite of mine - however - clearly, it's an important song to him. He's played it for what appears to be almost every show of his tour thus far. Sometimes it's nice to see an artist preform songs that they most dearly want to instead of playing all of their greatest hits just because they know the crowd wants to hear it. I wouldn't go to a Morrissey show to watch him sing what I want him to sing. Some people simply just want to see Morrissey - and that's the way it should be. His fans "deserve better"? I'm sure many of his fans would agree that they're glad he's still preforming Smiths songs regardless - let alone, that he's still touring in the first place.

Disappointed in the reader/fan reviews of his birthday show--and all shows on this and the last couple tours--thus far. The night--and this tour--should have been exciting and dangerous (figuratively, not literally), but we have to look towards Morrissey's decision making in regards to the setlist...

Ganglord
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Life Is A Pigsty
Trouble Loves Me
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Yes, I Am Blind
Meat Is Murder
Asleep

When close to half of your setlist comprises of ballads and torch songs, and there's no variety from city to city, it just makes it difficult for a crowd to muster up any sort of enthusiasm.

Asleep was beautiful and his voice was in too form
The acoustics were excellent. boz seems to be doing less lead work theses days.
No more "morrissey" chant for encores?
The crowd was indeed very tame and only one guy tried to get on stage.
I was on of the few dancing but I'll take a tame crowd over some of the other incidents on the tour. Glad national front was back. Don't real any concerted happy bday chant. All in all great show

The night--and this tour--should have been exciting and dangerous (figuratively, not literally)

Morrissey NEVER changes things up wildly for his birthday shows. Even for his big 50th anniversary show, which everyone was killing themselves queuing up for days to get in, and wondering what 'surprises' were going to be in store - the setlist turned out to be the same as normal.

Asleep was beautiful and his voice was in too form
The acoustics were excellent. boz seems to be doing less lead work theses days.
No more "morrissey" chant for encores?
The crowd was indeed very tame and only one guy tried to get on stage.
I was on of the few dancing but I'll take a tame crowd over some of the other incidents on the tour. Glad national front was back. Don't real any concerted happy bday chant. All in all great show
I recall when I last saw Moz, that when he played National Front Disco and he got the 'england for the english' bit, loads of lunkheads would chant along whilst doing the nazi salute. I wonder if this still happens? (not in the States obviously)

This is an absolutely awful video but the sound is okay and it captures a bit of the atmosphere.

The Majestic is one of the most charming venues out there. I prefer general admission atmospheres, but those that had pit tickets were really close. My only issue there is that the ushers kind of castrate the whole experience, though they are more forgiving in other aspects (i.e. if you just want to stand in the aisles when seeing no reason to slide across a bunch of people to return to your seats, stretch your legs a bit and enjoy the air, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dallas crowd was lame. Just got back. No surprises. Same set as Lawrence. They did sell a birthday shirt but it was only in a small or medium. It said "Legend" and had his birthdate on it but no picture of himself. Was in the mezzanine and most of the people just sat on there asses and didn't want to get up. He sang well and the band played there asses off to a really boring audience. Felt bad for him since it was his birthday. They did show the Peta "Someday" animated short (which features "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday") after Kristeen Young's set. Have they shown this before at a show or is this the first time showing it live? Cute and sad at the same time. Only one guy made it on stage at the end but security pushed his ass back into the front row. This is my 8th time seeing him live in 23 years and it was the most lame crowd ever. I will be curious to see what others think. BTW, don't expect any You Tube clips or many photos from this show. The ushers made sure that if you even had your phone out looking at anything you had to put it up let alone try to film a song. That was not happening at the majestic tonite.

Indeed the crowd was lame, filled with yuppies & people wearing too much cologne. I drove up from Houston to see Johnny perform here in Dallas, & his crowd was much more into the music & hip.

fun little breakdown in the middle of Everyday....enjoyed the show...sounded great!

thanks for the video! sounds like a great venue.

i must ask, however, what is with people filming things on iphones that are still in an upright position?? surely everyone who does this must realize that every medium you would view this in (tvs, computer screens, even the youtube viewing window) are horizontally oriented. i'll never understand why people don't just turn the blasted things sideways when recording videos.
such a big pet peave for me. and surely i'm not the only one?

i must ask, however, what is with people filming things on iphones that are still in an upright position?? surely everyone who does this must realize that every medium you would view this in (tvs, computer screens, even the youtube viewing window) are horizontally oriented. i'll never understand why people don't just turn the blasted things sideways when recording videos.

You are NOT alone. I despise VVS!

Why doesn't apple just put the horizontal cam on while the phone is flipped vertical? Or at least give users the option of holding their phone vertical and taking a horizontal shot. It seems like an easy technological fix.

VVS was in full effect last night with those damn ushers. My aperture like most is at the top of my phone, so vertical let me keep it elevated lower and completely in front of me to avoid screen light and a potential headmaster ritual. :\

Any boring spoken words between songs ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

What is it with these loud mouhed yanks feeling the need to shout when Moz is singing Asleep? They really are a despicable race of people

I'm sorry Rivum....you're right, it's annoying but I took that vid inadvertently. I brought up my phone to snap a pic and in my excitement, I switched to video somehow and ended up recording....when I realized it, I just left my phone in that position; recording....so that's why I got just the last half of the tune....didn't realize what I had recorded until this morning while scrolling thru my pics.....but I was pleasantly surprised to catch that little change in Everyday......

thanks for the video! sounds like a great venue.

"Meat is Murder" may not be a huge favorite of mine - however - clearly, it's an important song to him. He's played it for what appears to be almost every show of his tour thus far. Sometimes it's nice to see an artist preform songs that they most dearly want to instead of playing all of their greatest hits just because they know the crowd wants to hear it. I wouldn't go to a Morrissey show to watch him sing what I want him to sing. Some people simply just want to see Morrissey - and that's the way it should be. His fans "deserve better"? I'm sure many of his fans would agree that they're glad he's still preforming Smiths songs regardless - let alone, that he's still touring in the first place.

I think the live version is an ok song and the current arrangement is better than The Smiths live version (personal preference, I know it's not a popular opinion).

I have no interest in becoming a non-meat eater and the fact that he's played it so much on the last bunch of tours has me pretty bored with it. I would estimate I've seen him play it at least 20 times.

If I had a choice.. Meat is Murder is in the setlist or the setlist is one song shorter, I would rather hear the song again.

I think as fans we do deserve better than to hear "To Live" because it's a boring song and completely kills the crowd and he has so many songs we as a whole would love to hear that he wrote.

I'm also not thrilled with these 17 song sets. I hope he gets the number back up to 20 by the time he hits the east coast but I am not very optimistic about that happening.

I was thinking today about past tours and the hit/nonhit ratio of this set. Is this the most diehard fan set of any tour thus far? Last night had six singles (that's including World Peace which shouldn't count really). Of the three Smiths songs only one was a single. Now, I'm fine with this set having gems like Trouble, Blind, Sunday, Pigsty etc. Just interesting that with a new label and something to prove (again), there wouldn't be more singalong moments. Maybe Boxers tour was more heavy on album tracks? Maybe. A few of the past tours with just as few singles still had b-sides that were more familiar (Hairdresser, Sister I'm A Poet, Jack The Ripper). Just a thought.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom