Daily Mail Morrissey article "Bonfire Of Teenagers" & Manchester Bombing (October 27, 2022)

Richard LittleJohn best know as the conservative poster boy reviews Morrissey Bonfire of teenagers.

RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Why should we go easy on Islamist killers? Singer Morrissey rejects the ubiquitous 'turn another cheek' response. And quite right, too - dailymail.co.uk

But sadly I feel it misses the point & makes him out to be some sort of pop star for the Far Right.

But again what do you expect from the Daily Mail.

October 29, 2022:
Now a Central post:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about liking or not liking anyone. It's nothing to do with race. It's about numbers and tipping points - and culture and community. Morrissey is enamoured with British working class culture from the 1960s for a reason. Not because it was perfect - because it was his.
These people who cannot tolerate even the existence of a discussion about immigration really need to learn a thing or two. Immigration to them is some sacred cow infallible to any criticism whatsoever. Anything deemed so sacred that it is seen to be above reproach or post mortem eventually becomes a forbidden zone. In short if one can't talk about it then it's broken. You could ask these people how much immigration is too much and their answer would be nonsensical. Anything deemed that perfect has some serious malfunctions in the software that they're afraid to admit exists.

It's not about liking or not liking anyone. It's nothing to do with race. It's about numbers and tipping points - and culture and community. Morrissey is enamoured with British working class culture from the 1960s for a reason. Not because it was perfect - because it was his.

He grew up in an Irish Catholic immigrant community.

The point being - it's another album with a familiar row that has never ended well for him in the past.

All of the above^^

Anyone who can't engage with this conversation without playing the race card needs to school up or drop out.
They don't want to debate the subject. They want to shout about racism and hating immigrants and shut down any discussion - because they know that public opinion and reason and common sense are against them.

Instead of talking about his great voice or the good sales or the whole album - the conversation is now back to him opposing immigration, being against diversity, hating Muslims - whatever spin someone puts on it.

And it's obviously what Central wants the conversation to be about - so reviews are likely to be muted or bad, sales will be low & airplay will be zero.
I actually often agree with you but god you are annoyingly dramatic and hysterical sometimes. One article in which nothing much is said and you're about ready to jump off a bridge because Sam posted it on Central. Give it a rest.

What do you want to happen?
What the vast majority of people living in these islands wants to happen - a sensible, rational conversation about how to have controlled immigration, not uncontrolled immigration. The Labour Party say they want that too. If they came up with some effective ideas how to do it - they would storm the next general election. Instead, they risk blowing it. They can't rely on this wave of resentment against the Tories lasting indefinitely. And the really sad thing is - if the mainstream parties don't talk about this subject - all they do is drive working class people into the arms of the far right. I think we can agree on something - that really would be a tragedy.

What's wrong with Britain is far too many people read what this nasty bastard writes in his columns every week and take it for gospel. He's far worse than 'a little pompous' - he's a hate-mongering, shit-stirring, vile hypocrite with zero self-awareness and even less moral fibre.

This is a man who has spent the last two years writing vicious articles denouncing anyone working from home as a workshy layabout who spends all day eating biscuits and watching TV in their pyjamas. He conveniently neglects to mention that he himself works from home (sometimes his home in London, sometimes his beachside home in Florida) and has done since the 1980s.

Here's a good rule of thumb I learned from my father and it's stood me well in life: If Richard Littlejohn likes it, it's got to be bad.
Exactly this. Littlejohn is a vicious, hate-mongering bastard and articles like this have been the 'bread and butter' of his career, it has nothing much to do with Morrissey.

He grew up in an Irish Catholic immigrant community.

The point being - it's another album with a familiar row that has never ended well for him in the past.
Exactly this. Littlejohn is a vicious, hate-mongering bastard and articles like this have been the 'bread and butter' of his career, it has nothing much to do with Morrissey.

He’s a prick. End of. I speak as someone who met, and liked, Gary Bushell (at a Morrissey gig).

I actually often agree with you but god you are annoyingly dramatic and hysterical sometimes. One article in which nothing much is said and you're about ready to jump off a bridge because Sam posted it on Central. Give it a rest.

There's no emotional words in the post !

I just think it's going to be an uphill battle to improve his image beyond his core fanbase if Central keeps reinforcing the narrative that he has a problem with non-white immigrants & has gone fash by posting YouTubers & journalists widely believed to be loathsome.

What the vast majority of people living in these islands wants to happen - a sensible, rational conversation about how to have controlled immigration, not uncontrolled immigration. The Labour Party say they want that too. If they came up with some effective ideas how to do it - they would storm the next general election. Instead, they risk blowing it. They can't rely on this wave of resentment against the Tories lasting indefinitely. And the really sad thing is - if the mainstream parties don't talk about this subject - all they do is drive working class people into the arms of the far right. I think we can agree on something - that really would be a tragedy.

There is a conversation - what do you actually want.

There's no emotional words in the post !

I just think it's going to be an uphill battle to improve his image beyond his core fanbase if Central keeps reinforcing the narrative that he has a problem with non-white immigrants & has gone fash by posting YouTubers & journalists widely believed to be loathsome.
When trying to prove you're not emotional, It's best not to end your sentences with an exclamation mark. The only way you could come across as more hysterical is if you wrote in all caps. Seriously, no one cares as much about this as you do. Try to relax.

When trying to prove you're not emotional, It's best not to end your sentences with an exclamation mark. The only way you could come across as more hysterical is if you wrote in all caps. Seriously, no one cares as much about this as you do. Try to relax.

I was surprised at your interpretation.

To the surprise of very few, Malarkey is once again hitting the nail on the head. M Central is reinforcing the narrative and the end result is sadly already as obvious as snow. One can only assume that Team Moz relishes the idea of Moz being a far-right poster boy. They do absolutely nothing to challenge this narrative. This will hound him to the grave and beyond.

Not this again. The fcking drama is just over the top.

So, this popped up in my stream and I took it as a sign of the terrible racist Morrissey is and brought it over to prove the point.
ACTUALLY, it's just a reminder of another FALSE allegation of racism and how people were determined to not get the very plainly stated message in this song, it is ANTI RACIST, and Alain does a very nice job with it, sounds great. I love Alain, he is very cool.
The same 'concerns' were parrotted by Malarkey all summer long, relentlessly. She only comes here to do that.
Moz then went on to have a great tour and get a record deal, so I really think it is a waste of enery to entertain her when does this.
Relax, let Alain sing for you, it's very soothing.

To the surprise of very few, Malarkey is once again hitting the nail on the head. M Central is reinforcing the narrative and the end result is sadly already as obvious as snow. One can only assume that Team Moz relishes the idea of Moz being a far-right poster boy. They do absolutely nothing to challenge this narrative. This will hound him to the grave and beyond.
I think you're wrong on that. And judging by the huge crowds on the recent tour I think most people out there get Morrissey's stance. Littlejohn is unpleasant but he is hardly far right. But the point surely is this: Littlejohn spouted anti-gay vitriol during the 80s and 90s - but he never got anyone sacked; he never drove anyone out of their job. Whereas the woke left of current times is doing exactly that. Which is more dangerous? To suggest that left = good and right = bad is ridiculous. The really sad thing is that during lockdown the only voices speaking up to criticise the horrendous loss of our freedoms were from those on the right. The left should be ashamed of themselves.
Anyone growing up in the 80s and 90s who believed in freedom was attracted to the left, because they stood against the encroaching power of the state under Thatcher - the Public Order Act, Clause 28, the use of the police as a political force as seen during the miners' strike. Then came Tony Blair and New Labour and it became clear that they were even worse - the invasion of Iraq, plans to introduce ID cards and lock people up for 28 days without trial. Things have changed. Left and right have shifted and things have been turned on their head. The dividing line in politics is no longer left and right - it's those who want more freedom and those who want less. It's clear which side Morrissey is on.

I think you're wrong on that. And judging by the huge crowds on the recent tour I think most people out there get Morrissey's stance. Littlejohn is unpleasant but he is hardly far right. But the point surely is this: Littlejohn spouted anti-gay vitriol during the 80s and 90s - but he never got anyone sacked; he never drove anyone out of their job. Whereas the woke left of current times is doing exactly that. Which is more dangerous? To suggest that left = good and right = bad is ridiculous. The really sad thing is that during lockdown the only voices speaking up to criticise the horrendous loss of our freedoms were from those on the right. The left should be ashamed of themselves.
Anyone growing up in the 80s and 90s who believed in freedom was attracted to the left, because they stood against the encroaching power of the state under Thatcher - the Public Order Act, Clause 28, the use of the police as a political force as seen during the miners' strike. Then came Tony Blair and New Labour and it became clear that they were even worse - the invasion of Iraq, plans to introduce ID cards and lock people up for 28 days without trial. Things have changed. Left and right have shifted and things have been turned on their head. The dividing line in politics is no longer left and right - it's those who want more freedom and those who want less. It's clear which side Morrissey is on.

The crowds are coming back because they don't believe that Morrissey shares your views - which is why it's frustrating that Central keeps taking him back to 2017.

The dividing line in politics is no longer left and right - it's those who want more freedom and those who want less. It's clear which side Morrissey is on.
This, a million times. You made so many other great points, the entire post is so true and so on point, but this is what it's about.
There is no longer a left and right and I could get into a whole discussion about 9/11 and what happened after and how both sides here ended up being exactly the same. Obama and Bush are exactly the same. Anyway, don't want to go too far off topic, but Morrissey is definitely pro freedom, anyone can see that...well, anyone who wants to, anyone who is not in the grips of hysteria of the false narrative.

The crowds are coming back because they don't believe that Morrissey shares your views - which is why it's frustrating that Central keeps taking him back to 2017.
So the crowds are 'coming back' to use your phrase because they think Morrissey is against freedom of expression? Because that ultimately is my view - which I'm glad you purport to know. From my point of view you can be in favour of mass immigration or against mass immigration - I don't mind. I just think you should be allowed to take the latter position without being accursed of being a racist. We may never know Moz's true 'views' on this subject of course - it's all guess work from a series of interviews and onstage comments between songs - but my guess is on this subject his views and my views are in the same ball park. But I could be wrong. Again, ultimately I don't really care if he's pro or contra mass immigration and open borders. I do care though that he has clearly taken a stance in favour of freedom of expression, in these times where it is much easier to say nothing and keep your mouth shut. To speak up takes courage - and courage is commendable.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom