Curious discrepancies between the Penguin UK/Putnam US editions of Autobiography

An anonymous person writes:

I picked up my copy of the American edition of Autobiography today and started reading through it, and when I reached the part of the book where Jake is introduced, I noticed that his picture was missing. I didn't really think anything of it, but then I realized that his section of the book is heavily edited, with certain paragraphs detailing the relationship truncated considerably and some lines and anecdotes omitted entirely. What's really strange is how trivial some of these changes are; for example, in the UK version of the book, Morrissey describes a night out with Jake and Chrissie Hynde at a Battersea pub, but in the American version it is only Morrissey with Chrissie.

This part of the book contains the only editorial differences between the UK/US editions I've noticed so far, though I haven't read through it all so there could be more. However, I find these changes very odd and they stymy the flow of Morrissey's prose somewhat, to the extent that it actually lessens the emotional intensity of what I consider to be one of the most moving sections of the book. I'm wondering if the press frenzy that followed the publication of the book made either Jake or Morrissey uncomfortable, which led to these revisions. Obviously, this is purely conjecture as there's no way I could possibly know for sure. I just can't really think of any other explanation.

Has anyone else noticed this?

UPDATE Dec. 4:

joe frady also adds:

The British Hard Version is similarly trimmed. No 'walked in and stayed for 2 years, or 'I becomes we'. No British Airways brothers/lovers anecdote, whole Dublin/Dr Anthony Clare/Sherborne episode excised, no tea in the bath, someone to answer the telephone, etc. No teenage pic neither. And he drinks only with Chrissie in the British Flag pub.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
The sadness of this is that only these passages were deleted. A more thoughtful American edition would have reduced the book to it's title and a blank page. It's not an Autobiography. It's just nonsense. And if it's a Penguin Classic: I have a bridge to sell you.

I wonder if this might be the "content issue" that caused the UK release to be delayed.

Have they completely removed the references to their love affair?
I am wondering if it was done to downplay the whole 'homosexual' aspect for the US market, which can be a bit touchy about these things in conservative areas. Either that, or maybe Jake objected, and asked to be removed?

i read the UK version of the book, and expect the hardcover to arrive tomorrow. i have a hard time understanding all the haters, guessing only that they hate just because they can. i found the book to be a great read, intense at times. my wife isnt really into morrissey, or knows much about him, but i read her passages from the book and she was very moved. when i read it, i felt like i was there . the language, the vivid descriptions and depictions, are even better than i expected, even from morrissey. its a beautiful book, i treasure it . curiously, it ended with a thud, as if the printer ran out of ink. i knew nothing about frank mccourt, and loved angela's ashes. morrissey book is at least as good, in my eyes better. morrissey takes stands and states his convictions unflinchingly. i cant say enough good things, and few bad about the book. i am glad to have read it, and proud to own it.

i read the UK version of the book, and expect the hardcover to arrive tomorrow. i have a hard time understanding all the haters, guessing only that they hate just because they can. i found the book to be a great read, intense at times. my wife isnt really into morrissey, or knows much about him, but i read her passages from the book and she was very moved. when i read it, i felt like i was there . the language, the vivid descriptions and depictions, are even better than i expected, even from morrissey. its a beautiful book, i treasure it . curiously, it ended with a thud, as if the printer ran out of ink. i knew nothing about frank mccourt, and loved angela's ashes. morrissey book is at least as good, in my eyes better. morrissey takes stands and states his convictions unflinchingly. i cant say enough good things, and few bad about the book. i am glad to have read it, and proud to own it.

your writing style is almost as abyssmal as Morrissey and his 'stream of consciousness'.
thanks for sharing your 'review'. i LOL'd.

Yeah and I noticed that the remastered version of Ouija Board Ouija Board is missing the entire end part about the table rumbling, and the 2013 version Kill Uncle has a song on it from a totally unrelated session dating back a year earlier.

WTF Morrissey!!!!

Yeah and I noticed that the remastered version of Ouija Board Ouija Board is missing the entire end part about the table rumbling, and the 2013 version Kill Uncle has a song on it from a totally unrelated session dating back a year earlier.

WTF Morrissey!!!!

yeah moz hahahahh what gives

The UK 'special edition' hardback is out tomorrow - can someone have a shufty and see if the text in this version has been amended as well?

your writing style is almost as abyssmal as Morrissey and his 'stream of consciousness'.

I'm sure I'm not the only person sickened by the irony of BB (of all people!) complaining about anyone else's "abyssmal" (sic) writing style. Does he never read his own irrelevant "stream of consciousness" drivel that regularly pollutes this site (long after he's insisted he's never coming back)? The fact is that BB, like several on here, can't bear Morrissey's success. The book is selling well everywhere and BB can't bear it. If BB considers his own rambling, self-admiring writing style to be sparkling, insightful, succinct and commanding, it's unsurprising he fails as a literary critic.

So says Bummer Boy who for some reason thinks he is superior to everyone else. Unfortunately 99% of posters on here think he is a bell end? Lol

Probably due to to Morrissey's sudden decision that he is not really a homosexual just because he likes the cock.

It was a commercial decision (after the famous "dispute over content", I imagine) made so as not to offend large parts of the American market.

Oh for f***s sake you honestly think there's any chance a person who is dumb enough to be homophobic would pick up M's autobiography? They're usually too stupid to read anything besides the bible or people mag. A decision was obviously made, but not for fear of offending Americans, who are largely on the right side of history regarding gay issues anyway as the bigots die off.

the only sad thing on here is you,as for the bridge,will give u 10 pence,deal or no deal? oh birminghams finest :lbf:

Oh for f***s sake you honestly think there's any chance a person who is dumb enough to be homophobic would pick up M's autobiography? They're usually too stupid to read anything besides the bible or people mag. A decision was obviously made, but not for fear of offending Americans, who are largely on the right side of history regarding gay issues anyway as the bigots die off.

:thumb:

The British Hard Version is similarly trimmed. No 'walked in and stayed for 2 years, or 'I becomes we'. No British Airways brothers/lovers anecdote, whole Dublin/Dr Anthony Clare/Sherborne episode excised, no tea in the bath, someone to answer the telephone, etc. No teenage pic neither. And he drinks only with Chrissie in the British Flag pub.

Queer.

Couldn't see many extra colour photos, just LP covers, and some Moz clan pics.

Wonder which unabridged version David will read tomorrow?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom