An anonymous person writes:
I picked up my copy of the American edition of Autobiography today and started reading through it, and when I reached the part of the book where Jake is introduced, I noticed that his picture was missing. I didn't really think anything of it, but then I realized that his section of the book is heavily edited, with certain paragraphs detailing the relationship truncated considerably and some lines and anecdotes omitted entirely. What's really strange is how trivial some of these changes are; for example, in the UK version of the book, Morrissey describes a night out with Jake and Chrissie Hynde at a Battersea pub, but in the American version it is only Morrissey with Chrissie.
This part of the book contains the only editorial differences between the UK/US editions I've noticed so far, though I haven't read through it all so there could be more. However, I find these changes very odd and they stymy the flow of Morrissey's prose somewhat, to the extent that it actually lessens the emotional intensity of what I consider to be one of the most moving sections of the book. I'm wondering if the press frenzy that followed the publication of the book made either Jake or Morrissey uncomfortable, which led to these revisions. Obviously, this is purely conjecture as there's no way I could possibly know for sure. I just can't really think of any other explanation.
Has anyone else noticed this?
UPDATE Dec. 4:
joe frady also adds:
The British Hard Version is similarly trimmed. No 'walked in and stayed for 2 years, or 'I becomes we'. No British Airways brothers/lovers anecdote, whole Dublin/Dr Anthony Clare/Sherborne episode excised, no tea in the bath, someone to answer the telephone, etc. No teenage pic neither. And he drinks only with Chrissie in the British Flag pub.
- MORRISSEY’S GAY RELATIONSHIP REPORTEDLY EDITED OUT OF US COPIES OF AUTOBIOGRAPHY - FACT Magazine. Link posted by wemissumoz.
- Morrissey - Morrissey's Male Lover Edited From U.s. Book Release - WENN / ContactMusic.com
- 5 Intimate Lines Cut From U.S. Version of Morrissey's Book - Fuse. Link posted by an anonymous person.
- Morrissey's Intimate Relationship With Another Man Reportedly Removed From U.S. 'Autobiography' - Huffington Post. Link from Lee.
- Morrissey’s Relationship With Jake Walters Omitted From American Release & British Hardcover Editions of His Autobiography - 2020k. Link posted by 2020k.