Curious discrepancies between the Penguin UK/Putnam US editions of Autobiography

An anonymous person writes:

I picked up my copy of the American edition of Autobiography today and started reading through it, and when I reached the part of the book where Jake is introduced, I noticed that his picture was missing. I didn't really think anything of it, but then I realized that his section of the book is heavily edited, with certain paragraphs detailing the relationship truncated considerably and some lines and anecdotes omitted entirely. What's really strange is how trivial some of these changes are; for example, in the UK version of the book, Morrissey describes a night out with Jake and Chrissie Hynde at a Battersea pub, but in the American version it is only Morrissey with Chrissie.

This part of the book contains the only editorial differences between the UK/US editions I've noticed so far, though I haven't read through it all so there could be more. However, I find these changes very odd and they stymy the flow of Morrissey's prose somewhat, to the extent that it actually lessens the emotional intensity of what I consider to be one of the most moving sections of the book. I'm wondering if the press frenzy that followed the publication of the book made either Jake or Morrissey uncomfortable, which led to these revisions. Obviously, this is purely conjecture as there's no way I could possibly know for sure. I just can't really think of any other explanation.

Has anyone else noticed this?

UPDATE Dec. 4:

joe frady also adds:

The British Hard Version is similarly trimmed. No 'walked in and stayed for 2 years, or 'I becomes we'. No British Airways brothers/lovers anecdote, whole Dublin/Dr Anthony Clare/Sherborne episode excised, no tea in the bath, someone to answer the telephone, etc. No teenage pic neither. And he drinks only with Chrissie in the British Flag pub.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
He is clever. The 5 cut sentences highlight just how sexual and close their relationship was.

Interesting that in 2010 he ridiculed a conversation about partners discovering each other in such a fashion. He replied to the conversation with an interview with Linder Sterling saying that it is strange that people don't know how to have sex anymore these days, that he prefers horses and that women have headlights, which was a pretty unnatural description of breasts. I guess it is typical for Morrissey's double tonguedness. Just as in this typical gay cultural way he described his schools as the most violent and grim places, when he then moved on to fiddle around with his best friend and years later puts a microphone cable around his own neck on stages and his fans applaud him and find the indication of those sucidal tendencies sexy to the extend that they claim on the internet to get hard ones from seeing it. Why then include this section in the book where the teacher supposedly doesn't care about a girl wanting to kill herself in class? Future scholars will have a lot to do when they'll contrast this work against what he put out in music, interviews and stage performance.

Morrissey does not tell the truth in interviews. I used to assume this initially, but most things don't add up. If you drop this idea, you'll very soon get a more accurate picture. I also used to assume that he tells stories in songs, inspired by others, that he for example sang about James Makers homosexual experiences and not his own. Nowadays I am convinced that Jake wasn't his first homosexual experience and he clearly stated this in an early penpal letter as has been pointed out numerous times. I initially thought that Morrissey often says the opposite of what he meant. So neither the assumption that Morrissey tells the truth in interviews nor that he sings about his life will get you anywhere. He is also a master of omission. You have to put the pieces together yourself. I first thought that with the autobiography this isn't necessary anymore, but even here you have to add the information from elsewhere. I recommend however, to just get a proper university education in a useful subject and then go on to make a million with a good cause, vegetarian restaurant for example, instead of waste your life with analyzing Morrissey. I had luckily done this before I encoundered the Morrissey myth. (Just noticed that I need to stress now that I am not BrummyBoy.)

You people are slow of course jake wasn't his first.

I disagree. Why would a friendship be daunting. He's describing unconditional love. It's not lust or obsession it's love. He also described it as the happiest time of his life and "whatever is sought" is found. I think Tina is his soul mate. "The life I now lead is not the same as I've always lived" It reads as he was shocked that that sort of relationship was possible because he's never had it before. Friends don't soften you love does. It is totally possible he doesn't like women but fell in love with this one. It's possible the Jake portion was edited to emphasize his realationship with Tina. That's ongoing " to this day" and lifetime constant" and how can she be token Tina when she's the only person in the book that's in the acknowledgements. Linder is a dear friend and she wasn't thanked. James Maker is a friend and he wasn't thanked. You're ignoring these bits to prove your point of view.

I think you've been reading too many Jane Austen novels. You are looking for something to confirm this bias you have about love... soul mates and romantic love and unconditional love and a happy ending and love lasts forever.

Whatever role Tina performed in Moz's life, my guess is that she is now a was. Now that hairdresser, he is someone you should be focusing on if you want answers. :)

I think you've been reading too many Jane Austen novels. You are looking for something to confirm this bias you have about love... soul mates and romantic love and unconditional love and a happy ending and love lasts forever.

Whatever role Tina performed in Moz's life, my guess is that she is now a was. Now that hairdresser, he is someone you should be focusing on if you want answers. :)

And you're not looking for something to confirm YOUR BIAS? I've never read a Jane Austen novel but I know what true love is and is not. Your dismissing positive parts about females in the book and harping on the negative. Yes he is attracted to men. Yes he is attracted to women. Does he lean more toward men? Yes he does. Does that mean he can't be in love and attracted to a woman? No it doesn't?

He did a radio interview around the time YATQ was released and the interviewer asked him about his sexuality. Moz gave his usual response and when pressed and taunted about why he wouldn't elaborate. Moz said what would you say if I told you I was very close to a woman. And the interviewer said something like I would die of shock or not believe you. Moz replied so why should I bother telling you. I'll find that interview and post it.

BTW Damon the assistant is as straight as a board. That's a verified fact.

Totally agree! The hairdresser follows him everywhere and, maybe I read another book, it's quite clear that Tina belongs to the past and I think the word "Token" is perfect for her role in the book. It would be better edit this part no Jake's part, but low commercial strategy are stronger than truth.

Did it occur to anyone that Morrissey omitted the passages in order to protect Jake and not himself?At least, that's what he may be thinking. It's one thing to make proclamations about yourself, but it another thing when
you do it to others.

Could this be another example of Morrissey's pattern of one-sided relationships? He's always saying he falls for people
that don't necessarily feel the same way about him.

Whether he deleted it protect Jake or whatever reason is far too late now. Everyone who read the UK version knows about their relationship so taking it out of the US version doesn’t change that it happened. The jig is up.

It's unlikely he's ashamed, and furthermore would so blatantly alter his work for that reason when doing so would only advertise and accentuate his supposed shame and regret.

I think you people should assume he has his own reasons for the revisions which may be beyond the scope of your collective...for lack of a better word, mind.

Aye..

And you're not looking for something to confirm YOUR BIAS? I've never read a Jane Austen novel but I know what true love is and is not. Your dismissing positive parts about females in the book and harping on the negative. Yes he is attracted to men. Yes he is attracted to women. Does he lean more toward men? Yes he does. Does that mean he can't be in love and attracted to a woman? No it doesn't?

He did a radio interview around the time YATQ was released and the interviewer asked him about his sexuality. Moz gave his usual response and when pressed and taunted about why he wouldn't elaborate. Moz said what would you say if I told you I was very close to a woman. And the interviewer said something like I would die of shock or not believe you. Moz replied so why should I bother telling you. I'll find that interview and post it.

2006 NME Interview
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/53846-NME-interview-part-2

How do you feel when people constantly question your sexuality?

“Sometimes it’s interesting, but it’s not interesting when people don’t question it and just assume, because it seems as if they know more than I do – then it’s quite boring. We all have sexuality and why is mine so unique? So I very childishly feel inclined to say nothing at all and often wonder if I did say to people that I am very close to somebody who is female, what would the reaction be?”

Probably utter shock.

“Well there you go, so it’s best I say absolutely nothing.”

How do you feel when gay groups get angry that you’re not saying anything as if it’s almost your duty to define your preferences?

“(Splutters cocktail) My duty to do what? To speak out at what? From where? To whom?”

There are people who believe it’d be beneficial if you were to say you were gay.

“How would that help anybody? I do often find that people who listen and who are homo, or however you’d like to say it, want to believe in that aspect of the songs and people who listen who are hetero – it’s cringeworthy using both terms, but how else can I say it? – they want to believe in that aspect of the songs. It’s all down to the ear of the beholder. I’m not going to interfere.”

Totally agree! The hairdresser follows him everywhere and, maybe I read another book, it's quite clear that Tina belongs to the past and I think the word "Token" is perfect for her role in the book. It would be better edit this part no Jake's part, but low commercial strategy are stronger than truth.

You know nothing. Your statement is absolutely false. Why do you think he spends so much time in LA? You're jealous of Tina so you're belittling their relationship. Women are horrible to other women. I'm happy to be a male.

You know nothing. Your statement is absolutely false. Why do you think he spends so much time in LA? You're jealous of Tina so you're belittling their relationship. Women are horrible to other women. I'm happy to be a male.

How do you know anon is female? Women are NOT horrible to other women. What a silly, lazy, and untrue cliche. And there is no gay, anti-hetero conspiracy here. And no 'jealous woman' having a motive to dismiss Tina as the real deal. Pointing out that Tina is a 'token' planted in the book does not make one a misogynist. However, some of Moz's word choices and phrases do make one question whether or not that feminist banner he was flying back in the 80s was just a part of his shtick. The image factory is alive and kicking--always. I think the edits were image related. Pure and simple. Clean up on pages...

Last edited:

Damon is straight as a board? Proof please.

Hilarious. You know what true love is and what it isn't. So, you are the expert in finding the love story within Moz's autobiography. And an expert in deciphering his cryptic interview responses. Amazing. Maybe you should hang a sign--go into business. Love profiling. And move out west. There is a market for that crap here.

PS - If you are going to claim to be an authority on hetero-romantic love, you really need to familiarize yourself with Austen's works.

Damon is straight as a board? Proof please.

Hilarious. You know what true love is and what it isn't. So, you are the expert in finding the love story within Moz's autobiography. And an expert in deciphering his cryptic interview responses. Amazing. Maybe you should hang a sign--go into business. Love profiling. And move out west. There is a market for that crap here.

PS - If you are going to claim to be an authority on hetero-romantic love, you really need to familiarize yourself with Austen's works.

Damon's daughter and girlfriend are proof enough. Do you have anything better to do that post on this site 28 hours a day? Go interact with humans you might someday become one. You should be sued for libel.

I bought the UK paperback version. It's a good thing I have ADD...at times I question whether he actually wrote this book. Certain spellings of words caught my attention. The clear absence of the letter "U" in certain words- actually in a LOT of words (glamor, neighbor, behavior)... and the use of the letter "Z" in many of the words (realize, etc).

I bought the UK paperback version. It's a good thing I have ADD...at times I question whether he actually wrote this book. Certain spellings of words caught my attention. The clear absence of the letter "U" in certain words- actually in a LOT of words (glamor, neighbor, behavior)... and the use of the letter "Z" in many of the words (realize, etc).

This thread is not about those grammar idiosyncrasies. It is about the 'Jake' edits in the US hardcover release.

Ummm. He dedicated the story of his life to her. He's often in Los Angeles where she lives. I bet you a dollar the Swords cover was shot in the canyon she calls home. She's not a WAS, she's his best kept secret. And he's not strictly gay which you keep making him. Just accept he has a nurturing woman in his life and let them be.

If I'm honest, this incident has me wanting to stop listening to Morrissey forever. (And by the way, I'm not under any delusion this would make a difference anyone other than me.)

It's one thing for Moz to be a "private" person who doesn't want to be "pigeonholed." That's fair enough, but this goes way beyond that. At a certain point the internalized homophobia, left unchecked, becomes outright poisonous. I don't want to be exposed to it or exalt it anymore. These cuts to the book send a terrible message.

The most "benign" interpretation I can think of is that the cuts were made in deference somehow to Jake Walters...but as many others have said, there is no indication that Walters is/was uncomfortable with inclusion in the book. In fact, there seems to be evidence to the contrary.

Ummm. He dedicated the story of his life to her. He's often in Los Angeles where she lives. I bet you a dollar the Swords cover was shot in the canyon she calls home. She's not a WAS, she's his best kept secret. And he's not strictly gay which you keep making him. Just accept he has a nurturing woman in his life and let them be.

He also dedicated his story to Julia Riley. Think he is sleeping with her as well? First of all, we don't even know that Tina is real. Is she a plant--a fictitious person introduced in the book to paint a bisexual image for the reader? Or a pseudonym for Moz himself or another person? No pics of them together. No pics of her on the Net. No social media for her. No history, shy of an address in Woodland Hills. Could be Tina. Maybe not. Could be another Tina. There are quite a few with her name out there. That is all you have to go on to formulate your hypothesis that the Swords cover is related to her.

Even if there was a Tina. It was more companionate love than passionate love. She may still be near and dear to him. But not as a lover. I don't think for a second he spends so much time in LA because of 'Tina.' He has been residing there since the late nineties... way before he supposedly met her. And apparently he still owns property there. He loves LA for un-Tina reasons, obviously.

I think it is you who cannot accept that he is gay. It ruins all chances for you--in your mind. You need to keep the fantasy alive. You are not the only hetero female that experienced cognitive dissonance when reading the book. So you make that little Tina molehill into that hetero mountain. You had to. The truth is too painful. I could care less who he sleeps with. Or which sex he desires. I am not sexually attracted to the man. You are. Gay is not an aphrodisiac for the obsessed hetero-female Moz fan.

Notice how all the Go-Tina cheerleaders are hetero females? You may be too wrapped up in the delusions to see it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom