Daily Mail Morrissey article "Bonfire Of Teenagers" & Manchester Bombing (October 27, 2022)

Richard LittleJohn best know as the conservative poster boy reviews Morrissey Bonfire of teenagers.

RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Why should we go easy on Islamist killers? Singer Morrissey rejects the ubiquitous 'turn another cheek' response. And quite right, too - dailymail.co.uk

But sadly I feel it misses the point & makes him out to be some sort of pop star for the Far Right.

But again what do you expect from the Daily Mail.

October 29, 2022:
Now a Central post:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Littlejohn is a massive, massive douchebag.
2. When you put a song like this out into the world, you run the risk of being cheered to the rafters by all sorts of unsavoury characters.
3. I absolutely love the song, as a piece of music and as a provocation - why not write songs about these things? Not sure I agree with the song's sentiments, though. Life is complicated.

Let's remember that in the Manchester bombing case, a security guard witnessed the killer and thought him suspicious, but didn't intervene as he was worried he'd be accused of being racist. That's where this culture of denial has led us, and it's appropriate for Morrissey to call it out.

It's a great song. People can take whatever meaning from it they like. It doesn't make Moz left, middle, right, or upside down. A lot of people would not forgive a killer. I wouldn't. Nobody cares about victims and they have no voice in court when the defense drags out a list of extenuating circumstances why the judge should be lenient. F that. A crime is a crime. Sexual abuse or murder of children or women should be met with the death penalty. You wouldn't let a dog go around biting and mauling people. Same goes for people.

And so is Morrissey recruited by more inciting than insightful commentators. I'd refer people again to Adam Curtis documentaries to show how making snap judgements misses what the West is still doing in far-off places. Without justifying anything. Just repeating what BookishBoy said: things are complicated. You'd wonder if the reason the name is being redacted is really to reduce racist reaction, which would have some merit, or to stop people poking around and thinking about what's driving perpetrators to carry out such atrocities.

Two things I'm reading today illustrate further. One describes how the media avoids reporting on war profiteering, ecological destruction and spread of disease, by countries like Britain in Iraq in this case - https://www.medialens.org/2022/wick...uarantined-evidence-on-bp-and-cancer-in-iraq/
The other is a review of new Irish film, The Banshees of Inisherin - https://www.hotpress.com/film-tv/co...t-that-we-like-each-other-off-camera-22935445 This story is being liked a lot, which is about old friends falling out for reasons that may or may not be 'righteous', and the reviewer notes how powerful interests can capitalise on personal differences to divide people, keep them arguing, distracted and off the track of 'educated criminals [who] work within the law'.

Concern and a wish for justice is probably largely commendable, especially after killings in the home area, the size of which, roughly city-size, is about manageable for human beings to govern. Global could mean too many are losing the good, their good. A way to go to solve that kind of result. Meanwhile, let's be careful, I guess, and God love us all!

It is a song from a right wing perspective. He’s allowed to do that but of course Littlejohn and other Daily Mail writers will be drawn to it. Its a song that distills their world view and sense of nationhood. It’s worthy of current Home Security and right wing reactionary in chief - Cruella Bravermann!!!

The Moz I grew up with in the 1980’s was far more nuanced than this reactionary song.
Sorry to the apologists but he was a bigger more multi sided writer 35+ years ago to my mind

I will you on Moz but come on!

I really don't care about the songs made about tragic events , it's opportunistic and boring to do a song about it when I do not want to remember tragic days. let me mourn my own way..in general . And just sing the songs that made you famous. I don't care about the bonfire or the dint be look back in anger stupidity..I just wanna be happy or depressed happy with your famous songs and more adrenaline happy in your concerts. Please Morrissey.

It is a song from a right wing perspective. He’s allowed to do that but of course Littlejohn and other Daily Mail writers will be drawn to it. Its a song that distills their world view and sense of nationhood. It’s worthy of current Home Security and right wing reactionary in chief - Cruella Bravermann!!!

The Moz I grew up with in the 1980’s was far more nuanced than this reactionary song.
Sorry to the apologists but he was a bigger more multi sided writer 35+ years ago to my mind

I will you on Moz but come on!
His songs about Thatcher, the Queen and meat eating are no more nuanced than Bonfire. Morrissey has never been nuanced when it concerns his personal ethics and political views.

Just self fund the record and let us decide for ourselves FFs

Hear hear!

At the end of the day that’s all that matters the listener and the song and that was already shown in all the love and support he got during the successful UK tour.

he should write a song called getting away with murder because in britain you could literally slit someones throat and the chances of you ending up in the big hoose are almost zero.
littlejohn is a bit pompous but at least his article is bringing whats wrong with britain to the general public.

Let's remember that in the Manchester bombing case, a security guard witnessed the killer and thought him suspicious, but didn't intervene as he was worried he'd be accused of being racist. That's where this culture of denial has led us, and it's appropriate for Morrissey to call it out.
Also important to note that this Security Guard was also a Teenager, working for a union bashing, money grabbing company. He was thrown to the wolves, both on that night and in the Inquiry that later occurred. He was practically a kid himself, ill equipped to deal with such a situation.

And so is Morrissey recruited by more inciting than insightful commentators. I'd refer people again to Adam Curtis documentaries to show how making snap judgements misses what the West is still doing in far-off places. Without justifying anything. Just repeating what BookishBoy said: things are complicated. You'd wonder if the reason the name is being redacted is really to reduce racist reaction, which would have some merit, or to stop people poking around and thinking about what's driving perpetrators to carry out such atrocities.

Two things I'm reading today illustrate further. One describes how the media avoids reporting on war profiteering, ecological destruction and spread of disease, by countries like Britain in Iraq in this case - https://www.medialens.org/2022/wick...uarantined-evidence-on-bp-and-cancer-in-iraq/
The other is a review of new Irish film, The Banshees of Inisherin - https://www.hotpress.com/film-tv/co...t-that-we-like-each-other-off-camera-22935445 This story is being liked a lot, which is about old friends falling out for reasons that may or may not be 'righteous', and the reviewer notes how powerful interests can capitalise on personal differences to divide people, keep them arguing, distracted and off the track of 'educated criminals [who] work within the law'.

Concern and a wish for justice is probably largely commendable, especially after killings in the home area, the size of which, roughly city-size, is about manageable for human beings to govern. Global could mean too many are losing the good, their good. A way to go to solve that kind of result. Meanwhile, let's be careful, I guess, and God love us all!
The Banshees of Inisherin is wonderful. Martin McDonagh as a writer seems to be getting better with each movie he makes. I love the way the script is so pared down that the viewer is free to see in the story all sorts of allusions and allegories on so many different levels. For me, there is an obvious allegory in the movie about the importance of holding on to civility and not 'cancelling' people - because without civility and dialogue human society can very quickly descend into cruelty and barbarism. That is an important message in these troubled times.
I can't imagine Morrissey would be delighted to have the support of Richard Littlejohn. Anyone old enough will remember his rabid anti-gay stance in the 1980s, against the backdrop of Clause 28. But it is an indication of how social attitudes have changed in the past 30 years that Littlejohn would mention Morrissey with praise. And it also an indication perhaps of just how much hatred of the West has grown on the left in the past decade that people as far apart as Morrissey and Littlejohn now seem to find themselves sharing similar ground with regard to their attitude towards the supposed benefits of diversity and cultural relativism.

A great tour pissed up the wall.

The conversation is now about how much he does (or doesn't) hate immigrants.

he should write a song called getting away with murder because in britain you could literally slit someones throat and the chances of you ending up in the big hoose are almost zero.
littlejohn is a bit pompous but at least his article is bringing whats wrong with britain to the general public.

Good trolling. Almost thought you were being serious then, but then I remembered that a Morrissey fan surely couldn't be that f***ing thick.

A great tour pissed up the wall.

The conversation is now about how much he does (or doesn't) hate immigrants.
how can M have anything to do with what a journalist writes,dont get the tour pissed up the wall bit.

Good trolling. Almost thought you were being serious then, but then I remembered that a Morrissey fan surely couldn't be that f***ing thick.
stick that in yer stalins pipe and smoke it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom