Daily Mail Morrissey article "Bonfire Of Teenagers" & Manchester Bombing (October 27, 2022)

Richard LittleJohn best know as the conservative poster boy reviews Morrissey Bonfire of teenagers.

RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Why should we go easy on Islamist killers? Singer Morrissey rejects the ubiquitous 'turn another cheek' response. And quite right, too - dailymail.co.uk

But sadly I feel it misses the point & makes him out to be some sort of pop star for the Far Right.

But again what do you expect from the Daily Mail.

October 29, 2022:
Now a Central post:

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about the context. It's a Manchester gig. He's from Manchester. It could have been him or his friends or family or whoever from the local area getting killed, just for going to enjoy music. It could have been his fans. He's mocking/chastising local Manchester musicians for suggesting not to be angry. He's an angry man; always has been. The tragedy touched a musical, local chord in the man, as did the local artistic reaction. He's always stood up for victims, from Suffer Little Children on, because he has, to a certain degree, a victim mentality, at least in understanding victimhood. I don't mean that as an insult, or to belittle him; he's a strong person. Plus it was vile and unjustifiable. Kids going to see their fave artist. There are a million ways to look at it from his perspective.
Good points. Also, he's a singer, who holds concerts, in Manchester :paranoid:

He's written a song about someone who feels angry & is surrounded by people telling them not to feel angry.

If he was talking about the thing you want him to talk about you would have a quote of him talking about it.
Thanks to you, Malarkey for firmly demonstrating that in at least a personal capacity, and consistently over his life and in his actions, Morrissey is not racist or against immigration, but rather of the opposite persuasion. Given his failure to resist some identification with press opinions at odds with that stance though, it seems we’re still left with some questions hanging?

First, the article here is a succinct general primer on UK racism 101.

Next, I’ve looked back over Dave Fanning’s interview for any clues on what’s going on with him at all at all. We have the direct question, which reveals nothing new:

DF: Oasis has a backdrop of a British flag on their stage…the Spice Girls did the same thing. You did it before all that and you were called racist. Do you ever think they’re out to get you?

M: Well, they simply were. I don’t think anybody thought I was remotely racist. I mean, the NME put me on the cover and said “He is racist”. But I think if the NME really believed I was racist, they wouldn’t stick me on the cover, because groups who really ARE racist, they don’t receive any attention in the media, so I think it would be really irresponsible of the NME or anybody who believed I was racist, to stick me all over the place, saying “he’s racist”- because then I could capitalise upon it and get all of these people together and do all of these…fascinating things. But I’ve never felt remotely racist, and I don’t think people ever believed I was. But the editor of the NME at the time wanted to get rid of me and they find something…I never responded to them and it went on and on and on and on…and they blew it up, and they had to make it more, because otherwise, they would look very, very silly. And I think eventually they did look silly- I think the NME in the ‘90’s declined- they lost lots of readers. People no longer had any faith in the weekly press- and look at the weekly music press now- it’s gone! And the NME are struggling for their lives! Mind you, they have a new editor now, and they have new writers, but in the ‘90’s, it was…the NME just killed itself…

And then, two indirect questions, yielding replies that potentially have more of a bearing:

M: if you play the fame game then you just have to dive in and you have to be orchestrated somehow and if you don’t- if you’re uncontrollable- then people say you’re a problem. And if people can’t get one over on you, they say you’re a problem and you’re awkward. But it just means that they don’t really get away with anything where you’re concerned, so then they say you’re really difficult…

M: Anything written about me, I don’t collect it. But, certainly earlier on, it’s fascinating to be dissected, because this is really all you’ve ever wanted and there, it happens…and it’s fascinating because I began to buy the music press in 1969 and I would never miss. And if I’d go on holiday, I’d order everything, so that when I returned 6 weeks later, there were 75 magazines waiting for me. And I was more than a typical pop kid, I was just dangerously obsessed with all that. And given the alternatives in life, it’s not been so bad…

Morrissey expresses awareness that he does things his way, whether to others’ inconvenience or not, and then, he admits to being dangerously obsessed with his portrayal in the media. So could this be the nub of it? As even borne out just days ago by his response to the Daily Mail article, linking him too closely for comfort with the very theme that nearly ruined him and sent fans, peers and record labels packing in recent years? And still, instead of doing what to most of us in the circumstances seems the obviously sensible thing to do i.e. distance himself, he gives the impression of being delighted with the mention on his official internet station!

If he’s featuring less in the press these days, then some attention could presumably be welcome, except that all attention is not equal. Or does the bold Morrissey think it is?! ‘What to be done with [him]’?! Which reminds me, wouldn’t a looped clip from this video of the Brixton show opening, from between 37 and 47 seconds, fit well in with the pre-show video mix?! Hopefully someone will make, or has already made, that gif.

So has Morrissey donned risqué ideological poses contradicting his general views before, just to get people talking about him? Though it’s hardly a deliberate tactic, and he says he doesn’t play the fame game, showing he knows what it is, and though he’s often been exceptionally brave, someone should tell him that approving of others spouting the very positions he’s repudiated undermines his denials and casts doubt on his sincerity. Or he should have a word with his PR team if they’ve been given permission to decide what goes out on his behalf. Would that be a fair concern?

Let’s hope he sails through the American leg of the tour without hassle. Has he ever mentioned Greta Thunberg? She is refusing to attend COP27 going on in Egypt at the moment, with attendees renting garments and gnashing teeth over rising temperatures and sea-levels and everything. If Morrissey does feel like doling out political reflections, what better subject could there be than that? People are still confused and in need of some motivation and words of wisdom on the subject. And he’s particularly well qualified. He wouldn’t have to defer to any other authority. He recognised the state of this ‘unhappy planet’ way before most other people, and not only that, but he changed his own behaviour to minimise his individual impact, and also made a point of trying to win people over to more ethical lifestyles. And pretty much everyone cares about saving the environment now. At the Hopfarm Festival in 2011, I remember him making a great little speech praising local farm markets in Kent as if it was the most natural thing in the world. For ages he could see how all these aspects fitted together, including forces of containment, leeches…removing removing removing (from the loss-and-damage perspective) etc, while most of the rest of us are still flailing around off the rails in the dark trying to understand. I mean, hello!

Thanks to you, Malarkey for firmly demonstrating that in at least a personal capacity, and consistently over his life and in his actions, Morrissey is not racist or against immigration, but rather of the opposite persuasion. Given his failure to resist some identification with press opinions at odds with that stance though, it seems we’re still left with some questions hanging?

Next, I’ve looked back over Dave Fanning’s interview for any clues on what’s going on with him at all at all. We have the direct question, which reveals nothing new:

DF: Oasis has a backdrop of a British flag on their stage…the Spice Girls did the same thing. You did it before all that and you were called racist. Do you ever think they’re out to get you?

M: Well, they simply were. I don’t think anybody thought I was remotely racist. I mean, the NME put me on the cover and said “He is racist”. But I think if the NME really believed I was racist, they wouldn’t stick me on the cover, because groups who really ARE racist, they don’t receive any attention in the media, so I think it would be really irresponsible of the NME or anybody who believed I was racist, to stick me all over the place, saying “he’s racist”- because then I could capitalise upon it and get all of these people together and do all of these…fascinating things. But I’ve never felt remotely racist, and I don’t think people ever believed I was. But the editor of the NME at the time wanted to get rid of me and they find something…I never responded to them and it went on and on and on and on…and they blew it up, and they had to make it more, because otherwise, they would look very, very silly. And I think eventually they did look silly- I think the NME in the ‘90’s declined- they lost lots of readers. People no longer had any faith in the weekly press- and look at the weekly music press now- it’s gone! And the NME are struggling for their lives! Mind you, they have a new editor now, and they have new writers, but in the ‘90’s, it was…the NME just killed itself…

And then, two indirect questions, yielding replies that potentially have more of a bearing:

M: if you play the fame game then you just have to dive in and you have to be orchestrated somehow and if you don’t- if you’re uncontrollable- then people say you’re a problem. And if people can’t get one over on you, they say you’re a problem and you’re awkward. But it just means that they don’t really get away with anything where you’re concerned, so then they say you’re really difficult…

M: Anything written about me, I don’t collect it. But, certainly earlier on, it’s fascinating to be dissected, because this is really all you’ve ever wanted and there, it happens…and it’s fascinating because I began to buy the music press in 1969 and I would never miss. And if I’d go on holiday, I’d order everything, so that when I returned 6 weeks later, there were 75 magazines waiting for me. And I was more than a typical pop kid, I was just dangerously obsessed with all that. And given the alternatives in life, it’s not been so bad…

Morrissey expresses awareness that he does things his way, whether to others’ inconvenience or not, and then, he admits to being dangerously obsessed with his portrayal in the media. So could this be the nub of it? As even borne out just days ago by his response to the Daily Mail article, linking him too closely for comfort with the very theme that nearly ruined him and sent fans, peers and record labels packing in recent years? And still, instead of doing what to most of us in the circumstances seems the obviously sensible thing to do i.e. distance himself, he gives the impression of being delighted with the mention on his official internet station!

If he’s featuring less in the press these days, then some attention could presumably be welcome, except that all attention is not equal. Or does the bold Morrissey think it is?! ‘What to be done with [him]’?! Which reminds me, wouldn’t a looped clip from this video of the Brixton show opening, from between 37 and 47 seconds, fit well in with the pre-show video mix?! Hopefully someone will make, or has already made, that gif.

So has Morrissey donned risqué ideological poses contradicting his general views before, just to get people talking about him? Though it’s hardly a deliberate tactic, and he says he doesn’t play the fame game, showing he knows what it is, and though he’s often been exceptionally brave, someone should tell him that approving of others spouting the very positions he’s repudiated undermines his denials and casts doubt on his sincerity. Or he should have a word with his PR team if they’ve been given permission to decide what goes out on his behalf. Would that be a fair concern?

Let’s hope he sails through the American leg of the tour without hassle. Has he ever mentioned Greta Thunberg? She is refusing to attend COP27 going on in Egypt at the moment, with attendees renting garments and gnashing teeth over rising temperatures and sea-levels and everything. If Morrissey does feel like doling out political reflections, what better subject could there be than that? People are still confused and in need of some motivation and words of wisdom on the subject. And he’s particularly well qualified. He wouldn’t have to defer to any other authority. He recognised the state of this ‘unhappy planet’ way before most other people, and not only that, but he changed his own behaviour to minimise his individual impact, and also made a point of trying to win people over to more ethical lifestyles. And pretty much everyone cares about saving the environment now. At the Hopfarm Festival in 2011, I remember him making a great little speech praising local farm markets in Kent as if it was the most natural thing in the world. For ages he could see how all these aspects fitted together, including forces of containment, leeches…removing removing removing (from the loss-and-damage perspective) etc, while most of the rest of us are still flailing around off the rails in the dark trying to understand. I mean, hello!

He hasn't commented on the Daily Mail piece. It's a relative who posts on Central.

The NME/Melody Maker was out to get him in 92.

He has spoken out about climate change, in April 2015. PETA & veganism is his thing though.

We already know that raising animals for food is a leading cause of climate change and that moving toward a vegan diet is necessary to combat climate change’s worst effects. Animal agriculture severely affects the world’s freshwater supply and is a major contributor to global greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, loss of biodiversity, and air and water pollution, among many other harmful effects.

It's an interesting quote. I think he's right that pretty much everyone knows he's not racist. I have no doubt at all that Billy Bragg knows full well Moz isn't racist - it's all just political point scoring.
But to deny that Moz hasn't said some things on immigration that are 'off message', as Karen does with wide-eyed fanaticism, is just absurd. Is it not just possible that Moz, like most people, recognises that there is much about immigration that is good - but also there is much about immigration that is bad. We're just not supposed to say that, of course. But Moz does.

@gashonthenail

In a way yes, but I believe the poster I was replying to used the word ‘local’ in reference to the people of Manchester.
The summary below of the various reactions to the Manchester bombing is interesting. The concert raised at least £10 million. I bloody hope that went to the families. I'm just not sure why the sentiment that it's best not to hold on to negative emotions was so objectionable. The bombing was an act of pure horror. People needed to find healing. It's just a song, after all, about a woman looking back on her life without recrimination.

It's an interesting quote. I think he's right that pretty much everyone knows he's not racist. I have no doubt at all that Billy Bragg knows full well Moz isn't racist - it's all just political point scoring.
But to deny that Moz hasn't said some things on immigration that are 'off message', as Karen does with wide-eyed fanaticism, is just absurd. Is it not just possible that Moz, like most people, recognises that there is much about immigration that is good - but also there is much about immigration that is bad. We're just not supposed to say that, of course. But Moz does.

There you go again.

It was the NME who claimed he had a problem with immigration & he sued.

What he said wasn't out of line with the general consensus, as the Guardian pointed out (28 November 2007) before it hired the NME hack he sued as their music editor. And he didn't say 'much was bad'.

.. in the context of the interview his position is remarkably similar to that adopted by all three mainstream political parties in this country.

There you go again.

It was the NME who claimed he had a problem with immigration & he sued.

What he said wasn't out of line with the general consensus, as the Guardian pointed out (28 November 2007) before it hired the NME hack he sued as their music editor. And he didn't say 'much was bad'.

.. in the context of the interview his position is remarkably similar to that adopted by all three mainstream political parties in this country.
wide-eyed fanaticism, right on cue...

There's a huge difference between being racist and anti immigration. I listened to the Der Spiegel audio again the other day and he definitely said Germany is the rape capital and then complained about immigration. There is no way around it, it is his voice and his words. He also said countries lose their identities and when you go visit a country, you want a certain experience, which you can't have if the identity has been changed.
At times I find Morrissey very irritating because he is extremely hypocritical, and becomes very cowardly when faced with it or when he is called out for it.

There's a huge difference between being racist and anti immigration. I listened to the Der Spiegel audio again the other day and he definitely said Germany is the rape capital and then complained about immigration. There is no way around it, it is his voice and his words. He also said countries lose their identities and when you go visit a country, you want a certain experience, which you can't have if the identity has been changed.
At times I find Morrissey very irritating because he is extremely hypocritical, and becomes very cowardly when faced with it or when he is called out for it.

He was talking about the response to the refugee crisis & she asked him to clarify whether he was against people moving countries & he said no.

JL – So you’re just saying, like, everybody should stay where they are?

Morrissey – No! I don’t think that! You stay where you are? Stop it!

He was talking about the response to the refugee crisis & she asked him to clarify whether he was against people moving countries & he said no.

JL – So you’re just saying, like, everybody should stay where they are?

Morrissey – No! I don’t think that! You stay where you are? Stop it!
That is Morrissey not taking responsibility for what he just said, I listened to the entire thing, cherry picking is not going to erase what he said

That is Morrissey not taking responsibility for what he just said, I listened to the entire thing, cherry picking is not going to erase what he said

He was talking about the refugee crisis - which was a disaster.

She asked him to clarify & he clarified.

He was talking about the refugee crisis - which was a disaster.

She asked him to clarify & he clarified.
I said I listened, I am not doing this with you. Morrissey is not a perfect angel who is victimized, he creates plenty of his own problems.

It's jealousy with Billy Bragg, cos he knows he will never be as legendary as Moz. Plus he's annoying leftist hyper-PC c***; always has been, always will be.

The 'climate change' issue is another interesting one. It does feel like it has become an absolute article of faith for the woke. The end of the world is nigh! It is taught to our kids in school now in the same way we used to teach kids about religion. Not sure if that is progress?
Morrissey is a vegetarian, as we all know. I am too. I think most people who are vegetarian think about what they eat, what is in our food, what is being dumped into our rivers, and pumped into out air, how we treat our planet. To be honest I think plastics in the oceans, falling male fertility, and anti-biotic resistance are more pressing issues for human civilisation than climate change.
The whole 'carbon neutral' agenda is a total scam. I think most people watch world leaders flying off to Cop27 in their jets and realise they are being played. Prince Charles, sorry, King Charles, is due to make billions from renting coastal seabeds to wind-farm operators. There is huge money to be made by switching investment to renewables - and the same people preaching about the end of the world are the same people who will be reaping the profits. And we will all be paying more for our energy bills to fund their profits. Total scam.
And as for the people gluing themselves to buildings and throwing soup over Van Gogh? Religious zealots. I'm reminded of a quote by Bertrand Russell: I would never die for my beliefs. I might be wrong.
We should teach that to kids in school.

This ‘local gesture of pain, loss …’?

And, of course, at Morrissey gigs when very real and raw themes of pain and loss are addressed everyone clasps there hands, looks down, sheds tears and generally looks like death warmed up?

Or is there a shared sense of occasion, a mutual warmth, and (god forbid) swapped smiles and some moronic swaying? And perhaps the odd scrap when the injury of a spilt pint evidently becomes more emotive and important than (say) 23 fatalities in an avoidable Munich plane crash?

When discussing the themes of BOT with my kids, I mentioned that Morrissey believed that a re-release of Throwing my Arms Around Paris was an appropriate response to the massacre in France. Their jaws then dropped at the audacity of his current complaints about the use of the Oasis song. But they also recognised the feeling of an unraveling as increasingly indicative of ‘The World of Morrissey’.

Redacted mentioned that Morrissey makes his own problems; he does indeed set his own traps and throws himself on them. It always makes for a curious ride (and he’s always done this), but as one gets more mature it gets harder to play along and pretend not to notice that you saw him personally laying the snare earlier. Ultimately, the only person who is really out to get Morrissey is Morrissey.

And, of course, at Morrissey gigs when very real and raw themes of pain and loss are addressed everyone clasps there hands, looks down, sheds tears and generally looks like death warmed up?
I don’t know about that the death warmed up bit, but I’ve cried at shows I’ve seen many cry at Morrissey shows.
Or is there a shared sense of occasion, a mutual warmth, and (god forbid) swapped smiles and some moronic swaying? And perhaps the odd scrap when the injury of a spilt pint evidently becomes more emotive and important than (say) 23 fatalities in an avoidable Munich plane crash?
Yes crying and the above too.
When discussing the themes of BOT with my kids, I mentioned that Morrissey believed that a re-release of Throwing my Arms Around Paris was an appropriate response to the massacre in France. Their jaws then dropped at the audacity of his current complaints about the use of the Oasis song. But they also recognised the feeling of an unraveling as increasingly indicative of ‘The World of Morrissey’.
🤪
Redacted mentioned that Morrissey makes his own problems; he does indeed set his own traps and throws himself on them.
don’t we all? No one’s perfect. He’s a big boy, he’ll, as always, carry on.
It always makes for a curious ride (and he’s always done this), but as one gets more mature it gets harder to play along and pretend not to notice that you saw him personally laying the snare earlier. Ultimately, the only person who is really out to get Morrissey is Morrissey.
No one’s perfect. He’s a big boy, he’ll, as always, carry on. If you feel that you’ve matured to the point where you find it harder to ‘play along’, if playing along is what you’ve always been doing (and why?) then I guess you’re smarter now ( a clever swine?) or more evolved than the rest (lol) and maybe, just maybe, it’s time for you to move on. Maybe your kids can advise you on this.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom