Curious discrepancies between the Penguin UK/Putnam US editions of Autobiography

An anonymous person writes:

I picked up my copy of the American edition of Autobiography today and started reading through it, and when I reached the part of the book where Jake is introduced, I noticed that his picture was missing. I didn't really think anything of it, but then I realized that his section of the book is heavily edited, with certain paragraphs detailing the relationship truncated considerably and some lines and anecdotes omitted entirely. What's really strange is how trivial some of these changes are; for example, in the UK version of the book, Morrissey describes a night out with Jake and Chrissie Hynde at a Battersea pub, but in the American version it is only Morrissey with Chrissie.

This part of the book contains the only editorial differences between the UK/US editions I've noticed so far, though I haven't read through it all so there could be more. However, I find these changes very odd and they stymy the flow of Morrissey's prose somewhat, to the extent that it actually lessens the emotional intensity of what I consider to be one of the most moving sections of the book. I'm wondering if the press frenzy that followed the publication of the book made either Jake or Morrissey uncomfortable, which led to these revisions. Obviously, this is purely conjecture as there's no way I could possibly know for sure. I just can't really think of any other explanation.

Has anyone else noticed this?

UPDATE Dec. 4:

joe frady also adds:

The British Hard Version is similarly trimmed. No 'walked in and stayed for 2 years, or 'I becomes we'. No British Airways brothers/lovers anecdote, whole Dublin/Dr Anthony Clare/Sherborne episode excised, no tea in the bath, someone to answer the telephone, etc. No teenage pic neither. And he drinks only with Chrissie in the British Flag pub.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: US version of autobiography censored??

I do not share the same views.... sorry ladies.... as much as you want - he likes a little t and a as well. Just telling like he said it ...

Some people don't want to believe the truth. They would rather damn someone for not fitting into their little boxes than accept that people don't all neatly fit into a category. I don't care either way. I'll never have a chance with him. I hope he's loved and happy. His music has given me comfort and peace and I will be forever grateful to him for that. What he does in his PRIVATE live means nothing to me.

For goodness sake. At the end of the day, someone's sexual orientation resides in their head and they are what they tell you they are. I can understand raising an eyebrow if what someone says is plainly inconsistent with what they do. But what's the basis for scepticism in this case? Gaydar? God whispering in your ear? Your ability to see into people's souls?

For goodness sake. At the end of the day, someone's sexual orientation resides in their head and they are what they tell you they are. I can understand raising an eyebrow if what someone says is plainly inconsistent with what they do. But what's the basis for scepticism in this case? Gaydar? God whispering in your ear? Your ability to see into people's souls?

oh stop. You really don't see any inconsistency and that's fine but there are pages of people writing about the basis for their skepticism already. If you won't bother to read that why ask for it all to be written again? Time to agree to disagree and realize it only matters to the individual anyway. Why should you care what I think he does or doesn't do? My theory on it all is obvious to me just from listening to his music and that's probably the only relevance it has to the fan is how it might affect the way you interpret the lyrics. I'm not even sure the point of any art is to decode it and get the meaning anyway. His personal life is what it is. Thinking about a person's art is one thing but to try to know them as a person through it and be angry about defending the views you have formed is pointless.

That's your experience and your opinion and I respect that. That's not everyone's experience and opinion and you should respect that. I'm a gay male and I believe morrissey when he says he's not gay. I believe him because I have friends that feel the same way. Their lives would be easier if they could classify themselves as hetro or homo but they have been in love with both sexes. Bisexual is not acceptable to the straight population or the gay population. It does exist. And your comments are damning to those who are in between. You're so angry at morrissey for not coming out. He's been out he has stated again and again and again that he has loved and has been in relationships with males and females. It would be so much easier if he said he was gay. He can't classify himself because it's not tidy. It's none of our f***ing business who he f***s. That's between him and his male or female partner. You want a gay role model turn to Boy George - George Michael - Neil tennant - Ricky Martin - Elton John. Moz isn't it. I'm good with that. I love his voice and his lyrics and his passion and I appreciate what he's sacrificed to give the world those things. I appreciate his integrity I dont agree with everything he says but I respect that he stands up for what he believes in no matter what shite he gets for it. You think someone like that would be afraid to say he's homosexual if he was in fact homosexual? Wake up! Think outside of your little world. We're not all the same. Thats what makes us interesting. If we all had the same experiences and beliefs life would be so boring we'd all hang ourselves by age 8.

Bravo. Well stated.

That's your experience and your opinion and I respect that. That's not everyone's experience and opinion and you should respect that. I'm a gay male and I believe morrissey when he says he's not gay. I believe him because I have friends that feel the same way. Their lives would be easier if they could classify themselves as hetro or homo but they have been in love with both sexes. Bisexual is not acceptable to the straight population or the gay population. It does exist. And your comments are damning to those who are in between. You're so angry at morrissey for not coming out. He's been out he has stated again and again and again that he has loved and has been in relationships with males and females. It would be so much easier if he said he was gay. He can't classify himself because it's not tidy. It's none of our f***ing business who he f***s. That's between him and his male or female partner. You want a gay role model turn to Boy George - George Michael - Neil tennant - Ricky Martin - Elton John. Moz isn't it. I'm good with that. I love his voice and his lyrics and his passion and I appreciate what he's sacrificed to give the world those things. I appreciate his integrity I dont agree with everything he says but I respect that he stands up for what he believes in no matter what shite he gets for it. You think someone like that would be afraid to say he's homosexual if he was in fact homosexual? Wake up! Think outside of your little world. We're not all the same. Thats what makes us interesting. If we all had the same experiences and beliefs life would be so boring we'd all hang ourselves by age 8.

I don't think she believes there is no such thing as bisexuality. Because she actually has said as much to me. I consider myself bisexual. And yes, this identity is not fully embraced by the gay community or the straight one. Both groups think we are fence sitters. Mostly that we are AFRAID to embrace our gayness. Still keeping one foot in the heterocourt. This may be the case for some. It is not the case for me. I could care less what people think. My family is very open and would completely accept me being a lesbian. My mom knows I am bisexual, as does my son. They get it. They understand I have a capacity to love both sexes.

You say no one is obligated to come out. True. It is her/his life. And we don't know if doing so would mean their family would disown them or they could lose their jobs etc. But living in a closet, just keeps alternative sexual identities in the margins. Gives the impression it is something to hide--be ashamed of. Moz doesn't help the cause when he fails to use the term bisexual. If he truly loves both sexes, and is and can be, sexually attracted to both, then embracing this label could help so many of us bisexuals. It would help to legitimate it. Him failing to identify with it, makes us wonder why?

Many bisexual artists and celebrities--both women and men--have spoken out about their bisexuality. This has helped me see that I am not alone. Not some freak. Not a fence sitter. So now, when I say to someone, I am bisexual, they no longer roll their eyes and say, yeah right, under their breath.

Is Morrissey bisexual or gay? Only he knows. And what does it mean to be bi and not gay? Does it mean you have to have slept with both sexes? Or is simply being attracted to both enough? If a married man is attracted to some men, but has never had a sexual experience with another man, is he bisexual? Or straight? I'd say bisexual. Because it is about the recognized capacity to love both sexes, not acting on it, necessarily. A celibate, virginal priest knows his sexual orientation, most likely, even though he may have never experienced sexual activity with anyone. So if it isn't about behavior, then what is it about? Desire.

And this is where I have a problem with Morrissey being bisexual, rather than gay. He states in his book, or insinuates, he has had loving relationships with both sexes. Yet, he never claims to have ever been sexually attracted to any woman. However, he has made numerous references indicating he finds men sexually desirable. So if he does not desire women, and actually finds them repulsive--especially their genitalia (see book), it is hard to believe, in my mind, that he is bisexual. He may love both. But Tina is hardly described as an object of desire, in his book. In contrast, the men are. But those sexy passages about Jake have been edited out. Why? To make Tina look sexier? To make him look more bi, as the book was tilting towards gay? That is my theory.

So is Morriseey gay and not bi? I think so. But it is for him to decide. But he seems unwilling to claim the label--the identity---and instead comes up with, yet, another label of his own. He defines 'humasexual' as loving both sexes. Maybe he does love both. Maybe 'humasexual' is a person who loves both sexes but desires only the same sex, sexually. Gay with a twist?

It is odd that he claims to hate labels, and this is why he never embraced one. Yet he then creates another label, for himself, and announces it to the world on TTY. Maybe he just wants to be in control... the one to pin a label on himself and not have it be done by the press or public? We do know he is a control freak, after all.

Last edited:

I don't think she believes there is no such thing as bisexuality. Because she actually has said as much to me. I consider myself bisexual. And yes, this identity is not fully embraced by the gay community or the straight one. Both groups think we are fence sitters. Mostly that we are AFRAID to embrace our gayness. Still keeping one foot in the heterocourt. This may be the case for some. It is not the case for me. I could care less what people think. My family is very open and would completely accept me being a lesbian. My mom knows I am bisexual, as does my son. They get it. They understand I have a capacity to love both sexes.

You say no one is obligated to come out. True. It is her/his life. And we don't know if doing so would mean their family would disown them or they could lose their jobs etc. But living in a closet, just keeps alternative sexual identities in the margins. Gives the impression it is something to hide--be ashamed of. Moz doesn't help the cause when he fails to use the term bisexual. If he truly loves both sexes, and is and can be, sexually attracted to both, then embracing this label could help so many of us bisexuals. It would help to legitimate it. Him failing to identify with it, makes us wonder why?

Many bisexual artists and celebrities--both women and men--have spoken out about their bisexuality. This has helped me see that I am not alone. Not some freak. Not a fence sitter. So now, when I say to someone, I am bisexual, they no longer roll their eyes and say, yeah right, under their breath.

Is Morrissey bisexual or gay? Only he knows. And what does it mean to be bi and not gay? Does it mean you have to have slept with both sexes? Or is simply being attracted to both enough? If a married man is attracted to some men, but has never had a sexual experience with another man, is he bisexual? Or straight? I'd say bisexual. Because it is about the recognized capacity to love both sexes, not acting on it, necessarily. A celibate, virginal priest knows his sexual orientation, most likely, even though he may have never experienced sexual activity with anyone. So if it isn't about behavior, then what is it about? Desire.

And this is where I have a problem with Morrissey being bisexual, rather than gay. He states in his book, or insinuates, he has had loving relationships with both sexes. Yet, he never claims to have ever been sexually attracted to any woman. However, he has made numerous references indicating he finds men sexually desirable. So if he does not desire women, and actually finds them repulsive--especially their genitalia (see book), it is hard to believe, in my mind, that he is bisexual. He may love both. But Tina is hardly described as an object of desire, in his book. In contrast, the men are. But those sexy passages about Jake have been edited out. Why? To make Tina look sexier? To make him look more bi, as the book was tilting towards gay? That is my theory.

So is Morriseey gay and not bi? I think so. But it is for him to decide. But he seems unwilling to claim the label--the identity---and instead comes up with, yet, another label of his own. He defines 'humasexual' as loving both sexes. Maybe he does love both. Maybe 'humasexual' is a person who loves both sexes but desires only the same sex, sexually. Gay with a twist?

It is odd that he claims to hate labels, and this is why he never embraced one. Yet he then creates another label, for himself, and announces it to the world on TTY. Maybe he just wants to be in control... the one to pin a label on himself and not have it be done by the press or public? We do know he is a control freak, after all.

I don't think it's a label, at all. It is so deliberately broad as to be essentially meaningless, and I think this is a deliberate strategy on Morrissey's part. As for why he doesn't simply claim to be bisexual or gay, I think he is trying to tell us that, for him, gender is irrelevant. He is attracted to the person; their gender is not a consideration.

It could also be another example of Morrissey being plain awkward and refusing to play the game. It has been known. :)

I don't think it's a label, at all. It is so deliberately broad as to be essentially meaningless, and I think this is a deliberate strategy on Morrissey's part.

It is a label. It is a noun. Like all nouns that involve identity, it has attributes/characteristics which signify what it is. Describe it. Same with humasexual. Or homosexual or bisexual. Problem is, like you said, he doesn't clearly define his new and improved concept/label, so we are left to fill in the gaps.

As for why he doesn't simply claim to be bisexual or gay, I think he is trying to tell us that, for him, gender is irrelevant. He is attracted to the person; their gender is not a consideration.

Sexual identity/orientation is not the same as gender. Morrissey has a masculine gender identity. He has a humasexual sexual orientation. Whatever that means. He doesn't skirt the gender issue, or even transcend it. Just the orientation one. The fourth sex was about sexual orientation, not gender.

It could also be another example of Morrissey being plain awkward and refusing to play the game. It has been known. :)

Yes. I think so too.

Why do we care what the word is for where Morrissey puts his penis? :straightface:

He prefers men, I don't think he would give a woman the satisfaction of actually admitting that he finds one attractive.
He has control issues with woman. My humble opinion. :)

You know what... I actually agree with nearly everything in this post. You seem like a very nice and intelligent person. I don't know what else to say: I'm sorry. I was a moron, and it feels surprisingly good to realize that.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, although I don't think you are. It's okay :) You know, it takes guts to...admit to being 'wrong', whatever that means. We very well ALL could be wrong! And we must be okay with that. Or else...go mental.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, although I don't think you are. It's okay :) You know, it takes guts to...admit to being 'wrong', whatever that means. We very well ALL could be wrong! And we must be okay with that. Or else...go mental.

I wasn't being sarcastic! I was wrong about you. I was the idiot. I guess it's a rare thing to say on the Internet.

Why do we care what the word is for where Morrissey puts his penis? :straightface:

We don't care at all, Morrissey started, long time ago, this absurd game of teasing and pleasing, increasing curiosity around him, we're just asking: why? Maybe if we say loud and clear how much we don't care he'll stop. He does'nt like women and it's not a problem for me.

I wasn't being sarcastic! I was wrong about you. I was the idiot. I guess it's a rare thing to say on the Internet.

Don't beat yourself up. There's a first time for everything, right?

No hard feelings!

- - - Updated - - -

This! :thumb:

i read the UK version of the book, and expect the hardcover to arrive tomorrow. i have a hard time understanding all the haters, guessing only that they hate just because they can. i found the book to be a great read, intense at times. my wife isnt really into morrissey, or knows much about him, but i read her passages from the book and she was very moved. when i read it, i felt like i was there . the language, the vivid descriptions and depictions, are even better than i expected, even from morrissey. its a beautiful book, i treasure it . curiously, it ended with a thud, as if the printer ran out of ink. i knew nothing about frank mccourt, and loved angela's ashes. morrissey book is at least as good, in my eyes better. morrissey takes stands and states his convictions unflinchingly. i cant say enough good things, and few bad about the book. i am glad to have read it, and proud to own it.

I know you did NOT compare Morrissey's ramblings to "Angela's Ashes" 'Tis a good thing I have ADD because Moz's jumps back and forth between years, decades and times were a bit hard to follow. I read this book in spits and spurts. Angela's Ashes I read twice because I would laugh so hard my kids and my husband thought I was crying and they would come into the living room and I'd have to reread the whole page to them. We quote heavily from Angela's Ashes, four years after i read it. Morrissey's book...NOTHING stood out as monumentous...he wore me to death prattling on and on and on and on about the court case. THAT was the only detailed part of the book.

I bought the US edition. Anywhere online I can read the Jake section unedited, not just a list of changed sentences?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom