dünya dinlemiyor - Smiths karoake project by Phil Collins (2005, part 2: Istanbul) on YouTube

Taken from UbuWeb -

"British artist Phil Collins has made work in conflicted geopolitical sites around the world, including Baghdad, Belfast, Bogotá, and Ramallah, creating nuanced representations of people and places. In a departure from much documentary and site-specific practice, Collins engages politics and pop culture in tandem, often soliciting the participation of the communities in which he works. His video installation dünya dinlemiyor (Turkish for "the world won't listen") features young people in Istanbul performing karaoke versions of songs by the 1980s band The Smiths. Within the politically fraught context of Istanbul, The Smiths' melancholic pop takes on new poignancy, asking us to listen to what the rest of the world won't. Collins was a nominee for the 2006 Turner Prize."

Link via post by @claretini / Instagram:

Both hilarious and moving, we watched all of Phil Collins' Dünya Dinlemiyor 2005 - Smiths karaoke in an Istanbul nightclub.

Link posted by I_Am_A_Disco_Dancer:

“If it’s not love…” - X-TRA
Review: Phil Collins: dünya dinlemiyor (the world won’t listen)
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
By Jennifer Wulffson

Related items:

Last edited:

Taken from UbuWeb -

"British artist Phil Collins has made work in conflicted geopolitical sites around the world, including Baghdad, Belfast, Bogotá, and Ramallah, creating nuanced representations of people and places. In a departure from much documentary and site-specific practice, Collins engages politics and pop culture in tandem, often soliciting the participation of the communities in which he works. His video installation dünya dinlemiyor (Turkish for "the world won't listen") features young people in Istanbul performing karaoke versions of songs by the 1980s band The Smiths. Within the politically fraught context of Istanbul, The Smiths' melancholic pop takes on new poignancy, asking us to listen to what the rest of the world won't. Collins was a nominee for the 2006 Turner Prize."

Link via post by @claretini / Instagram:

Both hilarious and moving, we watched all of Phil Collins' Dünya Dinlemiyor 2005 - Smiths karaoke in an Istanbul nightclub.

Related item:

Quite decent of uncle Phil.
If anybody was entitled the name uncle it must be Phil.
Now I wanna know what Moz thinks about it.
Pronto!

In Istanbuuuuuuul! GIVE ME BACK MY TONE DEAF SON!

(I have to admit, Oscillate Wildly was nicely performed.)

Are these people from the planet earth? This is scary. Is this what foreigners look like? Uncle Steve, John Lydon, Dave Evans, Ozzy, Jack, Kelly, and Herman are right. NEVER LEAVE MALIBU.

Last edited:
oh you adorable humans ! :love::lbf::thumb:

Oh come on. Like you've never drunkenly sang along while doing the dishes or something. I know I have, with similar results.

drinking while doing the dishes ?! man, you are living on the edge! ;)

drinking while doing the dishes ?! man, you are living on the edge! ;)
I haven't had a drink since May. Maybe that's part of the problem!
Don't you ever pour yourself a couple of drinks on a night with nothing better to do and then notice a bit of housework that needs doing?

I haven't had a drink since May. Maybe that's part of the problem!
Don't you ever pour yourself a couple of drinks on a night with nothing better to do and then notice a bit of housework that needs doing?

nah, I make sure to drink enough to not notice anything! ;) Actually drink is not my thing, I'm surprised you would bother touching the stuff, weren't you once a bartender?

Anyhoo, my favorites were the 'unlovable' duo, the 'Oscillate' dancer and the last two... 'performances'. It's just funny and interesting watching people be silly and just opening up/expressing themselves through these Smiths songs. And those karaoke backing tracks sounded pretty good, not that they noticed.

Last edited:
I saw this as a video installation at the SFMOMA several years ago and was deeply moved by it. Watch it in full with an open heart and if you can't see the beauty in it and connect to their love for the song, then I question why you are a Smiths fan.

nah, I make sure to drink enough to not notice anything! ;) Actually drink is not my thing, I'm surprised you would bother touching the stuff, weren't you once a bartender?

Anyhoo, my favorites were the 'unlovable' duo, the 'Oscillate' dancer and the last two... 'performances'. It's just funny watching people be silly, through Smiths songs of course. And those karaoke backing tracks sounded pretty good, not that they noticed.
The video had its charming moments, for sure. There was something endearingly Napoleon Dynamite-esque and sincere about the Oscillate Wildly portion.

Drink isn't really my thing either. I'll have two, three if I'm really going crazy, over the course of an entire night. Being a bartender definitely made me more sensitive to my limits.

The video had its charming moments, for sure. There was something endearingly Napoleon Dynamite-esque and sincere about the Oscillate Wildly portion.

Drink isn't really my thing either. I'll have two, three if I'm really going crazy, over the course of an entire night. Being a bartender definitely made me more sensitive to my limits.

yes, i did edit my post while you were replying to it, I mean yes, endearing. I think people showed something closer to a true expression of themselves through these karaoke performances when compared with people who try to cover the Smiths songs. You know what I mean? More honesty, spontaneity.

Don't know why exactly but I sense you were a good bartender.
The entertaining type, and people liked it to be sitting at your bar and talking with you and having a good time. Making jokes and feeling uplifting. Of course there would be the occasionally drunk which could be annoying but you would never treat them with disrespect.
I sense you were a professional. :thumb:

yes! i saw his car, and he must have been drinking when he decided to make that purchase ! doh:
Hey now! I love my station wagon! It has a satisfying rumble to it, it's huge, heavy, and a true delight to drive.
I had a wonderful camping trip with the family last week, and we certainly wouldn't have fit 3 people, a Great Dane and a ton of camping gear in the old car!

Hey now! I love my station wagon! It has a satisfying rumble to it, it's huge, heavy, and a true delight to drive.
I had a wonderful camping trip with the family last week, and we certainly wouldn't have fit 3 people, a Great Dane and a ton of camping gear in the old car!

my, you really are quite the 'family man'. It always surprises me to find people that were once or still are M 'fans' and they still take the marriage, house, kids, dog, route. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though it's enough to make me raise at least one if not both of my eyebrows. I guess I'm just maladjusted that way.

my, you really are quite the 'family man'. It always surprises me to find people that were once or still are M 'fans' and they still take the marriage, house, kids, dog, route. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though it's enough to make me raise at least one if not both of my eyebrows. I guess I'm just maladjusted that way.
I suppose I'm non-traditionally traditional. It's not like I have it figured out or anything. Far from it!
I mean, the marriage? It took place in a park with 4 witnesses and a senile judge who had his fly open the whole time, and then we went out for Chinese. (Minus the judge.) The dog, well, it just joined my three cats in living with us.
I have the setup, I suppose, but I don't really value the stereotypical extras. The missus and I are really low maintenance.
My daughter is another story, but she's 9 so it's forgivable for now.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom